I've been playing the guitar for a couple of years, mostly trying to imitate sounds off records that I have. Having taught myself to play, I can say my playing is sketchy at the best. I can play tunes like While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Shine on You Crazy diamond, but mostly cuz they're slow and easy to pick up by ear. But when it comes to some faster solo's, I'm clueless

What I want to know is what do I need to learn next to improve my technique? How do I just 'play' any random tune? I watch others play and they just seem to know just where to finger the fretboard and make up random things on the spot. Do i need to music scales? What else should I learn to improve my technique.

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers
If you can make up a progression using barre chords or something, then just use those notes to make up some little licks or something.

from what i know, when your using G E and A, i tend to use the 12th fret pentatonic to solo, use a bit of the blues scale, and use the first position pentatonic too..and i guess its mostly in Em.

Lol, i think i need to work on my theory a bit more, thanks for reminding me
Quote by steeLmonkeyz
...make up a progression using barre chords or something, then just use those notes to make up some little licks....

...use the 12th fret pentatonic to solo, use a bit of the blues scale, and use the first position pentatonic too....

That's exactly what I've been talking about! I don't know how to do any of that stuff?? How do I learn?
Learn the 1st position of the minor pentatonic scale, download or make your own blues progression backing track, and noodle away (in whatever key the backing track is)

Edit: blues progression is I, IV, V - so if you're in A it's A, D & E. If you use power chords you don't have to worry about maj/minor either, as there's no thirds involved
Last edited by zhilla at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by adityasen
That's exactly what I've been talking about! I don't know how to do any of that stuff?? How do I learn?

That's the theory. You need to start like the ^^ said, and learn the pentatonic scale. this will give you some insight into theory and how it works. Id really suggest just using the lessons on this site. Start with the beginner theory ones, and just try to understand it as you read through..

Have you tried useing the chords/licks from songs you already know and mixing them up a bit? Change the chords around, give it a different sound, and use the notes that they play. pay attention to the position they play in aswell. And how that relates to the notes around it.
All these years hunting for tabs on UG and I never realized there was a 'lessons' section. Thanks for that!