Page 1 of 2
does any one still prefer a good old 4 string bass over a 5 or 6 string I myself am a faithfull 4 stringer
I started on a 5 string. then i got a 4 string. then a 6 string. then a 4 string. Couldn't seem to make up my mind. I played an Ibanez btb 5 string at GC today and I think I've found the bass for me. The string spacing was pretty similiar to a 4 string. Nice wide neck to make up for it. Sure it wasn't exactly the same but it was quite nice. My vote goes to 5 string.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i gotta have a 4, it's what i learned on. However, after getting in2 Dream Theater I was into 6'ers. And, after hearinh Jaco I was into fretless. So, i settles for the Carvin 5'er -the frets
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
I have 4 strings but I really wish I had bought a 5er. There are times I really want the lower tones and the efficiency of movement a five stringer
Is this a "Should I get a five string?" thread, a "What's the point of the fifth string?" thread, or a "Is anyone alive out there?" thread?

I would like a five string, I almost got a five string, but both money and space are issues for me, so I'll struggle along...
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Meh, determine if you need the fifth string, if you don't why get it?
if u need more than 4, your not good.

and if you have to drop tune lower than a whole step, your not good.
Try adding more delay.
If you make broad generalizations without thinking, you're not good. Are you trying to be the example of the perfect "Elitist"?

EDIT: I didn't mean to be insulting, I just get tired of this. It would be better if you could give reasons instead of just throwing your opinion out in the middle of everything, Telemaster.
I have:

Last edited by samskii at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by samskii
If you make broad generalizations without thinking, you're not good. Are you trying to be the example of the perfect "Elitist"?

EDIT: I didn't mean to be insulting, I just get tired of this. It would be better if you could give reasons instead of just throwing your opinion out in the middle of everything, Telemaster.

Awh man, don't worry, he posts the same thing in these threads all the time. He's probably just trolling to piss people off, don't let it get to you.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if u need more than 4, your not good.

and if you have to drop tune lower than a whole step, your not good.

Horse

sh*t.

Ryan Martinie? Nick Olivieri? Victor Wooten? Steve Bailey? Marcus Miller? Stuart Zender?

Anyways, ignorance aside, go for what you find most comfortable. I really like 5 strings, and, as always, find economy of motion a great help in playing.
I feel uncomfortable playing some parts with open strings, it just feels better translating it down a string and fretting things, plus I like walking certain scales with lower bass notes (throw in a good old C# for good measure.)

Also, I love playing in C standard without having to have my strings as loose as a (explicate).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i play a 5er but find my self quite frequently tuning the E string down to a D, cus i play in bands with drop D guitarists, and its quite often the easiest thing to do. Do you guys with 5ers do this, or do you work hard and play along to drop D riffs in standard GDAEB?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Jake the Peg
i play a 5er but find my self quite frequently tuning the E string down to a D, cus i play in bands with drop D guitarists, and its quite often the easiest thing to do. Do you guys with 5ers do this, or do you work hard and play along to drop D riffs in standard GDAEB?

If they are "Drop D riffs", then I do drop; as in they are riffs that are heavily based on (say) D minor with heaps of open D notes. I think it is a hassle if you are not good at shift-octave position (err, I made that term up, but as in you are keeping a pivot between the octaves on 3rd fret B and 5th fret A). I think it is much easier to just drop and fret the notes and have that open string to work with, plus you can always just drop the B to an A and create ultra-breakdowns (just fret a fifth below and have them play power chords with fourths instead of fifths) (or even Drop G; I tried this out once and it was the most brutal thing ever, besides the fact that I think G is way too floppy to practically use).

I hope the post is cohesive.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i like my 4 strings, i just don't get along with 5ers
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I started on a four, but my second bass is a fiver. I'd like to get a six string, possibly fretless, to play around with. It's no hurry though, 'cause my prefereance is fives

I'm super biased about necks now ): I only like my ibanez 5neck and thick 4s, when I play them. (Which is not often)
for me 4 > 5 or 6 TAKE THAT MATHS
4 strings just feel right for my hands. I have tried 5 and 6 strings. the first bass i ever played was my friends 5er and it felt odd. still does now but i have spent basicaly the rest of my time on 4 strings
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
5-string only with me. I'll never buy another 4 as long as I live, unless it's something that just totally blows my pants off. My Thumb NT4 is a great bass, as is my Stingray 4, but one or both of them will soon be restrung BEAD.

Playing 5-string is just perfect for me, I can go as high or as low as I want with zero restrictions, and can play in two octaves in most postitions. 6-string is a bit much; it's cool, but I feel like I'd be sacrificing playability for another string I wouldn't frequently use. I'd be fine with the right one, though. Long story short- no more 4-strings for me. I'll keep the ones I have, but I won't buy another one.

As far as tunings, my basses are:

Stingray- EADG
Fortress One- ADGCF, always
Fortress Flashback- BEADG
Thumb BO5- Either BEADG or ADGCF; it's my main bass so it switches roles a lot
Thumb NT4- Soon to be BEAD; it has 26 frets so it'll have the same number of notes as a 22-fretted 5-string. With it's D-Tuner, I can drop it to A whenever I want.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 21, 2009,
My beginer bass was a 4 string then I got my second bass(my main one) which is a 6 string. I play my school's 4 string(a Peavey Cirrus) because there isn't anywhere safe to put my main bass. As far as playing jazz goes I can say I do fairly well on going up the neck because I don't have my faithful C string but it would just be a lot nicer to have. Also for doing some walking lines where I'm only given the chords I like going to down to the low octaves on the B string to hold down the basement in the band and sometimes I even get a piece of music where I need a B string so I have to go an octave up which I don't really like(I like my low notes lol).

So far right now I say that I'm never going to buy a bass with fewer than 6 strings. It's just so nice to have the range and ability to play in so many more positions.
I have a 4, 5, and 6 string, and I find the 6 unwieldy most of the time. The 5 is a fretless, so I don't play it really that much at all. I play the 4 90% of the time, and I find myself wanting a second 4, but at the same time, the 6 is so nice for playing things that aren't rock. It's pretty much a tie.
Never owned a 5er or 6, but I have played both and I think thay are better. This is only based if you can find one with the comfort level of a 4 string, but has more notes to use.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
It's all about the 6ers. I might get a 7 though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by moody git
Sigged

stratkat
Quote by lordofthefood1
If they are "Drop D riffs", then I do drop; as in they are riffs that are heavily based on (say) D minor with heaps of open D notes. I think it is a hassle if you are not good at shift-octave position (err, I made that term up, but as in you are keeping a pivot between the octaves on 3rd fret B and 5th fret A). I think it is much easier to just drop and fret the notes and have that open string to work with, plus you can always just drop the B to an A and create ultra-breakdowns (just fret a fifth below and have them play power chords with fourths instead of fifths) (or even Drop G; I tried this out once and it was the most brutal thing ever, besides the fact that I think G is way too floppy to practically use).

I hope the post is cohesive.

i'm gonna do this ^^^ awesome idea, mate.

re: 'shift-octave blah' yeah, i know, can be a bit of a bitch for some songs, however others it can be ok, especially as yuo cn drop down to a lower C very easily.
I hate this arguement. I tune my 4-strings BEAD. It's still a 4-string ZOMG!!!!!!

I love 5 strings because I consider them 4-strings with a "minus one-th" string. I need that "minus one-th" string. Don't use open Bs too often, but that low D is key.

Quote by moody git

A user named moody git talking about "MATHS"!? Egad, that's the most British thing I've ever seen on UG!!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 21, 2009,
even though 6ers often look like boats, they are very simple and easy to handle if your technique is solid.

the main reason not to buy a 5 or 6 string is if you're willing to pay more whenever you replace your strings. (this point is somewhat moot if you string like the fitz)

the main reason not to buy a 4 string is the wonderful lack of sliding about you get from the extended notes per hand position (aka the economy of movement, a term that reminds me of people moving to places with more jobs).
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Jake the Peg

I'll always match the guitars, especially when playing metal. It pretty much streamlines the whole writing process, and also means you don't make things unnecessarily hard when pedalling on the D.
I'm pretty sure it's been said every time one of these threads come up, the point of more strings is economy of movement and lower notes, not so you can be lazy about tuning up and down.
I have:

I used to hate 5 stringers, just could not get comfortable with them, but been playing my mates more and more and I can see why people rave on about them, and my next bass will defo be a 5er, as I have no need for another 4 stringer...except maybe a crazy fretless one with a kahler tremelo....mmmmm insanity
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
I used to hate 5 stringers, just could not get comfortable with them, but been playing my mates more and more and I can see why people rave on about them, and my next bass will defo be a 5er, as I have no need for another 4 stringer...except maybe a crazy fretless one with a kahler tremelo....mmmmm insanity

Zon Hyperbass. way cooler.

it's more important than buying a house.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
My next two basses will hopefully a 4 string P bass and later on a 5 string jazz, I enjoy playing both.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Personally, for the things that I play, four is always plenty. I dont find the extra 5 notes useful; even in my playing with tons of shifts, Ive never can find a place where the extra B would really help; and I can never get a 5 set up a truly comfortable way.

Just one mans opinion. I play upright and electric on the same gigs a lot as well, and the switch is awkward between 4 and 5 strings
cool to hear what you guys think I have seen a few bands recently all with 5 strings and in drop d where the bassist very rarely plays anything but the b string and every time the sound of the band has been over powered by the bass and made them sound somewhat muddy I prefer the bass to be clear and punchy almost Steve Harris style and as well I flat out refuse to play anything drop d which just about every man and his dog are doing it all sounds the same bouncy but heavy my guitarist and I have luckily the same view about this. Dont hate because we dislike drop d with a passion
Page 1 of 2