When I want to play someone else's solos, I usually just lean the slower parts and "important" notes. I usually play whatever's comfortable to me at the same speed as the original. It doesn't sound bad since I'm playing in the correct key, it's just a little different. But it's fast so it's hard to tell the order of the notes anyway. Anyone else do this?
No. Just practice.

Upon rereading it, I do that too sometimes. It's called improvising parts of a solo. Just get good at it.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
i prefer to actually LEARN the solo, but i do play it with my own inflection
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Slow it down and keep practising until you can do it well slowly, then gradually speed it up. It really helps because you are building muscle memory.
Its not a bad or wrong thing to do unless you really really really wanna know that solo note for note. I usually play solos to songs a little differently everytime anyway. Do what feels good.
I honestly don't care at all if I can't play a solo perfectly since I'll never actually play it in an important situation. It's not like I play in a cover band. And most players don't play solos note for note live. There's often variation from the studio version. I'm just trying to have fun.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I honestly don't care at all if I can't play a solo perfectly since I'll never actually play it in an important situation. It's not like I play in a cover band. And most players don't play solos note for note live. There's often variation from the studio version. I'm just trying to have fun.

I can't actually remember a single live performance of Paul Gilbert's where any particular song was note for note on the soloes, so you have a point there. Then again, a lot of his old stuff was done with two guitars (him and Bruce Bouillet)
It really depends on what song you're playing, whether or not you want to do it note for note. I personally don't solo ALL that much, but when I do, I do it for feel, not flash. So, even if I'm playing something by someone else, I'll through out their solo, if it's appropriate, and sub in my own in the same key and vain. If I'm doing like... a weezer song (is that really the only thing I can think of?) I do it note for note, but with like John Mayer, I'll do my own thing with the solo, because to me, the JM stuff is much more about feel than the Weezer stuff, you know what I mean?

It really does come down to your style, though.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.