Hello all!

I'm a Dutch guitar player. In may I'll be visiting the US of A. My visit will be for three weeks and one week will be in New York.

The prices in the US of A are relativly cheap for me. My plan is to purchase a guitar in New York and taking it back to Holland. Keeping the import costs in mind, the maximum I can spend is $500.

Here is where you guys come in. I'm looking for a guitar (preferably a Les Paul) which produces a warm sound, but also knows how to rock. Do you guys have any tips? I've had my eyes on this guitar: http://www.rondomusic.com/al2800custom.html, but since I'll not be near Claremont this cannot be. However, I don't know where I could find a similar guitar (that colour is great by the way!! ).

Could you guys give me some links/adresses where to look? Thanks a million,

Robbin
Take a cheapo guitar with you in its case, book it with the airline. After you've bought a new one swap them over in the case and avoid the import costs.
Or take the case like Free suggested but minus the guitar? Fill it with something less expendable if weight is an issue.
Quote by morgmal
Or take the case like Free suggested but minus the guitar? Fill it with something less expendable if weight is an issue.

Kill Dani Flith and shove his body in the case. I'm sure they won't notice if it's done within the first few hours. And not too many people will care, except for poser goth kids who want to be pretend satanists.
Quote by morgmal

Doesn't work like that.

Customs check you after baggage claim and they don't care how many bags you had listed when you checked in for your first flight.

If they check you and see the guitar, you'll have to produce a receipt.

A few things that might help though:

-if you buy a guitar that comes with a hardcase, ask the salesman to put it on the receipt as a separate item (if he's kind enough, there's a chance he'll do it). This helps because the case (when listed for around $70-100) is cheap enough to fall under the limit of what you can import without having to pay tax. This'll save you the national VAT and import duties over the price of the case.

-take it with you as cabbin luggage, but at baggage claim, stick it in a much larger bag. I once took a guitar through customs which I had put in a sort of duffle bag along with a backpack.

By the way, in case someone suggests it, I wouldn't bother with the old "putting stickers on the case trick". Some people do this to convince customs it's an older guitar, but they're not complete idiots.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 21, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Kill Dani Flith and shove his body in the case. I'm sure they won't notice if it's done within the first few hours. And not too many people will care, except for poser goth kids who want to be pretend satanists.
Sorry dude, but only people that worry about things they don't like are posers, or something like that.
Quote by lalrs
Hello all!

I'm a Dutch guitar player. In may I'll be visiting the US of A. My visit will be for three weeks and one week will be in New York.

The prices in the US of A are relativly cheap for me. My plan is to purchase a guitar in New York and taking it back to Holland. Keeping the import costs in mind, the maximum I can spend is $500.

Here is where you guys come in. I'm looking for a guitar (preferably a Les Paul) which produces a warm sound, but also knows how to rock. Do you guys have any tips? I've had my eyes on this guitar: http://www.rondomusic.com/al2800custom.html, but since I'll not be near Claremont this cannot be. However, I don't know where I could find a similar guitar (that colour is great by the way!! ).

Could you guys give me some links/adresses where to look? Thanks a million,

Robbin

talk to Rondo. have the guitar delivered to the place you expect to be in the week you expect to be there.

if not, it really matters where in ny you're going.

if you mean NYC then you'll find the most guitar spots around W48th, musicans row.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Kill Dani Flith and shove his body in the case. I'm sure they won't notice if it's done within the first few hours. And not too many people will care, except for poser goth kids who want to be pretend satanists.

so how long before you're banned this time?
keep it up. it'll be about a week.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
talk to Rondo. have the guitar delivered to the place you expect to be in the week you expect to be there.

if not, it really matters where in ny you're going.

if you mean NYC then you'll find the most guitar spots around W48th, musicans row.

i still haven't get the chance to visit that spot and i go to school in the city...
I recommend having Rondo ship an Agile to where ever you're staying in NY. Agiles are among the best guitars I've ever played under $500.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Sorry dude, but only people that worry about things they don't like are posers, or something like that.

Or something I just happen to not like him. He reminds me too much of the guys from The Cure.

Quote by jj1565
so how long before you're banned this time?
keep it up. it'll be about a week.

Something about your overly compensated snarkiness REALLY turns me on. I just can't quite put a finger on what it might be
You must go to the great great house of guitars in Rochester one of the largest music stores in the world its been there for ages got a great vibe and everybody knows what there talking about
Pics:

Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at Mar 21, 2009,
Thanks all, for your replies.

Quote by Vlasco
I recommend having Rondo ship an Agile to where ever you're staying in NY. Agiles are among the best guitars I've ever played under $500.

The thing is, when I try to phone Rondo, they don't pick up. Since it is not a set of picks I'm buying, I want to make sure everything will be allright. So my question basicly is; how trust-worthy is Rondo Music? Do any of you have experience with them?

@ jj1565, I do mean NYC, my apologies.

That great house of guitars looks cool, I'll make sure to check that out!
Try to look for Japanese guitars too like Tokai, Edwards, anyways try to find that Agile the finish is beautiful .
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I would suggest that guitar, just make sure you know EXACTLY where you're staying, because u cant buy any of those in a store.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
well rondomusic makes great guitars for such a cheap price and iam pretty sure they can ship it to you in new york in time. then again shipping is always give or take a few days. i live in new york and i've been trying to get rid of a guitar anyway for a while it's a les paul i brought in japan a few years back. looks alot like the black beauty. so get back to me if you are interested in that.
Quote by ticklemeasian
well rondomusic makes great guitars for such a cheap price and iam pretty sure they can ship it to you in new york in time. then again shipping is always give or take a few days. i live in new york and i've been trying to get rid of a guitar anyway for a while it's a les paul i brought in japan a few years back. looks alot like the black beauty. so get back to me if you are interested in that.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest a Dean Razorback this time around
lmao well iam not a razorback fan boy iam just trying to help out whoever needs what. and since i've been trying to get rid of my les paul so i can save up for a jsx head i might as well ask the guy since he wants one.
I'm actually looking for something new, I'm sorry. However, since it is not a set of picks I'm buying, I want to make sure everything will be allright. So my question basicly is; how trust-worthy is Rondo Music? Do any of you have experience with them?
Quote by lalrs
I'm actually looking for something new, I'm sorry. However, since it is not a set of picks I'm buying, I want to make sure everything will be allright. So my question basicly is; how trust-worthy is Rondo Music? Do any of you have experience with them?

one of my friends actually prefers his Agile LP vs his American Standard Strat, and he paid twice as much for the strat.
I've had tons of experiences with Rondo, all of them great. I used to own 6 bass guitars. I've narrowed my group down to 2, my Rickenbacker and my Brice. The Brice I bought from Rondo and it has a wonderful feel and sound. I sold far more expensive basses but decided to keep the Brice, it just is really that nice.