Poll: Wich pickup should i go for in a strat (aka alder body)?
Poll Options
View poll results: Wich pickup should i go for in a strat (aka alder body)?
Dimarzio Super Distortoin
9 53%
Dimarzio Breed
8 47%
Voters: 17.
Hey all

Soon I'll be getting my HSS strat and i'm trying to decide between the pickups i should put in the bridge

For the moment i've narrowed my choice down to 2 pickups, namely the Dimarzio Breed and the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

The music styles i play range from Iron Maiden and Metallica to softer rock stuff like 3 Doors Down and Poets of the Fall

Now my question is, wich of these 2 pickups should i get taking into account the bands I listed and the alder body of a strat?

Any input is greatly apreciated^^
i would go for the super distortion. Higher output and can cover the sound ranges of metallica and maiden as well as have good cleans.
Quote by splynter600
i would go for the super distortion. Higher output and can cover the sound ranges of metallica and maiden as well as have good cleans.

It's much easier to do metal at low output than it is blues at massive output. The SD's cleans are a bit sterile thanks to the ceramic magnet. The Breed is by no means low output anyway, it just has more "vintage" style tone (although still with plenty of clarity) thanks to the alnico magnet.
I reccomended the Breed to the TS in the first place and I'm standing by that
The SD is excellent but not as versatile as would be ideal and a bit toppy for the Strat IMO.

Btw just to stop people from asking about his amp to check whether these pickups will be worth it, I believe he will have an ENGL Blackmore very soon, so the amp's all good.
Quote by Rock Pig
It's much easier to do metal at low output than it is blues at massive output. The SD's cleans are a bit sterile thanks to the ceramic magnet. The Breed is by no means low output anyway, it just has more "vintage" style tone (although still with plenty of clarity) thanks to the alnico magnet.
I reccomended the Breed to the TS in the first place and I'm standing by that
The SD is excellent but not as versatile as would be ideal and a bit toppy for the Strat IMO.

Btw just to stop people from asking about his amp to check whether these pickups will be worth it, I believe he will have an ENGL Blackmore very soon, so the amp's all good.

Indeed i will, thanks for the thumbs up xD
Yeah the Breed in the strat will be better. The output will be more in line with the other pups, whereas the SD would overwhelm single coils.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Yeah the Breed in the strat will be better. The output will be more in line with the other pups, whereas the SD would overwhelm single coils.

But it'll handle the tones i want just as well? I know for a fact the super distortion will handle maiden since it's the same pickup they use:p But i'm willing to go for the breed if it is the better pickup It just feels more like a jump in the dark so I'm a bit worried 'bout it
Quote by Gego
But it'll handle the tones i want just as well? I know for a fact the super distortion will handle maiden since it's the same pickup they use:p But i'm willing to go for the breed if it is the better pickup It just feels more like a jump in the dark so I'm a bit worried 'bout it

Steve Vai devised the Breed to be a thickly voiced hot PAF for playing his more straightforward rock and metal songs live.
I insist that you try a JEM77V; you should find that even with the floating trem there thinning things out the Breed gives you a very muscular tone.
Quote by Rock Pig
Steve Vai devised the Breed to be a thickly voiced hot PAF for playing his more straightforward rock and metal songs live.
I insist that you try a JEM77V; you should find that even with the floating trem there thinning things out the Breed gives you a very muscular tone.

I'm starting to edge more and more to the breed tbh I had my doubts before because i kept hearing the breed in a shred enviroment, but i found a few clips where it was used in a more "normal" setting and... I like it:P
Yay I've just broken the tie .

I say go with the Breed 'cause I have a friend who put those in a csutom built (mahogany though) and they sounded niiiiiiiiiice. So maybe I'm not being 100 % objective here :P.
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
ok... you've already chosen, but i did the dimarzio pickup picker with the specs you posted. And it recommend the the Super Distortion
Quote by guitarcam123
ok... you've already chosen, but i did the dimarzio pickup picker with the specs you posted. And it recommend the the Super Distortion

Same here:p And that's the problem, i haven't chosenXD I was planning to go for the Super Distortion but all people advicing me the Breed made me doubt, and hereby i say... Screw you all!!xD You made the choice hard like hell :'(
The breed is going to be very thick and gritty. The highest treble frequencies and the lowest bass frequencies are not going to be there which makes it great for lead players that only want to hit that middle ground. The SD has a lot more low end and a lot more high end which means you can get the metal chug better and you can get better squeals. The SD does sound distinctively more modern than the breed and it lacks the warmth of the breed.

So what do you want? Thick and warm or open and dynamic?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The breed is going to be very thick and gritty. The highest treble frequencies and the lowest bass frequencies are not going to be there which makes it great for lead players that only want to hit that middle ground. The SD has a lot more low end and a lot more high end which means you can get the metal chug better and you can get better squeals. The SD does sound distinctively more modern than the breed and it lacks the warmth of the breed.

So what do you want? Thick and warm or open and dynamic?

Hmmm if you put it like that, the Super Distortion is a bit more rhythm orientated and the Breed a bit more lead orientated?
Yes and no... it's two different types of lead. SD is better for your screaming metal leads while the breed is better for chunky metal leads. I do think that in general the SD is better for rhythm though because it can take up more space in the mix.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Yes and no... it's two different types of lead. SD is better for your screaming metal leads while the breed is better for chunky metal leads. I do think that in general the SD is better for rhythm though because it can take up more space in the mix.

Thanks alot, i think you just helped me make my decision I owe you one:P