I'm new so this site, so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place... but anyway...

Does anyone have any knowledge on resetting an Edge III tremolo?

Being told it was not fit for Drop C tuning, I tried putting it in Drop C. Smart, eh?
It didn't work, so I tuned it back to Standard E. But the strings for some reason, especially the high E, lost so much action, and barely sounded out notes. So I spent a while adjusting the tremolo higher, lower, etc... Then I just ended up putting it back at a good approximation of where it was before. Adjusting the string action by raising or lowering the tremolo helped, but did not help very much. The sound was still very mediocre (I couldn't even get a good artificial harmonic anywhere), and the tremolo was noticeably high up.

And on to yet another problem that came to be:
The tremolo will no longer let itself be pulled upwards, only allowing me to do dives.

So, with that all said:

Does anyone know how to "reset" the tremolo back to the way it was so it can go in both directions, and also get the string action back to normal?

I really don't want to take it all the way to San Fran to get it repaired... But I think may end up doing so (I have warranty on a previous repair, so I think it would be covered).
where you went wrong was getting a guitar the an Edge III

XD
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
littlephil, the link you directed me to was slightly helpful, but none of the string gauging info helped return my strings back to full sound quality and playability. It also didn't explain how to adjust the direction setting of it.
Thank you though!

and justlivin— Over the years, my Edge III tremolo has been really great to play with— but as with all Floyd Rose and other similar systems, I've learned that if I want to play in other tuning ranges, I should get a guitar without a locking system (which will hopefully happen this summer).

*Sigh*

If I can't do this myself, looks like my guitar is going back to where it was a couple of weeks ago.
Pics? You probably need to put more springs in the back of the guitar or just screw the claw in a bit more.
The amount of springs isn't really a problem, because its had the same amount in the current tuning range than the last one i tried to put it in.

and.. well.. i've never messed around with the tuning system that much, so i'm not very familiar with locking system lingo or whatever :P
what is the claw...?
the edge III is very badly made so you cant really tell if you can do w/e untill you are done putting everything together. i've done a set up for a edge III before and the way i did it was raise the whole bridge till the bottom of the bridge is lined up with the top of the body of the guitar. i then tune it from there and adjust the screws to get the right tension. if i were you i would just get a floyd rose as it alot easyer to use and alot better.
Thanks, that info helped me get a better idea of an ideal position for my tremolo,
but I don't think the adjustment you mentioned would fix my tremolos' acquired problem of only being able to go in one direction. True, a Floyd Rose system is much better, but I'm happy with a functioning Edge III. My next guitar will most likely not have a locking system so I can tune it to whatever I want (...a Schecter perhaps?)

And also, adding to my string problem— they can now play notes, but the action is excruciatingly horrible, as well as the sound quality. I'm playing on a 75 Watt Line 6 Spider III, which has always got an amazing gain on the settings I have it on.. Now it sounds like the gain and body of the tone has deteriorated... Could it be I accidentally adjusted the strings so they're too high from the pickup (if they go back to how they were they would be unplayable but still...)...?
Thanks for all your help people, but I think I just fully repaired the tremolo on my own! XD
w00t
The string action is now restored, and the tremolo is once again able to go both ways!

I did this by first modifying the default position of the tremolo. I did this by raising it, slipping a magazine under it and letting it go back down on top of the magazine, which raised it into the position in which I wanted it. After I was done re-tuning, I locked the nut, ad took the magazine away, and the it stayed in the position at which the magazine had raised it. Now, the only problem was the string action. I realized that they were raised too high, so I also lowered the bridge into the guitar a little until the strings were closer to the fretboard. So now not only do I know how to fix my guitar when this happens, I think this is also the way to adjust the guitar for Drop tuning!

All I have to say is damn. I've never even repaired a guitar before.

Last edited by zaggy1 at Mar 21, 2009,
you should probably check your intonation after screwing with your trem that much with the harmonics on the twelvth fret and take off the locking nut, loosen the strings and after that take off the back plate on the guitar and adjust the two screws in the back until the threading on the screws is all the way inside of the guitar (even) that's usually the factory preset and if that doesnt work take it to a music shop and they might even be nice enough to do it for free
if you want to tune your guitar down i think you have to adjust one side of the springs just enough to make the trem float evenly I have the same trem as you do i just never tried to do that oh and by the way to all the edge haters out there floyd rose is not in any way shape or form better than edge bridges or the edge zr tremolos but they might be better than kahlers
I have checked and adjusted the intonation on the 12th frets of my strings. I actually used an easier method for adjusting it, but either way, its good.

And as for tuning my guitar down— I figured out how to make it float evenly for Drop tuning. In fact the result of what I've done would be exactly what the guy in the repair shop I go to explained me a while ago— if I adjust it for drop tuning (below Drop D I think) the trem would only be able to go in one direction (downwards), which it does now.

I think my method of adjusting the default position of the tremolo as well as the gauge of the strings works (I think adjusting the default position loosens or tightens the springs, as you said), because it does allow it to float evenly.

If anything happens to go wrong, I still have warranty on my last repair, so they can fix it up, adjust it, etc. for free.