What gear do you use? Do you need to fork out loads of money to get a decent sound? The only recording equipment I have is my mp3 player.
Download Audacity for recording to your computer.
Then you need an external soundcard. Look into the Line 6 Pod. I use M Audio Fast Track Pro, but M Audio makes cheaper models.
You basically need the soundcard and a VST plugin for your guitar FX.
If you want to add drums, get a MIDI controller or some software that uses loops, like Sony Acid.
This should get you started if you google some of these suggestions I've made.
Good luck!
the gear I use at home I think ran in total of about $300 (not including software, or my MIDI controller which many people here wouldn't need)

My basic set up is a Presonus Audiobox recording interface (recording interface it pretty much mandatory to get a good sound) an SM-58 and an SM-57 with occasional stuff borrowed from the studio I occasionally work in (I know the owner)

I use Sonar 8 producer edition for recording and mixing and Sony Soundforge for Mastering, I also do a lot of electronic music stuf in FL Studio and/or Reason.

(and yes, I do actually buy my software although I have a hook up and get it well below retail.)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
well if you check out my recordings and my bands recordings ..............not only will they sound ****ty,but you will also notice they're recorded wholly and solely on mp3
I have a few thousand dollars worth, but I've also been at it for over ten years. All the info is at www.greenroomrecording.ca . All the stuff in my profile was done at my place.

Most of it is pretty entry-level gear too, but don't let that discourage you.

The main message here is that you *can* get started fairly cheaply. I started with Cubase VST 3.6 (about $500), an SM58 and a built-in soundcard. I got crap results. That's not so much because of my gear, though, as it was my inexperience and lack of knowledge.

I've upgraded my interface a couple of times, bought more mics, a few different mixers, etc..... each time spending more money, but each time expanding on my flexibility to do what I wanted to do. At first I couldn't do live drums.... now I can do a full band in a go.

As I went along, buying more stuff, I did a TON of reading. I learned a LOT and practiced a LOT. (yes, the experience of making recordings is a huge part of your learning curve).

Buying gear and upgrading your studio is a never-ending process. The longer you're at it, the more you'll spend. You'll never be finished - just like you're never finished building the perfect guitar rig.... only a studio is about ten times more elaborate.

The learning process is also never ending. Just like you always want to be a better guitar player, you always want to learn how to make better recordings.

Be prepared for that. Immediate results with cheap gear and no knowledge = crap results. You can get good results with cheap gear, but it takes experience and know-how, which takes time.

Also be prepared for this... there is only so much time in a day. Since I started recording and singing, I hardly ever even touch my guitars. (mind you, a full time job and three kids adds to the pile too...)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by Fitzpatrick
What gear do you use? Do you need to fork out loads of money to get a decent sound? The only recording equipment I have is my mp3 player.

Gear:

Guitar Pro 4 (for programming MIDI)
BFD
EZ Drummer
Digidesign MBox2 Mini with ProTools 8 LE (obviously)
Vox ToneLab (original desktop model)
Behringer BDI 21
ADK 51 mic
Mic stand
More guitars and basses than I care to mention

This is my bare-bones setup that I've evolved into. I don't use an amp for guitar or bass because it's less hassle to just have good modeling when recording at home. It's also a lot easier to get a good recording for the newbie; I don't care how badass your guitar/amp combo is, unless you've spent significant time working with mic placement and general recording you won't get that sound on tape. The ToneLab isn't the least expensive modeling solution one out there but it does have a real tube in it and I think the sims are better than, say, the Line6 stuff. The Behringer BDI 21 for bass is excellent and very dependable. It's also very cheap. You don't need either BFD or EZ Drummer for decent drums, any good multi-sampled kit and a software sampler will do if you just want OK results. You don't need ProTools or anything that costs a lot of money really, it's less about the program than about the skill in that regard.

Bottom line, you need at least a good interface with a mic preamp and phantom power, a mic, and some decent software.
Doesn't take much. I use...

Behringer 1002FX mixer
MXL 2010 mic
Soundblaster Audigy sound card
Audacity software