Alright so today and yesterday my car's been overheating within like 15 minutes of driving, starts getting very close to the red, a lot of smoke coming out etc. It's got 300,000 miles but it's done this before (for like 6 months). This time though dumping a bunch of water didn't alleviate it (it just all boiled out).

Does this mean my car is ****ed or could there be something fixable that a mechanic could take care of? (obviously I'm going to go regardless I just want a general idea of whether I'm screwed or not)

It's a toyota so it's pretty damn tough.
DONT DRIVE

take it to get fixed

smoke coming out of the engine means you have a blown head gasket

also radiator flush and new coolant

edit: you could have excessive ring ridge in the combustion chambers which means it either has to be bored out or new engine if it cant be bored out
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Last edited by NGMF-Sam at Mar 21, 2009,
could be a lot of things...if you let it run with the rad cap off and you see bubbles its probably the head..which isnt cheap or it could be coolant...does your heat work?
Quote by NGMF-Sam
DONT DRIVE

take it to get fixed

smoke coming out of the engine means you have a blown head gasket

also radiator flush and new coolant

take it to a mechanic. it's possibly low on coolant (if not out) or maybe the thermostat is broken.

EDIT: it could be a lot of things. any of the things others have suggested, or better/ worse. but take it to a shop, and they'll probably know
Last edited by chicubswill at Mar 21, 2009,
well thats what im thinkin it has 300,000 miles it is most likely blown head gasket
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Look into the oil cap to see if the oil is milky looking, if so, it's a blown head gasket.
-Coolant getting into an oil passage from blown gasket.

Let the engine cool down, and then run it, and smell the exhaust. If it smells sweet, its a blown head gasket.
- Coolant getting into cylinders from blown gasket.

Check the coolant overflow reservoir, and if it bubbles, its a blown head gasket.
- Gases leaking into coolant passage from blown head gasket.

Let the engine cool to the point of being able to grasp the upper radiator hose (hose to engine), and open the radiator cap (make sure to keep a rag between your hand and the cap and crack it to relieve the pressure before removing it all the way) , then start the vehicle, look into the end cap and look for moving coolant, if it isn't flowing the water pump probably took a dump.
I'm not a n00b, I've been on here for over nine years.
Last edited by TwentyValve at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by music_mike
A blown head gasket will have white smoke coming out of the exhaust...

Not necessarily, it would only smoke if coolant leaked into the cylinders, and it isn't even a 100% guarantee that it will smoke. Coolant can still get into the oil passages, thin down the oil, and cause the engine to run hotter due to crappy lubrication.
I'm not a n00b, I've been on here for over nine years.
Last edited by TwentyValve at Mar 21, 2009,