So, here's what's going on Pit. I was recently fired from my job and decided that I was going to pursue a music career full time...ya know...gigging all over and recording. Well, everyone is telling me that it's a stupid idea and that it's not going to get me anywhere. I'm doing my best to stay positive, but I've been hearing it from everyone I know. Pit, how do you deal with people telling you that you're not going to make anything of your music?
Quote by el-ECTRO
If your child can breathe, suspect drugs. Only people who breathe take drugs. People who cannot breathe still can, but it is increasingly difficult.
Well, you should probably find another job, and try to make it as a musician on the side... cause you aren't going to make it at all just from gigging.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
if u wanna make music than u can, as long as u have some talent some1 will like it, u may not be a succsesful as Metallica in the first week but i sugest u get a part time job and record and gig in your free time
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MY PECKER

fried rice

o0o you wanted to play full time do it if you can
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Well, you should probably find another job, and try to make it as a musician on the side... cause you aren't going to make it at all just from gigging.

Agreed. Do it in your spare time, even if you're only doing part-time work so you can have a steady income. If you're lucky and become established as a musician and could use the extra time, then quit working.
Quote by rocker_46788
So, here's what's going on Pit. I was recently fired from my job and decided that I was going to pursue a music career full time...ya know...gigging all over and recording. Well, everyone is telling me that it's a stupid idea and that it's not going to get me anywhere. I'm doing my best to stay positive, but I've been hearing it from everyone I know. Pit, how do you deal with people telling you that you're not going to make anything of your music?

You are obviously a novice if you have to ask that.

Get good first and learn your theory.

Get a job whilst you are doing this and maybe in the future if you get good there could be a chance but im giving you less than 1% chance of it happening, mainly on the fact that you sound completely new to it and clueless.
I say go for it, but it costs money so you need a job on the side. That's what I do, and I play about 3 shows a week with my band Adelaide. We're even going on a 3 week tour in May, but in order to finance all of it we've all had to maintain our jobs. It sucks but it's necessary until we are able to completely sustain ourselves with music.
Quote by afortuneinlies
I say go for it, but it costs money so you need a job on the side. That's what I do, and I play about 3 shows a week with my band Adelaide. We're even going on a 3 week tour in May, but in order to finance all of it we've all had to maintain our jobs. It sucks but it's necessary until we are able to completely sustain ourselves with music.

Are you coming to Brisbane at all in that tour?
For the record, I am looking for a part-time job on the side. Also for the record, I have thought about this for a few years and I'm not a noob. I mean, I'm not great but I've been told good things from Promoters and producers...just wanted the Pit's outlook on the scenario.
Quote by el-ECTRO
If your child can breathe, suspect drugs. Only people who breathe take drugs. People who cannot breathe still can, but it is increasingly difficult.
you speak of touring and recording as if all it takes is an application to fill out, 5 dollars, and 4 box tops. its not easy, its super competitive. jumping into it full time could ruin you, especially if you need the money, i suggest starting off slow, and working your way up. you don't become the boss in one week.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by MyDesertRose
Are you coming to Brisbane at all in that tour?

ha. no. We're American. Tennessee to be exact. It's a Christian Deathcore band. Adelaide being known as the city of churches but with it's high death rate being nicknamed the city of corpses, we figured that it very aptly described the genre and band, hence your confusion.

long story short, no, we're not leaving America.

..yet!
Quote by rocker_46788
For the record, I am looking for a part-time job on the side. Also for the record, I have thought about this for a few years and I'm not a noob. I mean, I'm not great but I've been told good things from Promoters and producers...just wanted the Pit's outlook on the scenario.

I gave you my outlook,
If you really have to ask about it, it means that you are unconfident and a novice.

Hey but wasn't Eric Johnson, Steve Vai and such a novice once?

The difference is instead of posting on forums, even though they didnt have them back in the day, they actually put things into action and got things done.

Besides the pit isn't a bunch of music pros so you are asking in the wrong area.

I hope you can take some criticism, ultimately you might make it you are just a novice is all.
Have a legit job. Touring sucks. You have no money. You're car sucks. Sure music is fun, but not when you have nothing. Have a job, pursue music second.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter