I am in the market for a new guitar and saw a pretty cheap epiphone black beauty. I currently play my brothers squier strat through a peavy vypyr 30W. I listen mainly to alt/indie stuff like interpol, the strokes, band of horses, coldplay, the flaming lips, the thrills, kings of leon, oasis, radiohead, the shins, the stills, mgmt, and a little wilco, but also to modern rock (weezer, the darkness, the foo fighters, the parlor mob) and classic/arena rock (U2, guns'n'roses, boston, queen, bruce springsteen, the rolling stones, the beatles).
How would a les paul do in this kinds of genres? Or should I wait till a cheap strat or tele shows up on craigslist?
They'd do great Plus they are incredibly sexy guitars and great for the money!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Hmmm... it almost seems like a Tele or a Strat would be your best option. A Les Paul does great with all of those bands, especially Guns N Roses, but I think it wouldn't suit you best.

What's your budget perhaps?
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
I would go with an Ibanez Semi-hollow or a nice telecaster.But not a les paul.
I'm back. Cower in fear, mortals.

Claudio Sanchez is my hero.
well alot of those bands use Les Pauls, and an epi black beauty is a pretty versatile guitar. if you think you're getting a pretty good deal on the epi then i say go for it.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
And I would consider a different.i'm not a fan of the vypers.Peaveys are generally good though.

If you like Kings of Leon,I know one of them has a semi-hollow and one has a sweet gibson firebird.

For most of those bands single coils are your best bet. Any of the hollow Epiphones (Dot, Sheraton, Riviera etc.) would probably be better than the LP but you'd have to put single coil pickups in it. Tele or start could also get the job done. I play the same types of music and found that a Les Paul Special with P90s fits perfectly, if you can find a guitar with P90s in it you'll probably love it.
thanks for all the advice but the guitar in question is actually a lefty, so i wont be buying it
But how about a firebird? i saw a sweet black one on ebay for not too much. Also, what is the heaviest you guys can push a semi-hollow body without it feeding back?
Dude go for it, if it's a good deal....The sound would be great for that style and the guitar is damn gorgeous(The first female i really loved-Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty):P
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Quote by blackjack48
thanks for all the advice but the guitar in question is actually a lefty, so i wont be buying it

Pfffff I just saw that:P
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Quote by Kosh H
If you like Kings of Leon,I know one of them has a semi-hollow and one has a sweet gibson firebird.

ermm.. it's a thunderbird bass
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
well what you can do is get the black beauty and replace the stock pups with some ones that are able to be coil tapped...then you can get a single coil sound out of them adding to the different directions the guitar can go
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Go for an Epi but with P90's (Or a Burny might be better still). The classic humbuvker sound won't hurt but to capture that range of sounds P90's are best. You won't be disappointed. Did you know the original Gibson BB had P90's? So did the '74 re-issue. Clean it has all the tone you could ever ask for but cramk it a bit and..... well Mick Box from Uriah Heep wouldn't use anything else.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x