My parents had bought a Peavey SD-11P acoustic guitar back in '94 or so. Its a real nice guitar, but hasn't been taken care of. The Solid alpine spruce top is still lookin good, but the rosewood fretboard appears to be weathered. After cleaning all the fing-goo off the frets, the rosewood looks tretty dried out. Hasn't been played for a few years now. Ive never used anything on any of my electric guitars before, since I play them daily and oil with my fingers, but this rosewood fretboard needs something. I researched fretboard care, and found some like lemon oil, some like ev olive oil, some say never oil.
I just picked up this cutting board oil (Goddards's Butcher Block & Cutting Board Oil). It says it uses only 100% pure white mineral oil and is safe for contact with food, FDA approved, ideal for all natural wood surfaces, and won't turn rancid like vegetable oil. If I used it, I planned on applying a very minimal amount (couple drops). Has anyone used cutting board oil before, and do you think it'd be safe?
Last edited by Sick Man at Mar 21, 2009,
some guys use pure mineral oil on their fretboard.

if you search mineral oil and fretboard, you'll find that guys suggest it, along with dunlop synthetic lemon oil, or synthetic linseed oil.

i happen to have cutting board oil here, it's a bit vague on the bottle as far as just saying that it's "mineral" oil.
so you know, there might be impurities of some sort in there.

at least you know there wont be silicone.

anyhoo.
it's your gear, so your decision.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I went ahead and used a little , starting with the smaller frets, and seemed to soak in and clean of nicely. I used it on the rest of fretboard and did a great job. Made it look exactly how it was brand new. The main thing I didn't want was to apply something that stayed slippery and rubbed off on your fingers every time you played. Doesn't seem to be slippery, and seemed to absorb well.
Thanks for the input.
ok cool. keep in mind it's really just cosmetic. so moderation is key when conditioning any board.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011