I'm thinking about getting one. But I won't get a chance to play it before I buy it. It's not even out yet. There are very few clips of the original Legacy. This will be a blind buy. It did get good reviews. I like that the Legacy II has the clean boost channel so I can get some crunch and the 25W mode. I like Vai's lead tone, but I haven't heard much rhythm from him. I was also considering the JSX. Should I just go through with it and get the Legacy II? Anyone have any experience with the original Legacy?
well, only you can make that call. from what i have read, heard, and seen from Carvin, I think that it would be worth taking the risk on the legacy. My 2 cents worth
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
definately worth it carvin amps rule and legacy amps are very versitile
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I've got the original Legacy, and (barring some tubes dying of old age) I've never had a problem with it.
Fantastic tones, especially the cleans.
Everyone here is against blind buying a guitar (I do it all the time), but I play them in stores before ordering them. It doesn't help that it's the ugliest amp I've ever seen. But concept behind it is just great. I guess I'll start saving up.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
definately worth it carvin amps rule and legacy amps are very versitile

As great as the Legacy is, it's not versatile.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm usually a fan of versatility. I usually like amps with a lot of switches and knobs so I can have a lot of control over my tone. But I have a GT-10 and I noticed that I never tweak it. I found my tones and I don't touch it...ever. So maybe I don't need versatility. Can the Legacy do Motley Crue, Poison, and Scorpions type stuff? I haven't heard it's rhythm capabilities.
Should be able to pull those styles off easily, a boost wouldnt be a bad idea either.
The Legacy can easily pull off tones similar to the bands you mentioned. It's a great amp for 80's metal and has one of the best clean channels of any amp I've played. You'll want to pick up an OD for rhythm work since the Legacy is lacking in the rhythm department.
How heavy can it get? With the GT-10, can I pretty much get it as heavy as I want it to be?
Quote by Guitarmiester
As great as the Legacy is, it's not versatile.

+1

Keep in mind, Vai runs quite a few distortion pedals into his amp. The Legacy goes from clean -> mild OD. Very sustaining, but lacks the gain you would think Vai would have in an amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
watch this guy's vids, uses a carvin legacy for all of them and sounds great, you cant tell me its not a good amp, versitile enough iof you ask me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOs_8c8DDc
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Whoa, that guy has a good tone and it's versatile. Thanx for sharing that. I'm also going to get a 7-string RG. Would the Legacy be able to handle the extra string? I don't know anything about 7-strings and whether or not certain amps work better with them
Don't get the Legacy II, its exactly the same as the first but with an Overdrive built in and a master volume. Try to pick up a used legacy for about $500 less.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
I like the idea of 3 channels and the 25W mode. The 25W mode is really the main selling point though.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Whoa, that guy has a good tone and it's versatile. Thanx for sharing that. I'm also going to get a 7-string RG. Would the Legacy be able to handle the extra string? I don't know anything about 7-strings and whether or not certain amps work better with them

It handles a 7-string fine. The Legacy has a very tight low end response.