Hi, sorry for the wall of text and any possible stupid questions

I'm 18 and don't want to follow the sheep in learning to drive a car, I want to learn to ride a motorbike! (yes I have thought this through and don't want it just because it's 'cooler' or something)
However I would rather not have to have a moped/scooter (but would if required). Do I have to ride one of these first or (as I'm over 18) Can I go straight onto a bike under 125CC? As I believe you can get a moped if your 16+ but have to be 18+(I think) to get a 'real' bike.

I have read up on how this is done but need clarity:
I believe I need to pass the motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training
Then there is either A1 licence (75cc - 125cc and <11kw) or A licence (120cc - 125cc <25kw) which both are comprised of a theory and practical test. Are there restrictions on which I can take? do I have to do the A1 first, then A?
I'm also assuming there are motorbike lessons I can take, similar to taking driving lessons, but I don't know how much (on average) lessons cost, any hints? plus while on the subject how much do tests cost? (though google can probably tell me test costs)

websites seem to be rather vague and I can't find one that says in plain simple English what is to be done. (or maybe im just a bit thick).

Please can you confirm/correct/answer my understandings.

Thanks.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Right ok, I'll help you as much as I can, as I'm learning to ride a bike right now.

At 16, you can ride a real bike I think, but limited to 50cc, or a crappy automatic scooter. However as you're 18, you can start straight on a 125cc bike if you so wish.

First off yes, get your CBT done, can be long waiting lists for this, try and book it as soon as you can. There are different CBT's, for scooters and 125cc bikes, I did a 125cc CBT. Then you need the theory test which is similar to a car theory test, but has some bike specific questions as well as basic rules of the road. After that you can finally take your full practical test.

CBT was £115 I think, lessons I've had are about £24 an hour, without bike hire.
Theory test is around £35-40 I think, I'm not sure about practical tests.

I hope that answers your questions, there are some bikers with actual licenses, not just learners like me , that might be able to answer some of your questions better.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Last edited by The Progfather at Mar 20, 2009,
My friend has a motorized bicycle...it goes vroom vroom and gets the ladies to go boom boom...
lol @ DardoBoy, but thanks Progfather! That was quite helpful, answers my main uncertainty being what tests to do. Are you doing the A1 license or A license? Is there any difference apart from the A license allowing more powerful bikes?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Too bad you don't live in the US. One motorcycle license at 16 or 17 and you can ride any bike you want.

Yep... it's really too bad you don't get the pleasure of riding a bike you can't control and killing yourself.

UK FTL.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
I'm doing the A license, learning straight on a 125cc, and there isn't really a difference other than the power of the bikes. You'll find 125cc bikes are more readily availible than the smaller sized bikes, and they are the most commonly used ones. I'm glad I was able to help, and if you get stuck any more just give us a shout, and I'll tell you what I know. Unfortunately I did my CBT ages ago, almost a year now, but university has stopped me having a chance to finish learning, hopefully do some more riding over easter when I'm back home, keep me up to date with how things go man.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Forget the A1 license, if I remember right it limits you to 125cc forever. You need to go for the A license where you can ride a 125 on L-plates until you pass your test, then you're restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, after which you're free to ride anything.

I did that, and got a CB500 restricted to 33. You'll soon get bored of it though - it was only a few months before I was ripping the restrictor plates out of the inlets to get it back up to full power.

Any bike in particular you've got your eye on when you've got your license?
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Last edited by Vince Noir at Mar 20, 2009,
Thanks a lot for all this info guys

Does anyone else know of any good beginner bikes or what I should look for in a beginner bike? (I am as of current a bike noob knowing no mechanics of the bike and only knowing basic specification details)
Can any bike be restricted to 125cc / 33bhp / 25w power output? (within reason)
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Quote by Gigatiran
Too bad you don't live in the US. One motorcycle license at 16 or 17 and you can ride any bike you want.

Yep... it's really too bad you don't get the pleasure of riding a bike you can't control and killing yourself.

UK FTL.

+1 God bless this wonderful country.

Good luck with getting your license TS.
Style wise I was thinking of something similar to a CB500, obviously I'd buy used but are things like this readily available? and does it cost much to get it restricted to 33bhp?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Dunno if this is still relevent, but when I was a biker back in the late 80s-early 90s, ( I learned on a Honda CG 125, then upgraded to a chopped Triumph 5TA after my test) while you were on 'L plates' you could drive up to a 125cc motorbike or anything up to 400cc with a sidecar.
Quote by Edgey_15
Hi, sorry for the wall of text and any possible stupid questions

I'm 18 and don't want to follow the sheep in learning to drive a car, I want to learn to ride a motorbike! (yes I have thought this through and don't want it just because it's 'cooler' or something)
However I would rather not have to have a moped/scooter (but would if required). Do I have to ride one of these first or (as I'm over 18) Can I go straight onto a bike under 125CC? As I believe you can get a moped if your 16+ but have to be 18+(I think) to get a 'real' bike.

I have read up on how this is done but need clarity:
I believe I need to pass the motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training
Then there is either A1 licence (75cc - 125cc and <11kw) or A licence (120cc - 125cc <25kw) which both are comprised of a theory and practical test. Are there restrictions on which I can take? do I have to do the A1 first, then A?
I'm also assuming there are motorbike lessons I can take, similar to taking driving lessons, but I don't know how much (on average) lessons cost, any hints? plus while on the subject how much do tests cost? (though google can probably tell me test costs)

your 18, so you can go straight to a 12cc bike.
but you MUST do a CBT first... and then you can ride your 125 with Lplates.

then you can do your restricted access (i cant remember the official name for it) which means you can ride anything, as long as its under 33brake. (but i would wait a year or so untill you do this)

two years after that you can automatically go onto anything.

Bike lessons dont really exist... you learn it all in your CBT but previous experience on a dirt bike or something helps MASSIVELY.

my CBT was around 130 quid, and the restricted accesss is i think 350 for a 2 day course.

enjoy!
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Make sure you've got motorcycle provision on your driving licence - I didn't when I originally got mine so when I did my CBT I had to do it on a crappy 50cc thing - I think I had the throttle fully open the whole time we were out on the road, just trying to keep up!

Get yourself some decent safety kit - buy the best helmet you can afford, and a decent set of leathers (or equivalent) - you WILL come off, especially if your bike is your main form of transport. Most drivers don't look for bikes, so they will pull out on you on a regular basis. Plus there's the anti-biker paint the councils all love, and those lovely diesel trails that lorries leave behind them. So basically, you will come off at some point, and you need decent kit to make sure you're protected as far as you can be.

I didn't take lessons - I just used my 125 for everything (litttle honda wet-dream (CB125T) - she was great) for 7 months then did a 3 day thing with CSM (I think thats what they were called) to do my direct access.

As you're only 18 you're automatically restricted to 33bhp for 2 years after you pass your test (you have to be 21 to do direct access I believe) but you can get most bikes restricted anyway, so it doesn't really affect what you can get.

I'd go for something commuter-ish as a first bike, and don't spend too much on it because it won't hurt as much if you drop it!

aff gotta go....
Wow.

In America you just take a laughable written test and then get a buddy with a motorcycle license to take you to yer road test six months later.

It's awesome.

We have safety courses that are probably a better option for n00bs but they are expensive and only required in one state.
Quote by Edgey_15
Style wise I was thinking of something similar to a CB500, obviously I'd buy used but are things like this readily available? and does it cost much to get it restricted to 33bhp?

All the Jap manufacturers make middleweight commuter bikes like that, so you should find one easily enough. Mine cost about £200 to restrict in 2000, so I wouldn't think it should cost much more now.

I can't think of a better bike than the CB500 for a beginner really. They're pretty cheap, fast enough for a beginner (you should get at least 90-100mph out of a restricted one), pretty good looking, really easy to ride, and it's really well built and reliable. If there's one thing Honda does better than anyone else, it's build quality.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Patrollin' and tryna catch me ridin dirty!

you should totally get a car instead it will prove more useful.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Last edited by Nexium at Mar 21, 2009,
Thanks for all the help guys! (or not so much in the case of a big pink moped )

I'm assuming when taking CBT I use one of their bikes? But for the Licence test I could use my own bike if I was to buy one? Plus if I was to use my own, would it have to be able to reach 100kph and have <=125cc?

What about the stage in between the CBT and test? Can I ride a bike which complies with the A licence for practice? (say in a empty car park as im assuming I wouldn't be allowed on a road).

Just confused as with a car its simple. Get lessons, get licence, get car, away you go.
With a bike its: Do CBT(on their bike?), period of time where may have bike but cant legally ride it, get licence, get bike if not already complying with restrictions.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
ga... UK rules are hardcore. i know where i live in the united states. all you gotta do is take the bike to the driving place. they watch you go around some cones and you got your bike licence. this doesnt limit you to any cc's either.
For your CBT you can use their bike, and you can use theirs or your own for your test. If you're getting something like a CB500 you might as well use your own - I did my test on a CB500.

In between doing your CBT and taking your test you are restricted to 125cc, which you can ride around on for a year before your CBT runs out. You learn a lot on a 125, kind of develop a 6th sense which tells you which drivers are going to do something stupid lol

Most 100/125cc bikes will do 70/80mph. My wet dream maxed out at 74mph down a big hill, but that was a few years ago and she was pretty old when I got her.

If I was doing it again I'd probably do my CBT, get a little 100/125cc thing for 4 or 5 months, then do a course to do my test, and get something bigger. I think you'll get bored of a CB500 pretty quickly, especially if you spend a bit of time on a 125 first. They're great commuter bikes, fantastic in town, but not the most exciting ride in the world. Wait until you can ride a bigger bike legally to decide what you want - you may change your mind in between.
aah thanks zhilla, cleared up my main remaining confusion. Now the task of finding a good learner bike I like. I've read a few reviews and such and I'm looking at a few 125's for learning on, things such as:

Honda CA 125 Rebel
Honda CG125 (the motorbike centre nearest me uses these for training)
Suzuki GZ 125 marauder
Yamaha Virago 125
Reviews say they are all 'good' learner bikes, any suggestions of others? I'd be hoping to find something similar to them for around £500 give or take 100 or something. Or should I be looking for something that's less of a cruiser style thing?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
I did my test on a Yamaha SR125, which was OK, but until I passed the test I had a CG125 which is a great learner bike - just as long as you're not after anything fast.

They're really cheap to run (you should get over 80mpg easily), and those pushrod engines are absolutley bullet-proof. Other than a C90 I can't think of another small bike as solid as the CG.

Quote by Kumanji
You Europeans get all the coolest low displacement bikes.

I'd kill for a C90 (any Cub at all really) or CG125.

Damn American bike market
Thread is very relevant to my interests.

Next month I'll be getting a tidy bonus from work, and shall then book my CBT Looking into getting a 125 myself, any more recs? I've always been told to get a Honda CBR125.

Biking > driving, for me. I simply don't have the patience for driving lessons With a bike you just take your CBT and jump on. Plus I love my leather jacket, and riding will mean I have an excuse to wear it all year round

Also, this is a pretty big thing on my mind- You guys have any tips regarding motorcycle security? Where's the best place to park them up and so on? Do you carry your helmet with you everywhere?
My CBT was on a Honda CG125, they are nice bikes, I'm looking to get something like that so i can finish getting my license, other good options seem to be Yamaha SR125 or a Yamaha YBR125, I tried one out recently, rode really well, I prefer the less sporty looking bikes though
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah

I have one of these on L plates

Yes I have come off it, more than once too :P

I'm gonna go for my full license soon then get a nice low hog or a sport tourer (not sure what I want yet)
Quote by JackalUK

I have one of these on L plates

Yes I have come off it, more than once too :P

I'm gonna go for my full license soon then get a nice low hog or a sport tourer (not sure what I want yet)

i was gonna get one, but i came tot he conclusion it was too much of a girls bike.
aprillia tuono 125 for me
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by Vermintide
Thread is very relevant to my interests.

Next month I'll be getting a tidy bonus from work, and shall then book my CBT Looking into getting a 125 myself, any more recs? I've always been told to get a Honda CBR125.

Biking > driving, for me. I simply don't have the patience for driving lessons With a bike you just take your CBT and jump on. Plus I love my leather jacket, and riding will mean I have an excuse to wear it all year round

Also, this is a pretty big thing on my mind- You guys have any tips regarding motorcycle security? Where's the best place to park them up and so on? Do you carry your helmet with you everywhere?

Definitely spend your bonus on a bike, you won't regret it.

Never ridden a CBR125 myself. All I know is people do seem to recommend them a lot, which must be good.

And I do carry my helmet everywhere which is a bit awkward, but I aint chaining it to my bike for some dickhead chav to come and kick it or something.

Quote by Kumanji
Some more questions, this time on security:

I have no garage so I would be keeping the bike on my driveway, what options are there as far as security is concerned? Also what further security options are there as far as parking it in a public car park?

How do bikes fare when left out in the cold? My mum has a tin can of a car and sometimes the engine gives up and resists to start when it's been out in the cold on a wet and windy winters night. How would a motorbike fare assuming its kept in good condition by the owner?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
You have chains, locks / alarms that attach to your disk brakes. Your bike will also have a steering lock as standard most likely.

Bikes left out in the cold perform the same as cars really. Depending on the weather it's gonna affect your start-up. If it's been bitterly cold your probably gonna have to open the choke (pull a little tab) and give it some revs till it settles on a good tick over.
My electric start decided it was too cold to be bothered with having to start the engine so I had to kick my scoot on today.

Started up first kick.

I stopped at the grocery store after a good bit of riding and when I went to kick it on again it took loads of strokes cuz my bike is actually harder to start when the engine has been running for a bit.

It was kind of embarrassing cuz the chicks in the Jetta next to me were super cute and watching me as I pathetically tried to get my scoot to kick on.

I hope my starter decides to work again when it gets warmer...
Quote by JackalUK
You have chains, locks / alarms that attach to your disk brakes. Your bike will also have a steering lock as standard most likely.

^ all that.

Plus if you're pretty worried about it on your drive, it might be worth getting a good solid ground anchor to chain it to.

Quote by Kumanji