Poll Options
View poll results: Notation or TAB?
Notation
19 24%
TAB
74 95%
Voters: 78.
Page 1 of 2
My sight reading isn't that great so usually just use notation to figure out how something works rhythmically.
I read both. I can't sight read very well though, but gimme a minute and I can figure it out. Like T!AN said, I usually use it just to figure out rhythm qualities.

EDIT: Where's the "both" option? DIDN'T YOU THINK OF ME WHEN YOU MADE THIS THREAD?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Last edited by SchecterC-1+Man at Mar 20, 2009,
I read tabs for guitar, although I can read music. I just have trouble reading guitar-oriented notation,f or whatever reason.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Well, I can't sight read, I guess it's called, but if I want to learn a song form piano sheet music, I can. I prefer guitar tabs, because sheet music never has all the notes for some reason.
what if you have that fancy tabs that show notation and tab?

huh?

HUH?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I thought I did let people choose both?

I think that just reading tab is mad!
With TAB, you don't even know wich not your playing!
How could you sit a thory exam with just knowing TAB???????????????
With notation, you would know all the thory as with little number, how would you?
I find notation easy that tab. TAB does my head in as I feel as if I don't know what I'm doin'!
Last edited by Macintoshmaster at Mar 20, 2009,
(I think) that TAB is the hardest way to learn.
The hardest way is the easyest way (Meaning) TAB's OK in the short run but notation is better in the long run!

TAB
Pros: faster, get a good sound faster on simpler music
Cons: Slower in the long run, don't even know what note your playing and can't sit theory exams with any ease!!!

Notation

Pros: Great in the long run, you know what all the scales mean in theory, can compose easyer with it.Cons: Slow in the short run (harder to learn) get fustrating learning it.
Apple Macintosh

Fender Stratocaster Highway one HSS USA

Marshall DSL50 British green
I have grade 8 in sax and piano (now doing my dimplomas) , grade 5 in violin ALCM in composition and I have not been playing guitar for that long but I'm on grade 3 (been playing guitar for 2 months) and I have been playing music for 4 years.
What grades do you have?

John.
Apple Macintosh

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Grades? I don't even think we have grades in the States, do we?

Yes I think that USA does,
exam boards.
What qualifications do you have in music?
Apple Macintosh

Well, considering I'm a freshman in college and only 18 years old, none to list yet. But I don't need official qualifications to prove my ability to play. And since when do I need to prove anything to you?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Well, considering I'm a freshman in college and only 18 years old, none to list yet. But I don't need official qualifications to prove my ability to play. And since when do I need to prove anything to you?
Mate, don't feel enbarrassed! I don't mind!
Cat got ya tong?
Apple Macintosh

Quote by Macintoshmaster
Mate, don't feel enbarrassed! I don't mind!
Cat got your tong?

Not embarrassed in the least, "mate." And you don't mind what, exactly?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Not embarrassed in the least, "mate." And you don't mind what, exactly?

Sure!

Apple Macintosh

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It helps to actually make sense when typing. otherwise you just look like a dumb ****

A dumb what?
Not swearing are you?
I don't like swearing idiots

Anyway, I guess your lack of achevements on music as got on your nerves.
Never mind!

Have some self respect dude! Don't let standards get that low.
Apple Macintosh

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Like I said, in the US, we don't need officiality and bureaucracy to tell us we're good at doing something.

You at least need any quallification in something to do with music!
Apple Macintosh

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Says who?

life
Apple Macintosh

Right, well unless you plan on being a proffesional composer or some such thing, a degree is not required. How many band members do you think went out and got a degree before they hit it big?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Right, well unless you plan on being a proffesional composer or some such thing, a degree is not required. How many band members do you think went out and got a degree before they hit it big?

cos people get big does not mean that there music is accademicly good.
For instence, spice girls are rich, music accademicly sucks.
All these idiots like spice girls are con men!
And you said it your self!
If you don't wanna go pro, qualifications don't matter; they don't matter if you wanna mess about; but if you wanna go pro, then there more than anything else!!!
Apple Macintosh

Right. Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, all the great classics are all con men? I thought you were just an arrogant, pretentious twat. Now I realize you're just a little slow. Were you dropped?
All those who you are on about make accademicly good music. your the one who his slow letting you standards get so low that you get swearing!
NOT MY STYLE!
Mainly simple pop music sucks.

Sad or what?
Apple Macintosh

They're academic, yet they have no "grades" to prove so. How does that work? Oh yeah, of course, count on arrogant to raise up double standards to better favor their own views.
Anyway,
This thread isn't about swearing. as you are not fully balanced, I can't talk about this subject.
Apple Macintosh

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']They're academic, yet they have no "grades" to prove so. How does that work? Oh yeah, of course, count on arrogant to raise up double standards to better favor their own views.

The composer will have (composing is the hard bit remember!)
The players might though.
Composers normally have at least a degree.
Apple Macintosh

You sound a lot like this kid from Student Center I know. His name is Peter Merrick and he lives in Cornwall. Similar style of argument: completely incoherent and comprised of nothing but repetitive questions and unsubstantial claims.

Quote by Macintoshmaster
The composer will have (composing is the hard bit remember!)
The players might though.
Composers normally have at least a degree.

I'm aware composers will. in fact, I just said it five minutes ago ^^^
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 20, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You sound a lot like this kid from Student Center I know. His name is Peter Merrick and he lives in Cornwall. Similar style of argument: completely incoherent and comprised of nothing but repetitive questions and unsubstantial claims.

Listen mate,
I'm only telling you what I think!
I have heard what you think and I have not had big tants!
You can't mannage a convo.
You love TAB I don't so what.
Move on man!
Apple Macintosh

I have moved on. I'm trying to figure out why you think it's necessary to have an degree to be a good musician.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I have moved on. I'm trying to figure out why you think it's necessary to have an degree to be a good musician.

All no hopers say that!
Apple Macintosh

The great one is awaiting your reply sir!
Apple Macintosh

OK Then!
You are a good musician.
And TAB is the best!!!
The very best!!!!!
The bestest!
The bestest of all!!!!!!!!
And qualifacacions are meaninless - but only for you sir, yes, only for you.
Apple Macintosh

Quote by Macintoshmaster
OK Then!
You are a good musician.
And TAB is the best!!!
The very best!!!!!
The bestest!
The bestest of all!!!!!!!!
And qualifacacions are meaninless - but only for you sir, yes, only for you.

Believe it or not, qualifications have very little to do with whether you'll get signed to a label or get asked to do gigs. If you want to be a teacher or composer etc., then they're a good thing. But most people would rather listen to your music than read an achievements list to tell how good you are.

And don't make multiple posts in a row, or bump your own thread.
Page 1 of 2