ok I have a vox ac30cc2, and am wanting something a little more high gain. how does the vox ac50cp2 compare? is it any more versatile? does it have good cleans? how is the overdrive?

I am planing on maybe buying it and seeing if I like it better than my vox ac30cc2, and if I do I would try to sell the ac30cc2. or I could buy an overdrive pedal, specifically the hardwire cm-2...do you think that could push my vox into higher gain?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The AC50 is supposed to have more gain.

I'd recommend a Fulltone OCD as both a boost pedal, and as an OD.
anyone that played this amp know how much more gain it has? I heard its very marshally.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
it has more gain and all but it sounds awfull in my opinion.

Vox really screwed up with this amp, the tone is lacking alot.

I would just stick with the AC30 you have and stick an OD infront of it.

It has a tad more hair of gain but like i said the tone is lacking, it sounded like a SS version of the AC30 if you ask me.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 23, 2009,
^Have you actually played it?

I think you couldn't be more wrong. It has a different character than the AC30 and is nothing like it, so that's the main thing to consider.

I like the AC50CPH very much, and if I had the dough I'd get one.

And Vox made an SS version of the AC30 in the seventies
Yes i have played it.

it has more gain and all, but IMO its lacking balls compared to the AC30.

I guese its alright but i just like the AC15 or the 30 much better.
ok..well I ordered the hardwire cm-2, it should get here on wednesday. I have heard nothing but good things about the pedal. I have heard many people say what THEKID546 said many tmies before...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by THEKID546
Yes i have played it.

it has more gain and all, but IMO its lacking balls compared to the AC30.

I guese its alright but i just like the AC15 or the 30 much better.

You can't compare it to an AC30. That's like comparing a Supersonic to a Super Reverb.

It's a great amp, and it has MORE balls than an AC30 (if you can quantify balls).

I think you're wrong.
what I have heard is that it sounds more modern than the ac30, it has a tad more gain, it's tone isn't too good, it gets muddy...I really love the cleans on my amp, its just I need more gain, so I think Im making the right choice buying the hardwire cm-2.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
With the AC50, the mistake a lot of people make is going in and expecting a larger AC30. It isn't, it has its own character that you either love or hate.

The gain is a bit muddy, but if you turn down the bass and mids and push the treble up that sorts it out. I wouldn't call the gain Marshally or Voxy - I'd say it's somewhere between a classic Marshall and an AC30.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by fifer
what I have heard is that it sounds more modern than the ac30, it has a tad more gain, it's tone isn't too good, it gets muddy...I really love the cleans on my amp, its just I need more gain, so I think Im making the right choice buying the hardwire cm-2.

Tone is subjective. I think it's tone is good.

Teh cleans are nearly on par with the AC30, albiet a bit darker and less jangly. (Which in my opinion, is a good thing), and the gain channel is dark. It's a 2 channel amp as well, as opposed to the single channel AC30.

ANY amp will get 'muddy' (god, i hate that term) if you don't dial it in right. Most people call amps muddy when they can't dial it in. It's not that hard to do, really.

It's not an AC30. If you want the AC30 sound, which you seem to, keep the AC30. I suggest, however, that you give the AC50 a good couple of hours if you ever get to try one out.
Quote by imgooley
Tone is subjective. I think it's tone is good.

Teh cleans are nearly on par with the AC30, albiet a bit darker and less jangly. (Which in my opinion, is a good thing), and the gain channel is dark. It's a 2 channel amp as well, as opposed to the single channel AC30.

ANY amp will get 'muddy' (god, i hate that term) if you don't dial it in right. Most people call amps muddy when they can't dial it in. It's not that hard to do, really.

It's not an AC30. If you want the AC30 sound, which you seem to, keep the AC30. I suggest, however, that you give the AC50 a good couple of hours if you ever get to try one out.

the ac30cc2 is a two channel amp...is the ac50 footswitchable?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Fifer, I am not familiar with the Vox Model ac50tb2...do you mean ac50cp2? I think that is the model folks are comparing your AC30CC2 with?

I have never played the AC50cp2, however it sounds like a nice amp and is based on EL34 instead of EL84 Tubes. Also remember the 50 watts will take a little more volume to drive the power tubes, compared to the 30 watt. It also seems like the AC50's are going for some real good deals right now....for instance the "head version" is only $550 at Musicians Friend...that is not bad!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC50-Classic-Plus-50w-Amp-Head?sku=481027

Folks on the Vox Forums seem to think it is a good amp, but also not doing well as far as sales go. In fact I read the 100 watt version has been discontinued (I cannot confirm this - sorry.)

As far has "high-gain" amps go...I think one can do better than Vox. However, for your occaisional "high-gain" needs a VOX AC30 with a proper pedal can do the job well - just not as good as other amps.

As others have said, your best bet is to try out each amp and maybe some pedals in front of you AC30 and see what works best for you. Just want to add that your AC30 will probably sell alot easier than the Classic Plus (if you consider things like that.)

Best of luck and let me know how it works out for you!
Quote by fifer
the ac30cc2 is a two channel amp...is the ac50 footswitchable?

The AC30 is a two channel amp like a Bassman is a two channel amp. In reality, it's only a bright and normal input.

The AC50CP is footswitchable, and with separate volume/gain controls for each channel, and IIRC, separate EQ's.
I think Troy Van Leewen from Queens of the Stone Age uses one. Just throwing that out there.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Goolz I don't think it has seperate EQs
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Goolz I don't think it has seperate EQs

It does. I have a Vox magazine with me right now, it has 2 EQs.
Quote by Cathbard
The thing about the AC50 is that it doesn't really sound like the prototypical Vox sound. It's got it's own vibe to it, which I love, because it reminds me of the old Laney's with a slightly different vibe to it.
I have owned a Vox AC50 CP2 for over a month now and I think it really kicks ass! Of course, I am playing live gigs and jams with it so if you are playing in your bedroom it won't sound the same.

These amps do not sound like any other Vox AC series and probably should not have been named that way. Too many people think there is some tonal connection the AC30 and it just isn't so. I have been playing mine in bone-stock configuration and it kicks butt!

I think the AC50CP2 sounds quite similar in many respects to my Crate Palomino V50-212 combo. However, I think the Vox is better built in many respects. They are both HEAVY amps to lug around!

I'm lovin' mine and they are a steal at these close-out prices (if you can still find one).

Steve
Just get a Fulltone OCD and keep the AC30, its better and the OCD will give it a tighter heavier sound.