I got a used 6505 head last year around november and about a month later I had to change the tubes (sometimes around mid decermber.) I retubed with a nice set of tubes from eurotubes and everything sounded good till about a month ago when my amp started doing the same thing it had done previously. It will start making these robotic noises when I try to play notes. I wasn't really that concerned about it at first cause it goes away if I whack the amp pretty hard on top (yeah that fixes everything right?) But I have shows coming up and I don't have time to stop playing and whack the amp.

What should I do? What could be wrong with it?

I really don't have money to get it retubed every 3 months. That's absolutely ridiculous. I always give it time on standby before playing.

Any input would be appreciated.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Sounds like there's something wrong with the amp, not the tubes.

Take it to a tech.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sounds like there's something wrong with the amp, not the tubes.

Take it to a tech.

That's what I'm assuming I'm going to end up doing but I'm wondering if there aren't any quick fixes that I could try.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the tubes since it got better right after I changed them. Maybe the seats aren't connecting properly or one of them is messed up some how.

Do you think running the amp with half the power tubes out could fix the problem?

Mind you; I'm not an amp expert by any means but I also don't have a large expendable income.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Yeah, it sounds like somthing might just be loose or the tubes are sitting in there right as it seems to go away when you wack it (lmao). I'd say either take it to a tech or beforehand, see if you know anybody with some amp experience to maybe have a gander at it. It might possibly be a simple fix, so it'd suck to have it at a tech for$ when a buddy might know somethiing more about it and could do it for free.

I know this is what I am doing with my Austin LP, as the EMGs are screwing up on me, which I think is a wiring issue. A guy I know with some skill at soldering is going to fix it up for me, for a few beers, whereas a tech would have cost me 50$. I know it sounds cheap, but I don't have alot of $ to throw around either.

My 2 cents anyways.
Anybody else have some ideas?

I'm going to try putting the amp on standby between each song during my bands run through of the set today to see if that prevents the problem. But any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Is your amp biased?
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
hmm, have you checked for microphonic tubes?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
No the amp doesn't require biasing on tube changes.

i have not actually checked for a micrphonic tube. Do you think a that could be the problem? don't you just tap the tubes with a pencil lightly to listen for weird noises?

I wouldn't see how after changing the tubes I would get a similar problem as before if it were just a micophonic tube though.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2