Hello, I'm a aspiring bass player, and I'm going to try to mix the elements and sounds of Latin rock and Psychedelia.

I was wondering how many strings would be better
4, 5 or 6 stringed bass?
Whatever is more comfortable to you.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
4, no doubt.
I don't know anyone who has starting learning bass on anything other than a 4 string.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
IMO 4, but thats because it is the one i have used for the majority of my time playing bass and feel more comfortable although having the extra string(s) can be quite useful
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
man. its kinda all the same...the more strings u have just means u have to make sure they dont get in the way of your playing. ie playing 4 string songs on 5 strings etc
however, more strings=more options...if you want a 5 string in the future or a 6 string..then just get one now if u can afford it...but thats just me
For your fusion of styles, I would choose a five string, however 4 strings are easier to learn on.
Listen to my band - www.myspace.com/theacidiks
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
Quote by FFTLxx
4, no doubt.
I don't know anyone who has starting learning bass on anything other than a 4 string.

I started playing bass on a 6-string.
------------------
Whatever you like. I do not see in any way how more strings makes it "confusing". "Oh, he might get confused on tabs as to which string to play." If you are competent in anyway, you shouldn't have that kind of issue; however, you could have an issue with necks. I suggest whatever is comfortable.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I think that a 5-string might be more daunting to learn, but it won't really make a difference, because it's just one more string.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
I don't think it really matter how many strings you learn on. It is your first bass however, so I'd look at prices. 4 strings are generally less expensive so I would go with a 4 string to save money specially if you find you don't like playing bass. I don't know why you wouldn't though.
Last edited by Greenday389 at Mar 21, 2009,
If you're starting out, then you don't have this perceived "extra difficulty" with more strings that exisating players seem to have. It really isn't a big deal what you start out on. If you've had no experience with a 4 string, how is it going to make a 5 string more difficult? Hint: It doesn't. Go out and try some different stringed basses.
exactly what delirium said. i started out on a 5 string. I moved to a 4 string later and found it easier to play. later on I realized that it was only because the neck felt so much better than my beginner bass. make sure to try different brands of different stringed basses too. different brands will have totally different necks.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I would definatly go with 5 if your somewhat familiar with guitar and bass. It only increases possibilities and if you master 5 then youve mastered 4 as well.

however if you have never picked up a bass or a guitar in your life, or you just plain suck, then go with the 4
Quote by KasanDude
I think that a 5-string might be more daunting to learn, but it won't really make a difference, because it's just one more string.

besides that 5th string just becomes something to rest your thumb on anyway:P well...it is a bit like resting it on a bouncy string but it works.