just listen. you can hear it. if you hear it, it will come.

but honestly, just pay attention
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
The best way to get used to the low frequencies and hear them better is playing bass... Or you can just tune the eq to those frequencies.
I have no idea if it'll help your guitar skills, but if you're having trouble picking bass out, try listening to Obscura.
Bass is the main instrument really...
Or Cynic, bass is almost always quite loud.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
listen to tool.....the guitar follows the bass for them
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
sometimes the music is split where bass is more on the right or left channel. just use headphones and use one earbud.
I hear bass in all kinds of metal Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Testament, Callibal Corpse, Metallica. I also play bass i guess it helps to know what to listen for if you play the instrument. Yeah im sure it will help your guitar playing with bandmates, making stuff, improvising or whatever
Yeah
Sometimes bass is right there, but it's not really noticeable
One way maybe is using a cd player like mine that has bass boost as an option
I'll be listening to Dethklok with it on
And the second I turn it off, there is a MASSIVE difference in the sound
Half of the heavy feel of the music is gone
But when it's just normally there you don't even realize that's what it is
It simply blends in to the sound to create a feel that you don't specifically notice
That's what a lot of metal is like I think

Edit: Hahaha, yeah, listening to ...And Justice For All is not a good idea if you're trying to hear the bass :P
Quote by 7stringuzr
I hear bass in all kinds of metal Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Testament, Callibal Corpse, Metallica. I also play bass i guess it helps to know what to listen for if you play the instrument. Yeah im sure it will help your guitar playing with bandmates, making stuff, improvising or whatever

What kind of Corpse?

Anyway, most metal follows the guitar/drums, and is drowned out. If you listen to some prog/tech metal you will be able to pick it out easy most of the time.
Dont always look for bass in the lows/subs cause your more often than not going to find the double bass ruling over that area because its more popular to metal fans ... or maybe just the producer.

You'll probably find more of the bass players signal in the low and high mids ... of course this will only ever happen if he/she has decided not to play with their EQ set on high bass/treble and cut mids.

The rumor about if you play bass yourself you'll be able to recognize it better should be completely true as my awareness of bass lines in metal has sky rocketed since I started playing about a year ago.

If you try and look for the bass parts in prog and even a large section of tech death you'll probably have a better chance of finding it, sometimes though you can just go out and looks for bands that purposely depend on a big section of their sound/heavyness with the bass player which is always nice. More often that not though you'll find guitar dominated bands that just have the bass player there all playing root notes.

Speakers do play a big part imo, ipod headphones pretty much murder your chances ... i use studio headphones usually or just a decent sound system. Also, if the track your listening to is in mpeg layer 3 whenever it was converted to that format the process cuts out the parts of a track that take the most space and energy to produce (the bass) in favor of compact size, so it kinda ****s you over.

Wow, anyway tl:dr ... your knowledge of what a bass player's position in a band context will probably help you to create a better playing situation for everyone but I dont know about that making you a more proficient player ... maybe just a better musician. Maybe you'll discover that you like the sound bass guitars make and in time allow bass player you jam with to do nice fills and whatnot instead of just roots.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I sometimes have the same problem. You can hear the bass in most of Motley Crue's songs. Or you could listen to Another One Bites The Dust by Queen, you can really hear the bass. The intro is all bass. I think it does help to play bass. Since I started playing bass I picked up on the bass lines, or you could also do the EQ thing, earlier said.
I don't know if someone has said this, but maybe it's what you're listening with. Most standard computer speakers cut out bass, and regular Apple iPod headphones suck at bringing out the bass. You can hear bass fairly decently through SkullCandy's. I have a pair of headphones that came with my keyboard that aboslutely rock. They give great sound quality and I can hear bass extremely well. AP Audio APH-S350 is what it says on them.