http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/tr3nt/music/all/play320104

Me and my friend wanted to record an easy song with my new Mackie Onyx Satellite, I don't know how to use it very good at all as you might be able to tell.. Please listen and leave tips on recording! Thanks.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Any tips on recording? Sounds pretty lacking compared to lots of recordings people do, the demos that came with the interface sound pretty sick.. I don't really know what I'm doing so.

Oh we didn't do drums cause neither of us know how very well, and we haven't figured out how to put the midi tracks in there or anything yet.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Recording-wise... It sounds like you did the appregio part and then hit a stomp box? I would've just played clean... all the way through. THEN, recorded the distorted parts separate. Then played with the EQ after wards... Panning the clean and distorted guitars to your liking...

Again, I think the drums would've made it sound tighter.

Quote by JonasStevens
Recording-wise... It sounds like you did the appregio part and then hit a stomp box? I would've just played clean... all the way through. THEN, recorded the distorted parts separate. Then played with the EQ after wards... Panning the clean and distorted guitars to your liking...

Again, I think the drums would've made it sound tighter.

Ha yeah, the clean and overdriven guitar are separate tracks but I didn't know how to mix or 'master' it at all, thats pretty much all just recorded raw.

I did turn down the levels on the different tracks if thats the 'mixing', also added some reverb to the cleans. But thats about all I knew how to do.

On a second listening... [the harmonies are a nice touch.] Did you have your guitar mic'd or just direct input? I'm not entirely sure of what your interface is capable of.

Yeah, man, you're on the right track for sure. Listened to the great escape. The drums sound [SOUND] pretty nice. Need some practice playing but it's pretty good.

It's all on EQing and panning.

Once you can do that properly, you've got a good foundation.

With EQing... really listen. It's all on critical listening. What parts [hi - low - mid] sound best of your instrument and how do the fit in the track. You'll have to make room for the bass guitar... take the lows out and boost mids. But not too much, gotta leave room for the vocals.

[Common Bass Guitar EQing mistake.. boosting the lows... They can take some but your highs and mids on the bass is where you're going to get the best tone.]
Quote by JonasStevens
On a second listening... [the harmonies are a nice touch.] Did you have your guitar mic'd or just direct input? I'm not entirely sure of what your interface is capable of.

Yeah, man, you're on the right track for sure. Listened to the great escape. The drums sound [SOUND] pretty nice. Need some practice playing but it's pretty good.

It's all on EQing and panning.

Once you can do that properly, you've got a good foundation.

With EQing... really listen. It's all on critical listening. What parts [hi - low - mid] sound best of your instrument and how do the fit in the track. You'll have to make room for the bass guitar... take the lows out and boost mids. But not too much, gotta leave room for the vocals.

[Common Bass Guitar EQing mistake.. boosting the lows... They can take some but your highs and mids on the bass is where you're going to get the best tone.]

That Great Escape mix is from longg agoo lol, we just did the Blink Song tonight with my new interface.

Edit; I was using a Mackie Onyx Satellite recording my Mesa Boogie Roadster with a Shure SM57.

Last edited by tr3nt at Mar 21, 2009,
I'm proud of you for not doing it direct in... It just sounds so bad when people do that. Usually. Just mess with the EQ 'til you get what you want... I think something clean playing WITH the distorted guitar would sound cool... especially panned hard and far left/right
Whats an ideal panning, like what do i want to pan to what side?

For me... You want to pan everything a LITTLE. Think about as if you're looking at the group playing Where would everybody be? I usually keep the vocals dead center... and any harmonies off to the side just a tad... doesn't matter which. If I have a lead and two back ups.. naturally one to left the other to the right and the lead in the center. Guitars the same way. But trying not to get in the way of the vocals so slightly more to the side. [either or.] The bass, I usually keep center too.. it's more of a 'foundation' instrument.. I keep Bass, Kick drum in the center. Some people argue but it's how I do it. Snare either side you want. Maybe even record the main vocal part again. it can always add a little flavor. Just how I typically do it.
oh and guitar solos I typically pan hard to either side. It's just a little more attention grabbing when they come in.
Hmm.. I sent you a PM.

not terrible.
but I refuse to say anything else.

PUT THIS IN THE CORRECT FORUM!

then I will gladly give you a full response.

-Ryan
Well I contemplated putting it in the cover songs forum because I'm not asking for critique on my playing but recording tips.

Listening to others recordings mine sounds like not together and thin, how do I make it stand out more and the bass to come out in everything?

I guess it might help if I say what gear I use to record, then you guys could suggest different things to get the recordings of what I'm looking for.

I record with a Mackie Onyx Satellite Interface with a Shure SM 57. I record into Mackies program Tracktion 2 and then I just pretty much leave it, don't know what to do next. Is there any programs I need to master and mix it or to make it sound better? I was reading about needing a VST program, whats this?

Last edited by tr3nt at Mar 22, 2009,
ok then I'll help you out a bit.
- your going to want to mix levels of everything. this means you going to want to adjust volume, panning, EQ settings.
- Your going to more than likely want to add some effects such as reverb.
- general playing around with mic positioning can help alot.

-www.tweakheadz.com <read the guide, read everything.
might want to do some google searches on basic recording guides or what not.
also check out some dedicated forums.

If you have more specific questions let me know.

-Ryan