I
wanted to make this thread for the Fender J-bass owners and players (like so) who have any questions, pics, or knowledge on these classic electric basses. I would like to have listings of Jazz Bass players of any genre. Or; for that matter any Fender Jazz related news or up comings.

My e-mail kappmason@yahoo.com

My first question is: My 1997 MIA jazz does not have the brownish truss rod stripe in the back of the neck, why is this? www.wikipedia.com Fender Corp.

:argue :angel : cheers
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
In a few days when i get a u.s.b cable i will post some pics of my Jazz beauty; sunburst, seymour pups, and MIA w/rosewood fingerboard....any one who can answer my first question(top post)????

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
yea, i wanted a solid maple neck...no such luck, but i'am very happy with my guitar

o btw, a sales rep at a local music store (good one n' Houston) told me that some necks are a solid chunk o' maple. Depends on the plant etc.

Last edited by loinmute at Mar 20, 2009,
Here's the lowdown.

The dark stripe on the back of the neck, known as the 'skunk stripe', was originally to fill up the hole through which the truss rod was fitted. As the necks were made of one piece maple, including the fingerboard, there was no other way of getting into the neck. The wood itself adds nothing structurally...it just closes the hole.

Fender stopped using a skunk stripe between 1960 and around 65, when they introduced rosewood fingerboards. As the truss rod could now be loaded from under the fingerboard, they abandoned the stripe.

Fender restarted maple finger boards, and reintroduced the skunk stripe in, I think, the late 60s. As the stripe had now become part of the Fender image, they left it in, even on rosewood fingerboard necks.

In the past decade, Fender have started producing graphite reinforced bass necks. There is no room in these necks to include the reinforcement AND the skunk stripe, so the stripe goes. If you have a look at the recent American Deluxes, and Standards, you will notice no skunk stripe. You will also notice that even the maple fingerboard necks are two part...neck and separate fingerboard.

If you look at the non graphite reinforced vintage series basses, you'll see they still have skunk stripes.

Andy quoted by andy from some other realm of society....thanks corvetterick

TBH, Fender seems to use the skunk stripe at almost random these day:

My MIM P-bass - Has a skunk strip
My Squier Jazz- No stripe
My Squier Strat- Has a skunk strip
Quote by Captain Insano
TBH, Fender seems to use the skunk stripe at almost random these day:

My MIM P-bass - Has a skunk strip
My Squier Jazz- No stripe
My Squier Strat- Has a skunk strip

Yea, I've noticed that recently Fender puts the skunk stripe on every bass except the American Standard, American Deluxe, 62' RI Jazz and Precision, and the 75'RI Jazz Bass.(There may be more but that's all that know for a fact that don't have the skunk stripe)
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
SO what is this thread for.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
SO what is this thread for.

+1

I find it a useless thread that will make the jazz bass seem better than less popular basses, which is not always the case.

none of that TB elitism here!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
holy **** a thread about jazz basses and i have yet to post in it!!!

hi

that is all
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Does anyone have experience with some frets sounding louder/weaker than others on the fingerboard? I have that problem with my Marcus Miller, and i hate it
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
I play on a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 string. It's not too shabby! I'm glad I bought it. It does have a stripe down the neck. I don't have any major complaints with it ever since I learned how to set it up properly. That was maybe the best thing I've done for my bass playing, haha.
Skunk stripe's were originally used to put the truss rod in all-maple neck basses, as there is no need for one on a rosewood as the fretboard is a separate piece of wood and the truss rod can be inserted when the two are glued together. Nowadays skunk stripes are just cosmetic..
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by loinmute
Here's the lowdown.

The dark stripe on the back of the neck, known as the 'skunk stripe', was originally to fill up the hole through which the truss rod was fitted. As the necks were made of one piece maple, including the fingerboard, there was no other way of getting into the neck. The wood itself adds nothing structurally...it just closes the hole.

Fender stopped using a skunk stripe between 1960 and around 65, when they introduced rosewood fingerboards. As the truss rod could now be loaded from under the fingerboard, they abandoned the stripe.

Fender restarted maple finger boards, and reintroduced the skunk stripe in, I think, the late 60s. As the stripe had now become part of the Fender image, they left it in, even on rosewood fingerboard necks.

In the past decade, Fender have started producing graphite reinforced bass necks. There is no room in these necks to include the reinforcement AND the skunk stripe, so the stripe goes. If you have a look at the recent American Deluxes, and Standards, you will notice no skunk stripe. You will also notice that even the maple fingerboard necks are two part...neck and separate fingerboard.

If you look at the non graphite reinforced vintage series basses, you'll see they still have skunk stripes.

Andy quoted by andy from some other realm of society....thanks corvetterick

Sorry i must have missed this

+1000 thats correct
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
this thread is 4 jazz bass lovers. if u don't qualify then don't post lol.....man i gotta start 2 get some pics of me MIA jazz...

It's only a cellphone pic, but it'll do for now. Here's my candy cola MIA Jazz:

Eh, bit of a boring bass if you ask me.

MWAHAHAHA

FEED ME, FOR I AM A TROLL <_< >_>.

Sorry peeps
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Eh, bit of a your face if you ask me

oh yes i went there

Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Nutter_101
Eh, bit of a boring bass if you ask me.

MWAHAHAHA

FEED ME, FOR I AM A TROLL <_< >_>.

Sorry peeps

wut? there be trolls!!!!!

grab the toe smasher!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom