Just wanted to share my latest acquisition on eBay! I'd been looking for a 60's/70's Japanese guitar for a while now and came up on this Kent within minutes of its auction closing. Snagged it for CHEAP ($120). All electronics are said to be in working order and the neck is stated to be buzz/dead fret free. I'm psyched although I know VERY little about Kents. Was hoping someone could share some info with me if they know anything. Are they from the Teisco/Kay/Harmony/Kawai family? Blah, blah, blah on with the pics from the auction:

Looks like a volume and tone for each pickup and a pickup selector switch. Wonder what that additional little black switch does?

These pics are all from the auction. I'll take some new ones and probably post a video review when I get it (Tuesday). Thanks for looking!
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Looks awesome!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Thanks for the honest comments! Deep down I want a 60s Jaguar and my modded Jagmaster with it's coiltapping and modded pickups ALMOST fits the bill but the yearning for a REAL vintage axe was still there. I'm really psyched to own my first vintage guitar. All these years of playing and this'll be the first one.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
yep im jealous, that thing its perddy sexy. looks to be in fantastic condition too it being vintage and all, how much do they usually run for?
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by Black Label93
yep im jealous, that thing its perddy sexy. looks to be in fantastic condition too it being vintage and all, how much do they usually run for?

That's what I'm wondering as well?! I'm not into selling guitars but I like to at least know their value. Most mint condition Teiscos bring in $300-$400. I don't know if Kays just aren't as valuable or if I got the deal of the century, haha.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
That's what I'm wondering as well?! I'm not into selling guitars but I like to at least know their value. Most mint condition Teiscos bring in $300-$400. I don't know if Kays just aren't as valuable or if I got the deal of the century, haha.

oh and i see your gear in your sig, but no Kent!
My Gear:
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by Black Label93
oh and i see your gear in your sig, but no Kent!

I just wanna make sure it doesn't show up in 5 pieces, haha. THEN it'll be added
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
I just wanna make sure it doesn't show up in 5 pieces, haha. THEN it'll be added

My Gear:
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
GOT IT!

Hanging out with it's younger brother, haha:

Seems really cool. Not as small as I was worried it would be (with only 20 frets). Not ALL the electronics seem to work. That or I'm an idiot and can't figure them out. First string change I'll be getting there and checking everything out to do it proper. Thanks for looking and feel free to drop some feedback. If I make a video of it tonight I'll post it up here as well.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
that little switch is a low-pass filter, sort of a rhythm/lead switch. I've got one on my kent/teisco whatever it is, and it's the most useless switch I've ever heard, just makes the guitar sound muffled.

As far as the guitar itself goes, $120 seems about average for most non-teisco 60's japanese guitars.

what in the electronics doesn't work, though?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
that little switch is a low-pass filter, sort of a rhythm/lead switch. I've got one on my kent/teisco whatever it is, and it's the most useless switch I've ever heard, just makes the guitar sound muffled.

As far as the guitar itself goes, $120 seems about average for most non-teisco 60's japanese guitars.

what in the electronics doesn't work, though?

Thanks for the info! The bottom set of volume and tone knobs don't seem to do anything. Nor does the low pass filter switch. It MIGHT just be really subtle but I don't notice much difference. Also the pickup selector switches are a little flaky. I'm not positive but even with both in the "off" position they are still functional. I think a good look over of the internals will do me a world of good. I was trying to find a wiring diagram for these models but it's hard to find ANY info on them. If anyone has any good links, feel free to shoot them my way
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
Thanks for the info! The bottom set of volume and tone knobs don't seem to do anything. Nor does the low pass filter switch. It MIGHT just be really subtle but I don't notice much difference. Also the pickup selector switches are a little flaky. I'm not positive but even with both in the "off" position they are still functional. I think a good look over of the internals will do me a world of good. I was trying to find a wiring diagram for these models but it's hard to find ANY info on them. If anyone has any good links, feel free to shoot them my way

those rocker switches are going to be HARD to find replacements for. Try using some tuner cleaner/lube to clean 'em up. I can't remember the brand that people using recomend... something like "deoxo" or something, but I just used the "radioshack" brand to clean 'em up and it worked pretty well. My neck pickup rocker is a little flakey, but the tuner cleaner got all the pots and the filter switch to work no problem. When you get the pickguard off, just check for any loose/cold solder joints and touch up as necessary. It could be that the rocker switches and filter switch stopped functioning, so the previous owner just cut 'em out.

edit: it looks like your is actually a solid wood body, that's a bit of a rarity in those old japanese guitars, kudos on a great score.

If you any other questions, feel free to ask, I can probably help you out with them.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
those rocker switches are going to be HARD to find replacements for. Try using some tuner cleaner/lube to clean 'em up. I can't remember the brand that people using recomend... something like "deoxo" or something, but I just used the "radioshack" brand to clean 'em up and it worked pretty well. My neck pickup rocker is a little flakey, but the tuner cleaner got all the pots and the filter switch to work no problem. When you get the pickguard off, just check for any loose/cold solder joints and touch up as necessary. It could be that the rocker switches and filter switch stopped functioning, so the previous owner just cut 'em out.

edit: it looks like your is actually a solid wood body, that's a bit of a rarity in those old japanese guitars, kudos on a great score.

If you any other questions, feel free to ask, I can probably help you out with them.

Thanks for all the great advice! I really appreciate it. I've got some Radioshack contact cleaner/lubricant laying around anyways so I might go ahead and clean the pots since they're easy to access without removing strings. I'll let you know how it works
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Managed to get the pickguard off without removing the strings, haha. Well it looks like a couple of solder grounds are just tied together instead of properly connected. Going to resolder those and I cleaned all the electronic switches with contact cleaner. I'll let you know my results when I get it back together.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Well I've got everything working with the exception of the bridge's tone and volume knobs rolling backwards to turn up. If that makes any sense? I have to turn them to the right to turn the volume/tone up. What did I wire backwards? haha
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
Well I've got everything working with the exception of the bridge's tone and volume knobs rolling backwards to turn up. If that makes any sense? I have to turn them to the right to turn the volume/tone up. What did I wire backwards? haha

I think you swapped lugs 1 and 3 in order to achieve that. Awkward... I'm confused just thinking of that....

Glad it all worked out, how's it sound?
Quote by Thomme
I think you swapped lugs 1 and 3 in order to achieve that. Awkward... I'm confused just thinking of that....

Glad it all worked out, how's it sound?

It actually sounds really good! I'll have to mess with it another time and get things straightened out. I'll need new pots for it eventually (although I'll save the originals for vintage sake) so I'll probably just do it then. I'm just happy everything else works . I'll take a video tonight.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Ah, excellent catch there. I'm a real fan of these retro Japanese models, got a real charm to them.

Any chance of that video?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Ah, excellent catch there. I'm a real fan of these retro Japanese models, got a real charm to them.

Any chance of that video?

I've got it in pieces again, haha. Really want to get the wiring right before the vid. Shouldn't take TOO long. I definitely want to get a vid up tonight since there are NONE on Youtube. Poor underdog, Kent, haha.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Alright, actually I'm pretty stumped and need some help getting this thing wired up. I've included some pics. I had it working earlier but only seemed to have a volume control and nothing else. Here are the pics of the setup. If someone could either draw on the pics where things need to go or make a diagram ( a lot to ask but It'd help me a TON) I'd appreciate it.

I think everything is good in pics 1,2. It's in 3,4 that I'm lost. Please help me out!!
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
honestly... so am I... it appears that those bottom two pots are wired backwards, so when they're full open, they're sending signal to ground and vice versa... but... I can't tell, I'm confounded by it... and only the bridge pickup appears to be wired to tone...

wait, no, it looks all wired ok... except for the neck volume going to the bridge... wait... I'm lost again... I'd probably just rewire the whole tone/volume assembly with the existing pots and caps/resistors if I were you, as long as the pots still work ok. I can understand what's going on, but not why.

edit: it should look like the four pots on here:

also, I'd probably scrap those resistors/caps between the volume and the output to help open up the sound a little bit, but I'm not sure how those pups sound.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
honestly... so am I... it appears that those bottom two pots are wired backwards, so when they're full open, they're sending signal to ground and vice versa... but... I can't tell, I'm confounded by it... and only the bridge pickup appears to be wired to tone...

wait, no, it looks all wired ok... except for the neck volume going to the bridge... wait... I'm lost again... I'd probably just rewire the whole tone/volume assembly with the existing pots and caps/resistors if I were you, as long as the pots still work ok. I can understand what's going on, but not why.

Haha, well thanks for giving it a go. But here's where I'm stumped. What are the red and white wires coming off the tone cut? Are those leads for the neck and bridge pickup? Once I figure out what those are I've got a diagram for a 2 tone, 2 volume guitar. Thanks again!
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Alright, I removed ALL the wiring from the tone cut forward leaving me with just the pots and the input jack to wire up. The problem with the diagrams I'm finding is that they have wiring running to the 3 way toggle (which I don't have). Anyone want to guide me through this with no wiring attached?
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
Alright, I removed ALL the wiring from the tone cut forward leaving me with just the pots and the input jack to wire up. The problem with the diagrams I'm finding is that they have wiring running to the 3 way toggle (which I don't have). Anyone want to guide me through this with no wiring attached?

just ignore the 3-way switch in the SD diagram. coming from the tone-cute circuit, your neck pickup is the white and your bridge is the orange. There's no ground running there because the shielding under your pickguard acts as your ground, so, don't worry 'bout that.
edit: by "just ignore the 3-way switch" I meant wire the hots from the volumes pots straight to the jack.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
just ignore the 3-way switch in the SD diagram. coming from the tone-cute circuit, your neck pickup is the white and your bridge is the orange. There's no ground running there because the shielding under your pickguard acts as your ground, so, don't worry 'bout that.
edit: by "just ignore the 3-way switch" I meant wire the hots from the volumes pots straight to the jack.

Hmmm, well I got it working again. The tone controls are still backwards though, haha. I can live with it for now. It really does need new pots anyways since they're pretty much off or on. I'll probably look into it further at that point. Thanks again for all your help.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Vid is uploading as I type. I'll have the link up in a few
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
yeah, I really looked at it, your tone pots are indeed wired backwards. switch lugs 1 and 3 on your tone pots and you should be good.

edit: watched the video and I have to say that that thing sounds nice and spanky. I like it.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']nice ****, but can it play t3h br00t4lz!?!?!?!?!eleven!!1

Good guitar man.

HAHA! It gets to about the point of vintage rock/brit rock but that's it. I've got other guitars to cover me in that category :P Thanks, though! Appreciate it.

yeah, I really looked at it, your tone pots are indeed wired backwards. switch lugs 1 and 3 on your tone pots and you should be good.

edit: watched the video and I have to say that that thing sounds nice and spanky. I like it.

So just remove those little caps and swap them to the opposite posts? And thanks for the props, I like it too

EDIT: Yep, that seemed to be it. They work correctly now. The pots are definitely shot though. It's either all or nothing. You can get such a SUPER thin tone by rolling off the tone and then hitting the tone cut, haha. I'll have to make a "crunchy" video tonight and show how it handles some gain.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Mar 25, 2009,