I wanna do the one handed licks like angus young where you do all those hammer ons and pull offs without picking before them. How do I do that? I just wanna know how to do it because right now I have no clue what im doing! Please help
if you mute the strings you're not playing, you can use your left hand to tap everything and use proper hammer-on/pull-off technique to keep the string ringing out. i do it a lot, it's quite fun once you find stuff to do with it.
...You hammer on and pull off without picking. In order for the pickup to pickup sound, you need to create vibration. The vibration will work well enough from the hammer ons if you have high enough gain. And if you're talking about Thunderstruck, tap it.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Quote by HorsemanOfDeath
if you mute the strings you're not playing, you can use your left hand to tap everything and use proper hammer-on/pull-off technique to keep the string ringing out. i do it a lot, it's quite fun once you find stuff to do with it.

Uh I don't really get that. Could you explain? Sorry.
What you want to do is called tapping. There are a couple of ways to tap. If you want to do songs like Thunderstruck which are relatively low on the neck, you can just push down on the fret and string as hard as you want. If you want to do something like One, tap with the blunt long edge with your pick.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
What he means is, like when i play thunderstruck i take the index and middle finger on my right hand and place them on the G and the high E strings by the bridge so when i accidently hit them they are muted. then with high gain you just hammer on and pull off 4-0-7-0-4-0-7 and so on, on the B string. try to hit the strings hard coming down and kind of flick them with a downward motion when pulling off.
try looking at some modern Eddie Van Halen clips. Old ones aren't good because you cant see his hands
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
Quote by poncho2049
What he means is, like when i play thunderstruck i take the index and middle finger on my right hand and place them on the G and the high E strings by the bridge so when i accidently hit them they are muted. then with high gain you just hammer on and pull off 4-0-7-0-4-0-7 and so on, on the B string. try to hit the strings hard coming down and kind of flick them with a downward motion when pulling off.

Ok. But how do I get the strings to vibrate. Do I pluck the string above the fret with my left hand or do I just slam my pinky down hard like a hammer on.
Last edited by angusyoung12345 at Mar 21, 2009,
If it's a run like Thunderstruck, what I would do is use my right hand to mute every string except the B string (palm can cover the E, A, D and G strings, I then use the pick to mute the high E), and I play the run using just my left hand doing hammer-ons and pull-offs. If your hammer-on and pull-off technique is correct, the string will ring out loud enough without having to pluck anything, though sometimes I pluck the first note with the pick just to get it started well.

If you're not getting it to ring out clearly enough then your hammer/pull technique is sloppy or incorrect, simple as that. Keep practising it properly. Remember with pull-offs you don't just lift your finger off the string, you have to 'semi pluck' it, and with hammer-ons the key is simply how quickly and strongly you hit your finger down.

Though for what it's worth, Angus doens't actually play Thunderstruck like this, he plucks every single note with the pick like normal. It was only in the music video he did the tapping run and that was mimed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If it's a run like Thunderstruck, what I would do is use my right hand to mute every string except the B string (palm can cover the E, A, D and G strings, I then use the pick to mute the high E), and I play the run using just my left hand doing hammer-ons and pull-offs. If your hammer-on and pull-off technique is correct, the string will ring out loud enough without having to pluck anything, though sometimes I pluck the first note with the pick just to get it started well.

If you're not getting it to ring out clearly enough then your hammer/pull technique is sloppy or incorrect, simple as that. Keep practising it properly. Remember with pull-offs you don't just lift your finger off the string, you have to 'semi pluck' it, and with hammer-ons the key is simply how quickly and strongly you hit your finger down.

Though for what it's worth, Angus doens't actually play Thunderstruck like this, he plucks every single note with the pick like normal. It was only in the music video he did the tapping run and that was mimed.

thanks yah i no that angus doesnt play Thunderstruck that way but there are some other licks he does. Thanks for the help I'll keep working on my hammer ons and pull offs