I've been looking for a new amp. I like my B-52, but it's a little high gain for most of the stuff I've been playing as of late. I've narrowed it down to 2 that I really like, but I don't have anywhere close where I could test them.

Laney AOR 50
Pros:
Cheap
Able to get into the semi high gain zone
Can have it sooner
I've heard nothing but great things about the gain
Cons:
People have told me the clean channel isn't great but I've never heard it...
Some have some repairs that need to be made bc they're used (tube swap, new knobs, ect.)

Traynor YCS-50
Pros:
Still pretty cheap for what you get
I've heard the cleans rival fenders (can anyone confirm this?)
Switchable from 50 to 15 watts(this would be useful considering a lot of my playing is recording and can't always be cranked)
Switchable between Brit/USA(Although I plan to keep the B-52 for high gain so this is less important than it would otherwise be)
Cons:
More Expensive than the Laney
OD needed to get in Metal range (Once again going by what I've been told)
A Little bit less available in my area

Either way I plan to eventually get an extension cab (Vader, Avatar, or Basson) and plan to use mainly my new Agile Prs copy with this. I'm looking for an area from Zep to around metallica, but I probably use the B-52 for that... Van Halen, GNR, Mainstrain Rock (Nickelback, ect), and 80s metal.
Gear:
Agile PRS Copy w/ floyd PS-970
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
I have never heard the Laney AOR 50 (at least to my knowledge.) I will say the Traynor YCS-50 is a great amp for the stuff you would like to play. It is a little fugly - but who cares when it comes to great tone! Also, Traynor has a great warranty - at least they used too?
Thanks, I thought so too based on what I've heard played on it. Anyone have experience with the AOR? I've heard it's voiced really close to a hot rodded JMP...
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
The windsor is just a lil too high wattage for me...
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Valve Junior with mods?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I considered it. But the venues I'd be playing probably won't have a pa for anything other than vocals(my uni has a convention room but it's mainly used for acoustic acts). I guess that's why the Traynor appealed to me so much. I was wondering about the aor because I'm constantly seeing them on ebay for less than 300... Which would be really nice considering my current income.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Blackheart Handsome Devil or that AOR.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by blues_powered
I considered it. But the venues I'd be playing probably won't have a pa for anything other than vocals(my uni has a convention room but it's mainly used for acoustic acts). I guess that's why the Traynor appealed to me so much. I was wondering about the aor because I'm constantly seeing them on ebay for less than 300... Which would be really nice considering my current income.

well, there are mods to make it louder. i've herd guys who played through a fender champ to crowds of 250 at least. plus, imagine having a "Wall of Doom" of Valve Juniors
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
well, there are mods to make it louder. i've herd guys who played through a fender champ to crowds of 250 at least. plus, imagine having a "Wall of Doom" of Valve Juniors

If I had the money to shell out for 10 VJ... That would be hilarious... and probably sound decent.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Things like the Crate V and Classic 30 have british voicings and are pretty nice. Not so much Marshall as a general Britishy voicing
I was kinda hoping for something more on the Marshally side. However, a tweed classic 30 is just sexy looking.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
It is indeed. Sovtek MIG's are pretty good. Ceriatone if you have the cash (like 1000)
But the two you posted will probably be the best options
inb4 JCM900
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
mcrfobtai, I'd love a ceriatone but i really can't afford to have it shipped. The base price wasn't too bad but it cost nearly half the price again to get it here. nutinpwnsgibson, how does the 900 compare to the 800? Every once in a while a 900 will be on Nashville craigslist for 400-600.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Imo the 900's are pretty decent but the 800's are really just better.
The AOR does a great 800 impersitation anyway and is about the closest you'll get at that price as far as I know
Any cab/speaker suggestions to match the Traynor or Laney?
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Peavey VTM-60! it does a great marshall sound, and they're damn cheap. you can pick up the head for under $200 on ebay if you're lucky, and then find a 2x12 cab from there. it only has one channel, but cleans up great with your volume knob.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Listened to the VTM on youtube and I like it... but it's probably going to be hard to find one. If i see one on ebay i might jump.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Quote by blues_powered
mcrfobtai, I'd love a ceriatone but i really can't afford to have it shipped. The base price wasn't too bad but it cost nearly half the price again to get it here. nutinpwnsgibson, how does the 900 compare to the 800? Every once in a while a 900 will be on Nashville craigslist for 400-600.

chances are, youd like the 800 better, but i played a 900 right next to an 800 and the 800 was quite fizzy and weak sounding while the 900 had a great thrashy sound, but i would assume all the albums recorded with it used it at high volumes, so idk...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I can get an ok thrashy sound out of my AT-112, but it doesn't do as well with getting a classic rock. Does the 900 do Van Halen ect. well? Someone told me that's what Green Day used, and that's not really what I'm looking for.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
If you NEED good clean DO NOT get the AOR if you want Plexi to hotrod JCM800 tones get it great amp, I own(ed) it and it is the BEST Marshall that does not say marshall on it imo there are few others that can compete with it in the 250 to 450 dollar range.

but if you're looking for sparkly pretty cleans it's not what you want, if you can deal with bad(ish) cleans go for it.

Also look at the Sovtek MIGs and Traynor YCV50s
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
OH!
Old Traynor Bassmates do the Marshall sound pretty well. the haeds go for cheap all the time, too.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
^I was gonna buy one, they have gone up alot though like 600 bucks for a head
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
The only Bass Mates I've ever seen are the combos... I'm guessing they're not the same thing huh
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
yeah I say get the AOR personally.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
^I was gonna buy one, they have gone up alot though like 600 bucks for a head

well, 600 bucks for a traynor YBA-1 is still less than 2Gs for a marshall RI.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater