I first did the fret job, it so badly needed: I leveled the frets with a 6" flat mill file and a triangle file, I crowned the frets with a 300 grit offset diamond fret file, and I polished the frets with a dressing stick going through all the grits {the frets were pretty worn down, so I now have what most would call a fretless wonder}..I then sanded the whole guitar down to 320 grit {ever try sanding a black guitar down to bare wood, it sucked, but worth the end result} I hand wiped 1 coat of transparent vintage amber stain mixed with denatured alcohol onto the back, sides, and neck of the guitar, I then sprayed 2-4 very thin wash coats to lock in the stain.....I then filled the grain with clear water based grain filler, after removing the filler residue...I scuff sanded lightly, I then sprayed 1 can of clear sanding sealer in multiple thin coats to get a even build on the finish and to lock in the filler, scuff and level sanding lightly.......I then hand wiped 2 coats of transparent lemon yellow stain mixed with denatured alcohol onto the plain maple top {the wood grain of this guitar had been covered up by the black for so long, so I wanted the wood grain to show through in this finish} I then proceeded to spray the clear top coats on the whole guitar {this is where I ran into some trouble here and there, mostly of the trial and error kind, as this was the first guitar I had ever tried to refinish} I used 20+ cans of aerosol clear gloss nitrocellulose lacquer throughout, I level sanded throughout, and it took that many cans, because I would get runs, sags, and imperfections in the finish, and since I was using aerosol cans it just took that much more lacquer to get a level finish build, and plus any imperfections in the finish I came across, I would just level sand them out....since I already had a pretty thick finish, once I got the finish build to where I wanted it, and after letting the finish cure for 2 weeks, I then re-level sanded the whole guitar with 600 grit up to 800 grit dry, I then wet sanded the guitar with 1000 up to 2000 grit wet, I then hand rubbed it out using medium and fine compounds {now that took lots of elbow grease but, well worth the look} the finish I did on this guitar looks absolutely great....but that’s just the refinish part.......so, here is what else I did to this guitar.........I put gold sperzel locking tuners on it, a locking tone-pros gold bridge and tailpiece, a new gold jack cover as this guitar is done all in gold, 2 new cream pickup rings and a new cream pick-guard, a new pickup selector switch, and all new wiring.......{now originally, I was going to put the zakk wylde set of emg pickups in this guitar, but after trying them out......I just didn’t like them, they didn’t capture the les paul sound I had in my mind for this guitar, they will go into another guitar that I will be building soon}......so I decided to try these "golden age pickups" an over wound zebra neck and an over wound zebra bridge pickup {in the past, I have tried various pickups in this guitar, and none of them have ever sounded like these do}....this is the sound I had in my mind for this guitar and I use each of these pickups with a 300k ohm vol. pot. and a 500k ohm tone pot with .020 cap.......all I can say about this guitar now is........wow........not only does it look absolutely great, but it finally sounds and plays great......i now call it my #59.......
I'am sorry man but I am not going to read that massive block of text

(no offence, I just have a poor attention span )
Hey,

Although, you have been a member for a while, this is your first post.I reckon this thread would be more suited to the Gear Building and Customising Forum. Try reposting over there, and if you can, see if you could upload some pictures. Also, long posts are easier for people to read if you paragraph them, as Capt Clarkson so aptly put it . You will probably get better feedback on it if you lay it out well

For future reference, this is the new member Q&A forum for member introductions, and questions about running the site. Read the FAQ to give you a brief description of all the forums on UG and their purpose.

A belated welcome to UG