which sounds best? we have no amp simulators and i use effects pedals and not to mention, ive spent ages getting a really good tone from my amp and guitar and i wouldnt want to have to lose that. im being told that its in the best interests of the band to make me plug straight in and by-so-doing essentially rid me of my sound that actually defines me as me! jsut so its slightly less fuzzy, but what wrong with a raw sound anyway as long as i can tweak it and make it sound good in the mix

is plugging in really a better sound than micing an amp? and is it worth sacrificing my tone and my effects?
Quote by ethan_hanus
depends on the mixer and your pedals. at my church when i plug straight into the mixer it sounds all broken, and crappy, but my lead guitarst uses a digitech rp200 or something like that and it sounds great through the mixer.

we're getting a behringer 1202 or something? its cheap little 8 input one, nothing too great and i use danelectro and behringer foot pedals and a dunlop cry baby wah. will that sound awful just going straight in do you think?
Ahh. Lets put it like this...

At my church I plug in direct from my Pod Xt live. Sounds amazing.

My other guitar player has a Dual rec. He plugs the slave out into the mixer. sounds like poo.

When we mic his amp it sounds great.

We tried plugging his pedals in direct... sounds like poo.

Actually when we Mic his Dual rec, I can perfectly replicate it ...

Moral of the story is, A good mic on a good amp should sound just like the amp. If not your doing something wrong somewhere, or your map sounds like poo. Mic'ing is always better because you get the sound of the speakers, so unless your using a speaker emulator, mic it.

Sorry long post.
I've always LOVED micing and amp. I do that all the time. I've always been told by people it's better, although they all have pros and cons.
I love micing too. And recording and all that good stuff Theres really an art to micing, and contrasting the different sounds to different mics and all kinds of stuff.
Pedals are designed to go into guitar amps. Multifx are designed to go into amps or PAs/mixers. Some pedals like the Bad Monkey have a mixer output that filters the output. A guitar amp does not have a flat frequency response and pedal output is filtered by the characteristics of the guitar amp. A PA or mixer is designed to handle tones that are already processed and will sound harsh when pedals are fed directly. That's why you need to mic an amp or use a direct in box with cabinet simulator like the Ultra-G. Multifxs have cab simulators or "speaker compensation" built in.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 20, 2009,
An amplifier is to an electric guitar what the bell is to a trumpet. It is part of the instrument. While processors make it more convenient, I have never liked the sound as much as a real amp. I wouldn't use the line out of an amp for the same reason. The speaker itself has an impact on the sound. I think a mic on an amp is best.

Having played alot at church I know the struggles. But, I would think that choosing a SMALL amp, like a Blues Junior, or even a better quality practice amp might solve the problem. If the issue is volume, smaller is better. But, an amp of some kind...

IMO digital processing crushes the dynamic range. Being able to play louder by touch is a big part of my style. (What little style I have.) Oddly enough I have uploaded two songs in my profile called "Top Down." The 'demo' version is the onboard processor, the 'final' version is a mic'd Deluxe Reverb. I prefer the amp sound by far. It has more color.

By the way, God plays a Strat through a Super Reverb.
Quote by wardyh
im being told that its in the best interests of the band to make me plug straight in

Who the **** told you that?

How are you supposed to get a good tone with no modeling DI'd?!

Mic the amp!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
If it's a cheapo solid-state practice combo/digital amp (Spider, MG, Crate etc), DI it and use software modelling when possible.

If it's a good quality solid-state or tube amp and you like the sound you get out of it, mic'ing is definitely the way to go.
I'd prefer micing. Especially when you're talking about DI'ing without amp modelling software. There's so many different sounds you can get just from experimenting with mic position.
There is poetry in despair.