so i purchased EMG 81 and 60 to put in my Ibanez i followed the schematic precisely and when i plug my cord all the way in i get no sound, if i pull the cord half way out i get sound but neither my tone pot or my switch have any effect on the sound im getting. ive been staring and searching for hours to try and figure out why, ive changed my input jack and verified my wiring a thousand times and still nothing. the funny thing is i'm an electrician by trade and i cant figure this out. pleeeeeeeeease any help, i just want to jam my emg's and i cant.
thanks
hmmm turn the volume pot up, it might help

edit: I'm kidding
I'm FAT!
Last edited by tatatotfolife at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by TheShred201
Post a picture of the wiring for forum members to look at if you can.

Yup.

No one can help you unless you either

A: give a VERY detailed explanation on what you did.

or

B: Post pics of what you did.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

ok, first off i turned the volume pot up, of course. this is the wiring diagram i used
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/Mk239/EMGWiringDiagram.jpg
it is the same that comes with the pups. ive checked my cords' continuity and its fine. and again ive checked my wiring a thousand times, seriously and it matches exactly the schematic. i have top of the line soldering equipment and plenty of experience soldering. im scared to "experiment" with the wiring for fear of killling my EMG's. my ibanez came with a cheap cor-tech 3-way switch, i replaced it with a fender strat/tele 3-way switch to match the schematic. i dont think the switch is the problem though. i hope this is enough info. if not let me know, i just want to jam!!!
Did you switch the pots?

I think for emgs your supposed to use 25k, but idk if that would have a effect if you didnt.
yea i used the pots the EMG's came with, and i was told i needed to when i purchased the pups so i didnt hesitate to switch them.
thanks
Sorry for stating obvious, but did you also check to see if the quick connectors are connected properly?
yep sure did even took off my new set of strings just so i could pull out the pups and check that.
sometimes stating the obvious is the obvious solution, thanks.

oh and did i mention i sliced the tip of my pinky off cutting the shrink wrap off to verify my wiring. at this point i just want it to work, i wont be able to play for ****.
"my ibanez came with a cheap cor-tech 3-way switch, i replaced it with a fender strat/tele 3-way switch to match the schematic."

Wait, you replaced it with a 3-way switch?
In the schematic you linked it shows a 5-way switch.

Have you tried a different guitar into your amp?
Make sure your patch cable is also working fine.
Extremely unlikely possibilities, but who knows.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
did you put a battery in it? They require a 9V battery and most times when actives dont have a battery they dont make any noise what-so-ever... but then again, maybe you did. could be tons of mistakes that could of happend but we'll never know unless we have a pic
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
emg's rock i have and 81 on my rg and saving up for a 60. you should post some picks of your wiring so everyone can critique it. i followed all the instructions in the box and it worked.

maybe your volume pods are turned down or you didnt put in a

battery
Did you replave your output jack with a stereo one?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
can anyone who has a emg setup that works with 1 tone 1 vol and a 3-way switch post a pic of there wiring for me so i can compare. i wont be able to post pics of mine for a while and i cant stop thinking about this. i would greatly appreciate it...
did you replace your output jack with a stereo one?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 21, 2009,
ok so now im confused, i replaced my jack with the one that came with th pups. is it a stereo jack or a mono jack? if its stereo then i need a stereo cord which im probably using a mono cord. ive read that i need a mono and ive read that i need a stereo. please clarify this may be the solution. thanks
Your diagram shows a stereo, I think
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
It's a stereo jack - that's how it turns the preamp on and off.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

you need a stereo jack, since one of the lugs goes to the battery.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Astrozombie81
ok so now im confused, i replaced my jack with the one that came with th pups. is it a stereo jack or a mono jack? if its stereo then i need a stereo cord which im probably using a mono cord. ive read that i need a mono and ive read that i need a stereo. please clarify this may be the solution. thanks

Stereo jacks have three places for connecting wires. (lugs I think)

Monos have 2.

And actives and passives should work with the same cable.

Quote by TheShred201
Shouldn't be a problem--Standard instrument cables are mono chords, and I've used them with EMG's just fine...

me too.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by heretic-clown
did you put a battery in it? They require a 9V battery and most times when actives dont have a battery they dont make any noise what-so-ever... but then again, maybe you did. could be tons of mistakes that could of happend but we'll never know unless we have a pic

this?
On the pickup, there's the red wire, which goes to the battery. Then there's another wire, which contains both a "hot" connection, and a metal braid encasing the "hot". The metal braid goes to ground,

i found this on another thread, is this true?
yea i hooked the battery in.
the metal braid goes to ground and the white wire inside goes to the selector.
ok i have the hot wire connected to my volume pot like the schematic says but i dont have the braid connected to anything, i left the bridge ground off, were can i ground the the braid at?
the hot wire is white and should be connected to your selector since you said it's 1V/1T, right ? the braid should be soldered to the back of a pot.
i got it, holy hell!!! the braid goes to the pot casing and the center wire continues on to the switch, i soldered the center wire to the pot casing and left the braid disconnected. thats it for sure, thanks for all the help!!!