Page 1 of 2
Do you think there is less musical talent than 20/30 years ago? Even in the pop charts you had like Prince and even the one hit wonders could write big hits that are being endlessly copied nowadays. Why do musicians whether mainstream or underground not use harmony or melody like the beatles did, or use dynamics like led zeppelin or floyd?
Last edited by DegaMeth at Mar 20, 2009,
Yeah, there was loads more musical talent like 20 years ago. Now on the radio, it's "I'm on a ****ing boat."
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
There is tons of good music and musical talent it is just less apparent in the mainstream media. Because the population is higher now and there are more resources available to the average person, logic would lead one to believe that there is probably even more.
Quote by wolfy808
Yeah, there was loads more musical talent like 20 years ago. Now on the radio, it's "I'm on a ****ing boat."

I am addicted to that song and I'm not ****ing you around. I cannot go a day without listening to that song.
I would say no... there is some really great stuff out there, its just hard to find because of the sheer volume of all the music.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by wolfy808

Jesus who sung that? Sounds arite!
There's more now actually. Talent =/= Famous, kthx. If you're just going to be one of those guys that says "OMG BEATLES FLOYD ZEP ARE GAWDS AND ALL MUSIC NOW SUXXX" you can leave now.
No, there were always a lot of **** bands like the ones they play now on the radio, you just don't know the good ones. I think that when you're thinking of Zeppelin and Sabbath you're forgetting that the 70s was all about disco...
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by wolfy808

HEY!!!

That song is ****ing genius!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Nope. The place NOT to look for musical talent is the top of the charts.

Looking elsewhere, you'll find lots of talenting bands.
signature
Quote by boreamor
The Lonely Island. The same people who sang Jizz In My Pants.

OMFG the best thing on the radio is a piss take of music. Music is doomed
Quote by wolfy808

edit:
I think there is less originality. I think it was a lot more diverse, but now a lot of things sound similar.

double-edit: let me rephrase: What is POPULAR now is less original than what was popular 30 years ago.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Mar 20, 2009,
There's more talent now than ever before.

I mean I know guitarists who are better than Page but still get no recognition because no one wants thoughtful music anymore.

I'm tired of classic rock fans who think that no one past the 80's writes good music. These people are lazy idiots who won't even look at underground music at all.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
more talent... less soul. people seem to have forgotten to have fun when they play. a lot of bands out there seem to know how to play well technically but not musically
No, but the music industry is much more commercialized than it was, which means that more music is aimed at the lowest common denominator than ever before.
Well just like the planet, music changes, and so does everything else. There's always gonna be a bad thing, and a better thing. There's deffinitely LOADS of undiscovered talent out there, whether it be metal, rock, pop, rap.. theres always someone bad and someone really good.
No less musical talents, it's just most of the good talents get no recognition.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Possibly. Most musical talent is hard to find now. You got to do some serious searching for anything good.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
There is just as much music talent now as their was maybe even more, but thats pushing it. Granit we will never have another Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, etc but their are still very talented musicians they just arent as popular cause so few bands are signed to a major label so its hard for people to get their music heard on a national level.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Without even the shadow of a doubt, there was far more musical talent 20 years ago.

New genres were constantly being formed, and the limits of current genres were being stretched to breaking point.
Have you even tried looking?

It's hard to say which had more talent, because they both have innovative techniques, and they both have certain technicalities that makes them different.
I'll admit, with great bands like Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers pumping out new material and crazy shredders like Steve Vai and Buckethead, there is lots of musical talent.

Outside of the mainstream, not much.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by isabiggles
There's more talent now than ever before.

I mean I know guitarists who are better than Page but still get no recognition because no one wants thoughtful music anymore.

I'm tired of classic rock fans who think that no one past the 80's writes good music. These people are lazy idiots who won't even look at underground music at all.

Im not a 'classic rock fan' i like some floyd, as well as dj shadow, sigur ros, dredg etc. I am constantly looking for other music but it nothing is that interesting. Probably the last album i thought was amazing talent wise and musically was...

..jesus i cant even remember. maybe opeth.
Interpol, Kasabian, Rammstein, Nephew (if you're in DK), Alice In Chains; Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman are still making original music (that is also different than what they made in the 80's). Also, the Chili Peppers. I don't know when exactly they started, but IMO their best stuff was Californication and By The Way (even Stadium Arcadium was good for a bit).

I'd say a big hell no. For those mentioned as well as countless others. It's just a bit harder to find the talent, because a lot of the stuff on the top of the charts is stuff written by producers and not the actual artists.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by wolfy808
I'll admit, with great bands like Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers pumping out new material and crazy shredders like Steve Vai and Buckethead, there is lots of musical talent.

Outside of the mainstream, not much.

RHCP and Vai...dieing 80s talent
Quote by pearlJam_31490
There is just as much music talent now as their was maybe even more, but thats pushing it. Granit we will never have another Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, etc but their are still very talented musicians they just arent as popular cause so few bands are signed to a major label so its hard for people to get their music heard on a national level.

The fuck?

But whatever, no, we won't have Hendrix and EVH and other people, we'll have better. They were excellent for their time and innovative, but that's just one frame in the evolution of guitarists. There are plenty of guys making music in the 21st century who could blow them away now in technicality, musicality and originality. It's just how music progresses.
No, that isn't the case at all.
You just have to look harder.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Page 1 of 2