I've seen plenty of people posting to try to figure out how to take the cover plates off and what not. I just want to figure out how difficult of a job it is to replace the cover plates.

I have a pair with a gold finish that has color fading from it and some tarnishing. Since it's like $10 for a new cover I don't see why I shouldn't think about changing them. They're on a Epi Dot-Deluxe, and they have the wax potting. The wax is what I'm going to be worried about when I go to put them back on. I think I can handle getting the soldering off.
I just prised the solder of with a pen knife (lol) and it came clean off.
Should probly just put a new cover on then solder it in same spot as the last oen or somthing
GEAR
________

Jackson RR3 w/ Dimebucker
Epiphone G400 Extreme
Marshall Mg30 Dfx (It does the job),
Kelry Sinister Strings, 10 - 52's
Dunlop Jazz III's or Dunlop purple 2.00 tortex(sharpened).
I just used a knife and a screwdriver to take the cover off a gold covered epi pup. The wax was no problem it stayed on the pup and could be removed if needed.
I know this is like a week old....
I wouldn't want to remove the wax on the pickup. I just imagined that if you take it off, it's going to take off some wax along with it. If it takes some wax off with it, I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a snug fit anymore. It's not like two Lego blocks going together, I'd think it would be more like a screw going into wood, and I don't want to strip the wax so it doesn't fit as best it could.
Am I right or is this idea just wrong?

I am not intending to offend anyone, but I don't really want to take advice from only people who have used knives to open up their pickups.
Last edited by ev477 at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by ev477
I know this is like a week old....
I am not intending to offend anyone, but I don't really want to take advice from only people who have used knives to open up their pickups.

MacGyver could do it with a paperclip and a lit wooden match.

Check this thread out about the procedure...
BLAZE ON!

2006 Epiphone '58 Korina V
2008 Aslin Dane Bohemian
Real Sound Mars Twin Tube Distortion/Overdrive
Crate dxj112 amp
Dunlop HighGain used as expression pedal
Quote by blazzingroach
MacGyver could do it with a paperclip and a lit wooden match.

Check this thread out about the procedure...

I could make a pipe out of a pop-can but that doesn't mean it will look good.

This doesn't really answer my question well. They say it's easy to do, but I would bet that you can mess something up. Besides cutting the coils when trying to pry open the humbucker, is there anything else you could mess up?