I was reading the thread about how if you play a certain bands songs, your original music may began to sound alot like theres. Then I got to thinking about how when I first started playing I played nothing but 80s type metal tons of metallica, iron maiden, some megadeth, ozzy etc. As my skills improved I began playing alot of new things like some slipknot, lamb of god, and other bands in that category. Mainly because I though it was fast and at the time was trying to build speed on scales, but what I wanted to get to is how much of a different feeling comes which each type. What do you guys get out of the two? When I'm playing alot of 80's type metal it gives you a kinda emotional type feeling, and then stuff like Lamb of God is just undescribable to me I guess maybe its more of a rush type feeling like a race or something, but 80's metal has alot of this also.
If I understood your post correctly, then here's my opinion on the matter:

People need to get over the fact that playing fast does not immediately mean no emotion. Metal is emotional music. There's a reason as to why people create and listen to such heavy and brutal music, and it's because it conveys an emotion which less extreme genres cannot.

Listening to hard rock and heavy metal gets me "pumped" and makes me feel more energetic and confident. I'd say that modern metal conveys more direct and agressive, whereas classic metal might also convey a certain nostalgia. I wasn't born in the 80's, but I feel some sort of link with the past when I listen to 80's metal. Plus, 80's metal wasn't always angry, so naturally the songs cover a different spectrum of emotions than today's metal.

Is that relevant, or am I just rambling on about soemthing I don't understand?
Not sure if I understand your post. You mean that if you listen to a song, you... play it?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
dude i totaly know what u mean aye. when i listen to neurosis i dive into another world that is only known by me. im inspired to create, to appricate and to just embrace life. to realise that we are all human and finally to try my best to connect with people and have a initmate relationship with all of my friends and family. so yeah, i know exactly what u mean
The music I make couldn't be further from the music I started playing and listen to. For example I started off like you playing Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth however the music I make is a lot slower more melodic (melancholy) think Akira Yamaoka.

I know what you are getting at though, there are a lot of different feeling I associate with dofferent songs. Very rarely will I feel these same things when writting a piece of music myself, I think because i'm thinking too much about the structure of the song rather than what it sounds like to me. I'm going to try and change that.

But yeah 80's metal solos are the pinicle of 'feeling' in solos for me, and other more accoustic modern music is a bit more thought provoking for me.
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by BKGMorley
dude i totaly know what u mean aye. when i listen to neurosis i dive into another world that is only known by me. im inspired to create, to appricate and to just embrace life. to realise that we are all human and finally to try my best to connect with people and have a initmate relationship with all of my friends and family. so yeah, i know exactly what u mean

I feel you when you say a world only known by you. I couldn't began to say the way I think, but im going to anyway lol. Beginning of my first post is just what gave me the idea about the feeling that comes from the two genres. Sry for the badly put together paragraph.

I'll go ahead and give you guys some of the thoughts that went through my mind when I started listening to Death Metal 1.5 years ago. May had something to do with smoking pot and eating some shrooms and living with my grandparents which are very religious. Anyway I began to understand the screaming growling vocals in morbid angel songs and other Death/Doom songs with the help of lyrics and once I could hear them my mind wandered into thinking about angels at war and demons and what not. Maybe thats what the lyrics are about I can't remember any to compare it to. Then even more bizarre I though what if I were listening in on an argument between God and Satan and they just use this real powerfull voice like its on another sound frequency out of this world. Its hard to explain but after talking about it I need to go listen to some more because when you can hear what there saying its definantly is a trip.

What ticks me off is when my dad or mom hears it they will say something like why are you listening to this trash and alot of other people, but they couldn't tell me what one word says in the entire song. I've tried to tell them if you listen to the words and make out what they are saying it makes more since.