I'm really in love with the tone of a good Les Paul. But I can't think of an electric guitar I hate playing more. They feel awkward and slow in my hands. My PRS on the other hand feels excellent, but I'm not wild about the sound it gets. Would it be slaughtering my PRS to put a set of Gibson pups in her?

I know it would not sound like a Les Paul, but I prefer that style of pickups to PRS ones.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 21, 2009,
There's a lot that could be going on besides pups.

You should be more specific about the sound you like from Les Pauls, and the sound you don't like from your PRS. A very small part of your sound comes from the pickups, and going from one guitar with humbuckers to another guitar with humbuckers should not produce such a huge disparity in sound to you. Granted, they are two separate guitars and because of that, there will be a difference, but the pickups aren't going to be the big reason for that.

Are you maybe trying this Les Paul out in a guitar store, through a different amp?
Quote by Sharck
There's a lot that could be going on besides pups.

You should be more specific about the sound you like from Les Pauls, and the sound you don't like from your PRS. A very small part of your sound comes from the pickups, and going from one guitar with humbuckers to another guitar with humbuckers should not produce such a huge disparity in sound to you. Granted, they are two separate guitars and because of that, there will be a difference, but the pickups aren't going to be the big reason for that.

Are you maybe trying this Les Paul out in a guitar store, through a different amp?

Nah, these are three of my friends, a studio, a vintage mahogany and a classic. All through my amp with my setttings and the like. I like the more...growling sound that Les Pauls have compared to the smooth bass and middy sound that my PRS has.

I mean the sound is very much the same, a humbucking guitar. But I still prefer the sound of all thee les pauls. I understand my PRS has a very nice sound, but it's not the sound I want. I hear how crisp and clear it is, but it's not....voiced? the way I like.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 21, 2009,
Maybe you prefer a set-neck tone over a bolt-on. Thats the only major difference I can truly tell between the guitars. Besides pickups of course.
Quote by Chickenparts
Maybe you prefer a set-neck tone over a bolt-on. Thats the only major difference I can truly tell between the guitars. Besides pickups of course.

That's possible, I've only played set neck PauL Reed Smith's once or twice.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712