Hey I'm a beginner and this will be my first guitar and decided to go with an acoustic. I've done as much research as I could before I finally posted a question.

I got it narrowed down to a Takamine G340C or a Takamine G440C

From my understanding the 440 has a laminated top and laminated tops are bad compared to solid tops, in which the 340 is solid. But...I'm worried about the solidtop 340 being a dreadnought, in which ,from my understanding, is a bigger guitar. I'm a pretty small guy and a beginner so I'm leaning more towards the 440 which I think is smaller than the Dreadnought...

Is my reasoning correct?

P.S I was also looking at a Dean Performer Archtop which is also a solidtop cutaway. But its electric/acoustic...
If any i'd go for the Dean. Electric/acoustic means that you can amplify it but its still an acoustic guitar, but with pickups or a mic. But seeing as you're new, worry about playability rather than tone.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I honestly can't even find any model named G340C or G440C. Are you sure you aren't looking at the EG340SC and EG440SC?

Also, I would strongly advise against the dean. They just aren't well built at all. If you need electronics, you can not cheap out. Around $400+ USD is when an acoustic-electric is even worth buying.

The reason for avoiding cheap guitars with electronics is because the cost of the electronics is at least about $75. So if you're paying only $200ish, how well built do you think the rest of the guitar is? Probably and most likely, not very.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Ya dude, check out guitarcenter.com
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-G440C-Acoustic-Guitar-516422-i1148979.gc

sorry the solid top one is G340SC
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-G340SC-Solid-Top-Cutaway-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-516423-i1148980.gc

Ya that's exactly what I assumed about the Dean and thats why I really don't want one with electronics at all, I never plan on hooking up to an amp anyway.

So I guess I'll go with the G440c ? but it doesn't have a solid top.....is that cool?
I just think the dreadnaught G340c will be too big for me, or should I say more difficult to play compared to the other smaller guitar.

I wish I could just sit down and hear it for myself, but the GuitarCenter here doesn't have it.
Even though the 340 is bigger, I would still suggest it over the 440. The solid top makes a huge difference, and at this price point, you should accept nothing less than a solid top. Yes, it may be bigger, but it's still manageable. Unless you're under 4 feet, you can handle a dread. Once you get used to it, electric guitars will feel like toys.
Equipment:

Quote by 01GT
Hey I'm a beginner and this will be my first guitar and decided to go with an acoustic. I've done as much research as I could before I finally posted a question.

Good to hear some people have intelligence

I got it narrowed down to a Takamine G340C or a Takamine G440C

From my understanding the 440 has a laminated top and laminated tops are bad compared to solid tops, in which the 340 is solid. But...I'm worried about the solidtop 340 being a dreadnought, in which ,from my understanding, is a bigger guitar. I'm a pretty small guy and a beginner so I'm leaning more towards the 440 which I think is smaller than the Dreadnought...

The 440 is a jumbo - unless the picture is very misleading. It won't be any smaller than the dreadnought. Most likely bigger.

Is my reasoning correct?

P.S I was also looking at a Dean Performer Archtop which is also a solidtop cutaway. But its electric/acoustic...

Ignore the Dean, they make rubbish acoustics anyway.

I agree with Captivate, if any of them you should buy the solid top. But if you havn't played any of them I think I'd recommend against buying either. Since it's your first guitar there isn't a whole lot of point in playing them before you buy, because you most likely won't know what to look for! I've headr mixed reviews about those ranges so I think I'd avoid them.

I'd actually go for this;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519049

I can personally vouch for the quality of this guitar, as can many others on here. If you started a thread asking for the best beginners guitar for $300 (even though there's a sticky on it, 4/5 people would probably say the FG730s.

Edit: And if you do buy one, get the natural finish or I'll kick your head in.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 21, 2009,
I ordered the Takamine G340SC. Thanks for all your knowledge and advice, helping me make my decision!
I bought a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo and I really love it, you should try it, it has a solid cedar top and its not a dreaghtnought.
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
I love the mini jumbo as well. If I ever have enough money to spare, im buying one for playing/learning fingerstyle on. My martin's neck is just too small for me to play cleanly on.
Equipment:

The 440 is a little smaller than the 340, but honestly... it's a personal preference thing. It's not a ton smaller, but the 000 style guitars are a better fit for smaller people (check out Conor Oberst, he switched from a Martin 000 to a Gibson J-45 and the J-45 seems entirely too big), but you'll be able to manage the dreadnaught no problem. The solid top will outweight the size issues.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Congrats on your order TS. I love Takamines, and I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray