Where should I post to report an e-mail I recieved where I think somebody is trying to impersonate a mod/admin?

A thread of this topic doesn't really seem to fit anywhere in "Site Feedback" nor does it seem that it is much of a problem that anybody will do anything about it.

The subject of the e-mail was "The status of your account on Ultimate-Guitar.Com" (exactly as I typed it) and from a g-mail account (not posting the actual e-mail w/o a mod's permission).

Before I open it, can somebody confirm my (high) suspicions that it is an impersonator or check the status of my account to be sure that it hasn't changed?

Thanks.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Last edited by americablanco at Mar 21, 2009,
You have an active warning, so I'd imagine it's real.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
^Well darn.

I didn't imagine that being spam... More like a stupid suggestion, oh well.

But from a g-mail account? Not the UG webmaster?

EDIT: Well wait a second...

If anybody can send an e-mail looking exactly like a status update, then wouldn't it be possible to change the link to direct to a malicious website?

For future reference, where would one report this?
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Last edited by americablanco at Mar 20, 2009,
as far as i know, the warnings come from the account that the mod used to sign up. For example, if you were a mod, and you warned someone, it would be sent from whatever email address you currently use with UG
Quote by americablanco
^Well darn.

I didn't imagine that being spam... More like a stupid suggestion, oh well.

But from a g-mail account? Not the UG webmaster?

EDIT: Well wait a second...

If anybody can send an e-mail looking exactly like a status update, then wouldn't it be possible to change the link to direct to a malicious website?

For future reference, where would one report this?
The warning emails come from the email address that the mod has registered on UG. So if I sent you a warning, it would come from element4433@*something*.com
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by americablanco
The subject of the e-mail was "The status of your account on Ultimate-Guitar.Com" (exactly as I typed it) and from a g-mail account (not posting the actual e-mail w/o a mod's permission).
good plan, not posting the e-mail account. g-mail is common.
i've received a few love letter from Mods, myself.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Okay... I understand all of that...

BUT, let's say somebody (not particularly a mod) sends me an e-mail with the subject "The status of your account at Ultimate-Guitar.com." Since not everybody uses the same username for e-mails and forums, the e-mail could be from any random user. Now, if the e-mail looks legit and all, but the link in it so I can view what I was warned for directs me to a malicious website, where would I report this impersonator?

No, I'm not going to report anybody now, but if this happens in the future, where would I?

(some grammatical errors with tenses, maybe)
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
send a message to a mod (green) smod (blue) or admin (red)

and include the email address. They'll look it up and see if it was a registered user sending you the email.

other than that there's nothing we can do. It'd be up to you to block that email address and check your computer for malware.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Okay, thank you.
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
good plan, not posting the e-mail account. g-mail is common.
i've received a few love letter from Mods, myself.

I don't remember giving you permission to advertise what email clients the mods use. I see no merit in that post whatsoever. Edited out and thread closed.
This is not a pipe