Sup everyone. I've made a couple other amp threads in the past, and I've narrowed it down to some choice amplifiers.

I mainly play metal (Megadeth, Metallica, etc), so I would like something that can do high gain, but sound nice. No Spider III distortion here, please.
However, I would like some versatility. Along with metal, I try to play neoclassical/shred (which technically is metal, I guess) along the lines of Yngwie, Jason Becker, Steve Vai, etc. Tones I really enjoy are Steve Vai's (has an amazing lead tone), John Petrucci's (once again, nice lead tone, not as good as Steve Vai's but makes up for it with his rhythm), ad Dave Mustaine's (absolutely great for metal; has a nice high gain distortion but very defined and unfuzzy).

Right now, i have a Krank Rev Jr. Everything about it is great, except for the fact it sounds like a vacuum. So I have a speaker load with the 1x12 cab. Getting a regular sized head would look awkward, but it would work in theory.

And most importantly, my price range. I have $1200, so feel free to recommend anything at or less than that price range.

So here are my options:
-Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo

-Carvin Legacy II head

-Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

-Orange Rocker 30 head

-Used Mesa Stiletto Ace combo/ Stiletto Deuce head

-Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 1x12 combo

-Mesa Mark III head or combo (whichever one I can find)
Forgot to mention...

Fargen amps have been a consideration lately. I could swing a $1000 used Mini Plex head, if I wanted. How much do new Fargen amps tend to go for?
You didn't mention them in your list, but you could look into Randall amps. Kirk Hammett uses them and I love them myself. I have an RG75 75 watt combo and I love it. Can do metal and blues and anything else all in one amp. They have head and cab combos too. Average price is around $900 bucks for heads, and $600 for combos
Used Mesa Stiletto all the way. Probably one of the best amps out there right now for any genre. High Gain with awesome Cleans and everything in between. Youtube some videos of them and I don't think you will be too upset.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by dash-rendar
You didn't mention them in your list, but you could look into Randall amps. Kirk Hammett uses them and I love them myself. I have an RG75 75 watt combo and I love it. Can do metal and blues and anything else all in one amp. They have head and cab combos too. Average price is around $900 bucks for heads, and $600 for combos

Kirk Plays a $3000 Randall rig and it is far from comparable to a RG75. (Side note his $3000 Halfstack sounds like complete a$$ too)

And TS you have a good list started already and know pretty much what your looking for, now you just need to go out demo them and see what suits you best..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 20, 2009,
Petrucci used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV's and Mark IIC+'s mixed, and Metallica used Mark IIC+'s, so best bet would be too get a Mark III Red-Stripe, which is very similar in tone and electronics to the Mark IIC+.
Quote by dash-rendar

name one album kirk recorded with randalls
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
if bugeras didn't have such a bad reputation with QC i'd recommend one to you. they do sound nice, but i don't want you becoming good friends with your local amp tech...
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
if bugeras didn't have such a bad reputation with QC i'd recommend one to you. they do sound nice, but i don't want you becoming good friends with your local amp tech...

As much as I like new friends, I don't like my local amp tech. He smells.

I really would like to stay away from used items due to there usually not being a warranty, so keep that in mind. Has anyone had any experience with any of the Carvins?
Well, with tube amps, there's not much that could go wrong with them that is unfixable. If you test it out before buying (like if you buy through craigslist) and it works fine, it will surely work fine for you when you take it home.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Stilleto!!!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Stilleto would win it for me, but as IbanezPsycho said, you really need to try out all of those amps and see which you like best. I will say, however, that the Carvins have a very distinct lead sound which seems to be a love/hate thing (I love them, btw.)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
What about the VHT Deliverence? I could get a used 60W head. The only problem is that I can't find any sort of spec sheet. Can it take a 16 ohm load?