Playing this riff like this....

17-13--------------13-17-13------------------------------13----------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------15-14-15---------------15-14-------------14-15-----------------
-------------------------------------------15-14-15------------------------ (and repeat)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or..

17--------------------17---------------------------------------------
----18------------18------18-------------------------------18----------------------------
--------15-14-15---------------15-14-------------14-15-----------------
-------------------------------------------15-14-15------------------------ (and repeat)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the notes taht are on the same string are legatoed (is taht even a word?)

Which would make more sense to play, or is more practical, or easier, what ever wiords u wanna use.

The scond one uses sweeps and the first one uses string skipping

(its from universal mind by the wayyy.

O and theyre all played at the same rhythm (semi quavers) at about 160 bpm? in 44
It depends. The second is will have a smoother sound thanks to the sweeps rather than the quite abrupt string skipping.
I would play the second one, personally. It looks more connected (I can be very audio-visual) and I would be more likely to play the sweeps smothly than the string skips, but that's just my personal preference.
Quote by Geldin
It depends. The second is will have a smoother sound thanks to the sweeps rather than the quite abrupt string skipping.
I would play the second one, personally. It looks more connected (I can be very audio-visual) and I would be more likely to play the sweeps smothly than the string skips, but that's just my personal preference.

I agree with this.

The sweeping will sound smoother, and therefore (to me) better.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
I agree with this.

The sweeping will sound smoother, and therefore (to me) better.

+2, IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Geldin

+1

smoother sound would be achieved, but either way its personal preference,

also, take your time to type next time. please.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Since u guys think that sweeping will sound better, do you guys think there sny reason why the guy who tabbed this song tabbed it like the first one?

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1439314

(needs guitar pro soz)

I saw a few otehr tabs, and theyre like that aswell. There muse be a reason, especially since the tab soudns pretty good, im guessing the tabber must have a reason for doign so... thanks
If it's tabbed out that way unanimously, then chances are that's how the musician played it.

Or they're just wrong.... Most tabs are. That's why we train our ear, kids!
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
The song probably wasn't played smoothly, or he didn't think of octaves when tabbing...

One time I tabbed a song and forgot about octaves... I had some weird complicated crap going on....

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Petrucci plays it alternate picked, the way you tabbed it out the first time. The song is Universal Mind by Liquid Tension Experiment.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The first one is the way that Petrucci actually plays it, and it seems like the most logical way to me.

There's no real reason that sweep picking should sound all that much smoother unless you're not proficient at string skipping. Paul Gilbert does this kind of thing all the time and he sounds pretty damn smooth to me.

The second one isn't very economical as far as your fretting hand goes. There's just too much movement going on. Plus it's not all that practical of a sweeping pattern either.
Last edited by icronic at Mar 20, 2009,
Alternate picking the riff.

You can play it any way if you want, but the original is alternate picked.

In my opinion you should do the first, cause you have more effective dynamic range.

With sweeps, you can't accent well. You either push down or up, and you can't push harder, cause this wil result in ur sweep being faster. With alternate picking you can choose on every individual note how hard you pick it.

It is more difficult, but it brings many rewards, and not only to this lick, but ur alternate picking/stringskipping in general.

Ironically, Petrucci sometimes does licks based on ur 2nd (sweep) version with alternate picking as well, which would result in almost the same sound as the first.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Alternate picking the riff.

You can play it any way if you want, but the original is alternate picked.

In my opinion you should do the first, cause you have more effective dynamic range.

With sweeps, you can't accent well. You either push down or up, and you can't push harder, cause this wil result in ur sweep being faster. With alternate picking you can choose on every individual note how hard you pick it.

It is more difficult, but it brings many rewards, and not only to this lick, but ur alternate picking/stringskipping in general.

Ironically, Petrucci sometimes does licks based on ur 2nd (sweep) version with alternate picking as well, which would result in almost the same sound as the first.

Alternate pick everynote? or are the notes on the same string tapped and pulled off?
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Alternate pick everynote? or are the notes on the same string tapped and pulled off?

NO tapping, pulls offs on the first note wouldn't make a massive difference in sound.

Ofcourse if you can do both ur more proficient.

IT can be done with alternate picking every note.

Depends on what you want, eh.

If I Wanted to cover this song for a gig in a week, I wouldn't spend half of that time just on the intro lick.

But if I wanted to improve my alternate picking, then I would practice purely with that.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??