I nearly bought the Jim root tele the other day yet my mate stopped me,

apparently you can make a cheaper version which is just as good if not better,

Here are the specs how would you do it ? and then I say saving money its gotta more than a few $

Model Name Jim Root Telecaster®
Model Number 013-4444-(Color #)
Series Artist Series
Colors (706) Flat Black,
(780) Flat White,
(Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Body Mahogany
Neck Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
(Satin Urethane Finish)
Fingerboard Ebony on (780) Flat White, or Maple on (706) Flat Black, 12” Radius (305 mm)
No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
Pickups 1 EMG 60 (Neck); 1 EMG 81 (Bridge)
Controls Master Volume
Pickup Switching 3-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup
Bridge Black 6-Saddle Strings-Through-Body Hardtail Bridge
Machine Heads Black Fender®/Schaller® Deluxe Cast/Sealed Locking Tuning Machines
Hardware Black
Pickguard 1-Ply White On: (706) Flat Black,
1-Ply Black On: (780) Flat White
Scale Length 25.5” (648 mm)
Width at Nut 1.650" (42 mm)
Unique Features Mahogany Body,
Active EMG Pickups,
Ebony or Maple Fingerboard with 12” Radius (305mm),
White Pearloid Dot Position Inlays on Ebony Fingerboard,
Black Dot Position Inlays on Maple Fingerboard,
Black Hardware,
Black Pickguard Screws,
Flat Finshes
Strings Fender Standard Tension™ ST250L, Nickel Plated Steel,
Gauges: (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042),
p/n 0730250203
Accessories Black Tweed Case with Red Plush Interior
Case Black Tweed Case
...gb&c
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
yer, you probably could buy all the parts for cheaper than the guitar.... and if you back your ability to put them all together in a way that works for you then you will save in the end, but buying it is definaqtely the easier option.....
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
How much is this signature tele? In general signature guitars are overpriced just for the "luxury" of have an artists name on your guitar.

EDIT: Okay I see the price. I don't think you can build one yourself for that price because that's actually a fairly reasonable price. I would however try to stay away from signature guitars. You can always find a guitar just as good or better for cheaper. The one thing you probably won't find is a tele with EMGs. If you really want EMGs I suggest buying a different brand of guitar with them already in.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Last edited by kingofdudes161 at Mar 20, 2009,
it may not be cheaper to built it yourself, but if you know how to work with stuff like that you would end up with a better quality axe since the Fender is mass produced and not all done by hand
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I considered making a Jim Root tele a while back but realised most production bodies are routed from the front.

To make it yourself you need to get hold of an un-routed tele body.

Notice how Jim's doesn't have the cavity plate on the front of the guitar and a different bridge set up from a normal tele. You'd also have to custom make a pickgaurd simply cause most production pickgaurds are sold with space cut out to occupy the electronics cavity plate.

The EMG's would probably eat up most of the budget. But I'd say you could probably make it for a few hundred less than the list price. Probably wouldn't be exactly true to Jim's but you'll have fun from the experience, unless you **** it up.

The guys over at GB&C would offer better advice.
M.
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Quote by Survivalism
You're never, ever, ever going to have any other Telecaster with those specs.

thats what makes his tele practically the only tele id ever wanna own
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Isn't Jim Root the rhythm guitarist of Slipknot?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Isn't Jim Root the rhythm guitarist of Slipknot?

no. he's metallica's public relations officer
Using Warmoth, you could make a copy of the Jim Root signature Tele that would be exactly the same as the Fender one but cost around £400 less (don't know American prices, sorry).

However you could only get it finished in a gloss white/black poly finish, you still wouldn't have the satin white/black nitro finish, which is the main thing that makes the Jim Root model so expensive.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Unless you're an experienced builder (or want to go the Warmoth route) I'd just buy the guitar. If you have the money for it and you want it then go for it.

Don't let the fact that you might be able to build it cheaper stop you. You can usually build things cheaper than buying them already assembled, it's just that you pay more for the put together product and in turn you save time and effort.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15