Page 1 of 2
hi i was just wondering if this guitar or any of the ibanez x series are any good i just like the way it looks but other than that i dont know much about it
Quote by Pac_man0123
Yes but i'd avoid the ones with tremolos.

+1

Ibanez trems aren't all that good. Go for string-thru if you can help it:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-XPT707FX
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-XPT700FX
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-ICT700
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-DTT700

Quote by dukeofmetal
why whats wrong with the trems?? and im not sure but they have floyd's yeah??

Like I said above, Ibanez doesn't make a very good trem. Not really all that dependable. Floyds are just fine as long as you manage to get an Original Floyd Rose, which Ibanez does not offer on any of their guitars. Besides, with all the hassle and fuss it takes to set them up and maintain them, string-thru guitars are much more appealing to most people.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 20, 2009,
ok i know this is the biggest newb question but is string thru a tun-o-matic bridge??
Quote by dukeofmetal
ok i know this is the biggest newb question but is string thru a tun-o-matic bridge??

With Ibanez, String-thru can mean really two different things. Tune-o-matic bridge without a stop-bar tailpiece (the strings go down thru the body to the back) or the Gibraltar bridge that Ibanez uses in which the strings go through the bridge and straight down into the body.

Quote by dukeofmetal
is there a fixed bridge version of it??

The four links I posted above are all string-thru, two of which are the Xiphos.
Yes, there is a fixed bridge version of the 6 string and the 7 comes only with the gibrilator bridge. I believe both of the non-trem xiphos models are string-thru with the gibrilator bridge.

String-through means that the strings are pulled through the back of the body to the tuners, and tune-o-matic is a type of bridge that has adjustable saddles (back and forth, traditionally).
ah ok are there many x-series with either of those?? and what would be a good price(im in australia)
there's two string-thru models and two trem-equipped that they make. Four different Xiphos models in all. And I don't know prices in Australia.
I bought the Blue Chameleon XTP700 for 650$ from Zzounds.com, but I've seen 'em since on ebay.com around 500$.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Ibanez trems aren't all that good. Go for string-thru if you can help it:

Like I said above, Ibanez doesn't make a very good trem. Not really all that dependable. Floyds are just fine as long as you manage to get an Original Floyd Rose, which Ibanez does not offer on any of their guitars. Besides, with all the hassle and fuss it takes to set them up and maintain them, string-thru guitars are much more appealing to most people.
Wrong.
Ibanez Original Edge Trems as well as the Edge Pro, Edge Lo Pro, ZR and Edge Zero are often claimed to be better than genuine OFRs. You simply can't knock them in terms of quality.

The lower end ones, the Edge III and the Edge Pro II as well as older low end models like the LoTRS are, though, total shit and sadly they don't make a Xiphos with a good trem. If you want a Xiphos then definitely get a hardtail.
wow 500$ sweet i was expecting around 1000$ thanks guys but the only thing now is because i most likley would be getting it off ebay i dont know what kind of sound you will get out of it. Im guessing its metal oreinted?
Quote by dukeofmetal
wow 500$ sweet i was expecting around 1000$ thanks guys but the only thing now is because i most likley would be getting it off ebay i dont know what kind of sound you will get out of it. Im guessing its metal oreinted?

That was the idea behind the wacky design, and also the fact that the first major endorsee of these guitars was Muhammed Suicmez of Necrophagist. Not to mention the pick ups are also meant to act as a counter to many active pickups used in metal music today.
i know muhammed was the first gut i saw using this guitar and even though i think he has 27 frets i love this thing now lol
I also answered it above, and btw, the 27-fret doesn't come in string-thru. They only offer the 27-fret model with an Edge III trem, which is a big no-no.
i've played the guitar and my friend owns one the the thing is that the bridge is very cheap (arm dont lock in goes out of tune easy and also dont bend or drop the notes enough like a floyd) also the strap buttons are placed in really bad places so the guitar will ALWAYS stay off balance making it hard to play. and then there is the neck which is like a cheap version of a wizard neck with weird frets that feels like it's medium or small. i love ibanez it's just this guitar that they completely messed up on lol. i like the pick ups and shape lol. that's about it. if you want a good ibanez just get the new rg or r series those can never go wrong. or if they want the shape you could just get a dean razorback/ml or jackson warrior.
haha yea im just saying he tears that thing up but i get what you guys are saying so im looking for a fixed bridge now on ebay
really neck is cheap and yeah i was in it mainly for the shape so which would you reccomend jackson or dean??
Last edited by dukeofmetal at Mar 20, 2009,
me i would get the dean the jackson warrior looks cool but to me there is not enough wood on the body for every note to ring out full epically when you drop tune. it really depends on how much you are spending, for 800 you could get the razorback 255 on ebay which is quiet good (emg 81/85, OFR, and cool paint jobs on a few of them) for about 500 i think you could get a ml which is just what the razorback is based on just not as pointy and the pick ups are'nt as nice but some do come with nice paint jobs. if you are buying a guitar like that just get it with a floating bridge a set bridge on them is just weird. it's like a metal guitar with out a floyd wtf lol? or to better put it a 7 string les paul that's how weird it would look lol.
Except for the fact that Dean Razorbacks (well, most Deans in general) sound like crap, play like crap, and don't last long at all.
ok i get what your saying and i think i would rather put out a bit extra for the emgs and is the trem on the razorback better than the xiphos??
i might have just gotten the good one then lol cause mine sounds really nice. it's never broken down on me (any part of it). but he wants to get a guitar of that shape so like it's either 2000 on a jackson warrior usa select or like 1/3 of that for a dean which is worth the money really. but if he didnt want only that body shape i would say get a ibanez s prestige lol
yes the OFR and LRF is both better then the one on the xiphos. most people who get the cheap ibanez guitars with the trems usually replace it with the OFR or LFR anyway.

edit: by cheap ibanez i dont mean i hate ibanez lol i just meant the cheap ones 600 dollars or less.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Except for the fact that Dean Razorbacks (well, most Deans in general) sound like crap, play like crap, and don't last long at all.

damn it really?? so what is the best out of the xiphos razorback and warrior then?? or should i just stay away from them all together??
i think the razorback thing is just a complete opinion thing. like the line 6 thing people rip on line 6 all they like but they still have some really good stuff. me personaly i've never had a problem with the razorback.
Quote by dukeofmetal
damn it really?? so what is the best out of the xiphos razorback and warrior then?? or should i just stay away from them all together??

If you're leaving it up to me, I'd say **** 'em all and go for the Ibanez RGA42FM. My friend owns one and I know for a fact I will buy one as my next guitar. They go for about $500 USD and have string-thru bodies with active LoZ-23 humbuckers with a single volume knob and an active mid-boost/cut switch. Really solid guitars.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGA42FM

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARGA42FM
yup so it's really just up to you now to decide you could get the ibanez s320 that i recommend the rga42fm that victorino said to get. or you could look on ebay for a used dean i dont see a problem with used guitars but then again some people are very picky lol.
used is good. just don't buy something ****ty because it's cheap. also, make sure you know what you're buying, or else you could end up with a ****ing plank with rubber bands stretched around it for strings.
Page 1 of 2