I've had my Randall for a little while now and I still can't get the distortion to sound the way I want it without using my pedal through the clean channel. I've been told that I shouldn't need a pedal with this amp but I always find myself using it. I've decided to change up the tubes. My questions are, should I change all the tubes, just the preamps, or just the power tubes? What tubes would be recommended for high gain? Is it difficult to change the tubes? Thanks
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
Quote by MegaD
I've had my Randall for a little while now and I still can't get the distortion to sound the way I want it without using my pedal through the clean channel. I've been told that I shouldn't need a pedal with this amp but I always find myself using it. I've decided to change up the tubes. My questions are, should I change all the tubes, just the preamps, or just the power tubes? What tubes would be recommended for high gain? Is it difficult to change the tubes? Thanks

How long have the tubes you've had been in it? power amp tubes need changing about every year-depending on how much you play. Usually preamp tubes take a lot longer to go out than power amp tubes, but preamp tubes affect your tone a little more.

Changing tubes isn't too difficult. You should be able to do it yourself...I would google how to do it just to be safe.

I'm not too much of an expert on tubes-but I personally like JJs.
Last edited by anulty09 at Mar 21, 2009,
It is brand new so I'm assuming that it wasn't used prior to me getting it. Who knows, maybe the tone that I'm currently getting from the gain channel is all that it has. I just don't know how to determine if one of the tubes is faulty and I don't want to lug it down to my local GC.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
I don't know how that amp is set up but you should be able to take the back off while it's on and look at the tubes-if they're working correctly they'll be lit up.
I had a similar problem. Couldn't get enough break up from my tubes so i got some JJ's to go in as my power tubes and Tung-sols for my pre amp. I get a lot more distortion now, nothing compared to the high gain you'll get from a pedal, but nice tube distortion. Best idea is to just buy a well known brand and if you don't like them change them out when they get old. Repeat until you find out what works.

Also, stock tubes tend to suck a lot. Usually they are like Sovteks or Groove Tubes. If that is the case you will notice a difference by putting in some higher end tubes.
Last edited by wjhender at Mar 21, 2009,