my band is looking to record a demo, we have a drum kit, 2 guitars and a bass, and need vocals as well so how many inputs would we need?
we only have 4 (maybe 5) mics though, so would it work to plug a guitar straight in and by-pass the amp? could you still get effects on it?

ideally we would have it set up with 3 or 4 mics on the kit, and one mic on my amp, and then (because by that point we'll have no more left!) the other guitar and bass will have to plug directly in. so will that work, and crucially sound good?

our budget is about £70 so are we looking for a mixer with 6 or 8 inputs, i mean if it was 8, does that mean you can plug 8 things into it and then tweak all 8 things seperately?

how would we do this and what kind of mixer should we buy!
Low cost mixers generally have a combination of mic/instrument level and line level inputs. You can usually tell how many mic level by counting the XLR inputs. When you say "a guitar straight in and by-pass the amp" that doesn't sound good. Where would you be getting your FX from? Pedals or a multifx. If it's a multifx then you can usually hook those straight into a mixer and use a line level input, freeing the mic levels for the mics. Maybe not so lucky with pedals as they are designed for input into a guitar amp or it's won't sound right. YMMV

Your budget is tight so I'd be looking at the low cost Behringer mixers like the 1202 w/ 4 mic level inputs at $60USD.

(Invalid img)

http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=17367
Quote by fly135
Low cost mixers generally have a combination of mic/instrument level and line level inputs. You can usually tell how many mic level by counting the XLR inputs. When you say "a guitar straight in and by-pass the amp" that doesn't sound good. Where would you be getting your FX from? Pedals or a multifx. If it's a multifx then you can usually hook those straight into a mixer and use a line level input, freeing the mic levels for the mics. Maybe not so lucky with pedals as they are designed for input into a guitar amp or it's won't sound right. YMMV

Your budget is tight so I'd be looking at the low cost Behringer mixers like the 1202 w/ 4 mic level inputs at $60USD.

(Invalid img)

http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=17367

that looks good, with that would we be able to use 4 mics and tweak all the levels on them then? we'd use 3 for drums and because i use pedals, i'd mic up my amp with the 4th one? then would we still be able to plug 2 more guitars in - one uses multi fx, and the bass doesnt use anything, so there'd be 6 inputs, 4 mics and 2 instruments
save up and buy an 8 input recording interface, recording with a mixer is a pain in the ass and sounds terrible.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
save up and buy an 8 input recording interface, recording with a mixer is a pain in the ass and sounds terrible.

we're only 16, its not like we want pro-quality sound, and thats way out of our price range, i mean we dont have jobs and are still at school you know..
surely a mixer is better than how we did it before? one mic in the middle of the room and just let it rip!