Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to upgrade from my peavey 212 special combo that has been trusty for a while and has plenty of balls, but not the tone I want. I've been looking around and I've come down to the following:

Splawn Nitro
Framus Cobra
Engl Powerball
Bogner Uberschall

Don't tell me about Mesa, I have tried to like them and I can't bring myself to it. If anyone can actually tell me about Splawn, I'd appreciate it, but they only pop up in threads here and there. The only one I'm actually going to be able to try is the powerball. The rest I would just be hunting tirelessly for and getting it shipped to Canada. I have really been loving Jeff Loomis' self title and the new Kreator. I know Jeff uses ENGL, but it doesn't say what model. My metal tastes can be pretty diverse, but I like more melodic stuff as well as some good ol' thrash. Necrophagist is definitely up there, but I don't really play songs by other bands and my style is pretty quick and technical and I like to have a head that's nice, tight and responsive that can help me deliver face-melting solos. Someone help me... Damn GAS is hard to subdue when I can't play what I'm looking for...
If I wasn't me, who else would I be?

Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded (02)
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
I know that Killsitch Engage uses Splawn Nitros and they used to use Framus Cobras, ironically. I personally love their tone, so I'd go with one of those. But I've also heard great stuff about Bogner all over this site.. Avenged Sevenfold used to use them. I can't say anything about the ENGL though
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
I've heard lots about the Uberschall, but it sounds like kind of a 2 trick pony. I have heard of the voicing on the ENLG's being really bright where a Splawn or Framus would be darker. I do like KSE a fair bit and it's a good sound, but not quite the style I play. God, I wish I could just play the bastards all in the same room.

Quote by MatReeves
im pretty sure Jeff uses the Invader dude. i know thats not the awnser your looking for but i thought id let you know anyways :P

I guess it's an answer, whether or not it's THE answer. The invader 150 is what Kreator uses too, although I don't know how long they have been. Hordes of Chaos is sweet.

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Last edited by SuperFlyinMonke at Mar 21, 2009,
the splawn would be best for basically a modernized hot rodded marshall sound. the powerball would be best for tight seven string stuff. i wouldnt know what to say about the other two, except that the bogner has balls
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by MatReeves
im pretty sure Jeff uses the Invader dude. i know thats not the awnser your looking for but i thought id let you know anyways :P

Actually, I believe he moved up the food chain to an ENGL SE.

I recommend you move away from the powerball, and toward a Savage 120. Just all round a better amp.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 21, 2009,
Imma have to say Splawn. Scott Splawn builds one heck of an amp and is a killer dude on a personal level.

Besides, the Nitro with KT88s sounds SUPER ballsy
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Imma have to say Splawn. Scott Splawn builds one heck of an amp and is a killer dude on a personal level.

Besides, the Nitro with KT88s sounds SUPER ballsy

yeah, my friend that uses it keeps his bass all the way off when he plays his. cant remember what tubes he uses, but yeah. not to mention the stuff is UBER quality
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I couldn't find any info on what the stock tubes are for the Nitro. I guess anything hand wired can be installed with anything if you get it new. I found a used one in the states, but I'm partial to the white one. I'm normally a blacked out kinda guy, but it looks too good. Kind of an old school RR Marshall type look. Not that the look really matters that much...

I would seriously doubt the Powerball to be a one-trick pony, but does sound like it lacks character and doesn't do anything spectacularly, but everything well. I like to play around with different genres, but lets face it... it's all about the metal. I could probably get an Invader, but the Blackmore sounds too 80's for me. I rarely tune down and don't have a 7. I do like Trivium and I know that they're all about the Marshall, but I don't want to mimic anyone. A little more drive and darkness than that would be good. I get a little more thrashy than that.

So, I guess it goes without saying that a matching cab is what's meant to be used, but there's so much out there to be so limited. Any thoughts? The matching white cab would be sexy as hell, but to blow 4 large on a rig because of the damn loonie being so low would be a little more of a hit than necessary.

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Quote by SuperFlyinMonke
I couldn't find any info on what the stock tubes are for the Nitro. I guess anything hand wired can be installed with anything if you get it new. I found a used one in the states, but I'm partial to the white one. I'm normally a blacked out kinda guy, but it looks too good. Kind of an old school RR Marshall type look. Not that the look really matters that much...

I would seriously doubt the Powerball to be a one-trick pony, but does sound like it lacks character and doesn't do anything spectacularly, but everything well. I like to play around with different genres, but lets face it... it's all about the metal. I could probably get an Invader, but the Blackmore sounds too 80's for me. I rarely tune down and don't have a 7. I do like Trivium and I know that they're all about the Marshall, but I don't want to mimic anyone. A little more drive and darkness than that would be good. I get a little more thrashy than that.

So, I guess it goes without saying that a matching cab is what's meant to be used, but there's so much out there to be so limited. Any thoughts? The matching white cab would be sexy as hell, but to blow 4 large on a rig because of the damn loonie being so low would be a little more of a hit than necessary.

The powerballs problem is that the fireball does metal better, and the blackmore does the cleans and rock better. It is also the most compressed ENGL...which means it doesn't sound as organic as the others.

I really suggest you look into the savage 120 if you want a versatile ENGL!

As far as cabs go...IF you go with a powerball, a mesa 1960 with G12T-75s is the way to go. For most others, a nice Mesa 4x12 with vintage 30s is go-to for metal. I personally like Orange though....
WTLTL 2011
Splawn thread man.

The splawn nitro is like a JCM800 sound but with Mesas gain and low mids and then add a lot growl and Umph to it and you've to a Splawn nitro, Great brit flavored amp

EDIT the nitro comes with either Mullard EL34s Tung-sol EL34Bs or Sovtek KT88s
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yeah, my friend that uses it keeps his bass all the way off when he plays his. cant remember what tubes he uses, but yeah. not to mention the stuff is UBER quality

So what you're saying is, it's muddy?
HOrlicks, not at all, go look at netmusicians and youtube it has alot of clarity it one of those amps that force you to play better
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Ok, so you're saying that you get "brit flavour." Do you mean that you get a UK marshall sound? I'm just saying this because I want more modern metal sounds, but I do like a sh!t load of Maiden too. I don't crank the distortion up too much, but I love rumbling the low end and I have high output pu's too.... what am I getting at? Oh right, I want to make sure that I can play some blues if I want, but I mostly just want to melt faces with heavy riffage and fast leads. This sounds like the beast to do so.

Mark G, are you saying that a Mesa cab would suit metal more than the Splawn cab? Bostonrocks, I'm glad someone knows what tubes can go into this guy. I really don't know a whole lot about tubes, to be honest. I have been playing a long time and have had my peavey for 7 years or so and I've really just been doing research lately. I did play a JCM 900 and liked it. I've played some tube peaveys too. The XXX wasn't tight enough and the KK203 was kinda grainy and not personalizable enough. Damn I'm picky.

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Framus cobra man, in my opinion is the best thing on the market for tech/dropped metal. Mainly because of the clarity on its distortion channel which is just high gain awesomeness. It has a very crisp clean channel too. But to really get it the the best distortion tone possible you would need to be running a Maxon OD808 through it.

But at the end of the day dude, its about what you want
If you want to be able to describe your distortion as "destructive" check out the framus.
Quote by RampagingAcorn
my ****ing god if i see another ****ing thread on this **** i will kill a baby
The splawn has enough low end to shake you're pant legs, it'll probably snuff out a candle haha. It has enough gain for modern metal easy infact alot of people use it I really think you should get the splawn man.

I personally think you should get a splawn with big blocks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=358837

splawn nitro look through as many of those clips as you can, they sound awesome.

EDIT: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=358837&songID=6352335
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 21, 2009,
Maybe I'll just get both the framus and the splawn in stereo. It's only money after all, right?

But seriously, I might just have to get both of them to see what I like better and sell the other because there's honestly no way I'll be able to play either before I buy them unless I take my bike on a trip through the states this summer... I don't want to wait that long either. Man, people think that not having money for an amp is their biggest problem. I mean it's sad just the same, but they both end in the same result... same old amp.

I want people to have a hard time breathing with my tone and distortion. I want people to wonder whether or not their heart is failing. I want people to hold onto their balls with fear that they will explode. Is that too much to ask?

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Last edited by SuperFlyinMonke at Mar 21, 2009,
I'm telling you you want a splawn if what you say is really what you want
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'm telling you you want a splawn if what you say is really what you want

+1 and check your emails brett
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Peters Gryphon

Albeit a bit more expensive, it is totally worth it.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by SuperFlyinMonke
Ok, so you're saying that you get "brit flavour." Do you mean that you get a UK marshall sound? I'm just saying this because I want more modern metal sounds, but I do like a sh!t load of Maiden too. I don't crank the distortion up too much, but I love rumbling the low end and I have high output pu's too.... what am I getting at? Oh right, I want to make sure that I can play some blues if I want, but I mostly just want to melt faces with heavy riffage and fast leads. This sounds like the beast to do so.

Mark G, are you saying that a Mesa cab would suit metal more than the Splawn cab? Bostonrocks, I'm glad someone knows what tubes can go into this guy. I really don't know a whole lot about tubes, to be honest. I have been playing a long time and have had my peavey for 7 years or so and I've really just been doing research lately. I did play a JCM 900 and liked it. I've played some tube peaveys too. The XXX wasn't tight enough and the KK203 was kinda grainy and not personalizable enough. Damn I'm picky.

The british voicing is characterized by a tight powerful ballsy midrange, searing smooth highs, and tight low end, whereas the american tone usually has a more powerful low end and a more seething high end.

The thing with the Splawn Nitros, is they have more of a modern metal tone (more focus on low-mids and low end) than the other Splawn amplifiers, while still keeping that signature british sound. They won't sound like a recto or anything, but they will sound amazing. http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Splawn%20Nitro&section=amp

Mesa would suit it just as well as the splawn, they will just sound different.

EDIT: I forgot about the Peters. Definitely worth looking into (but more recommended if you are in canada)
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Peters Gryphon

Albeit a bit more expensive, it is totally worth it.

I think the Chimera would be much more comparable to the amps in the original post.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
I think the Chimera would be much more comparable to the amps in the original post.

Or possibly even the Hydra.... not sure....I think that the Gryphon can get the tones hes looking for....

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=3220

Listen to the whole clip.

The beginning is more mid-rangey, but after half its brootal.

EDIT: Highwaytohell, with the current value of the canadian dollar vs. the american, its not so bad.

Here's another clip of the Gryphon with some Drop-B heavy riffage

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=2812
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Mar 21, 2009,
^ ^ god damn that sounds good
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I'm finding it hard to sit still while I sh1t my pants listening to all of this. From Peter's site, I'm afraid it's a misrepresentation of what they can really do. I was listening to all of the Nitro tracks and if you look at the song infos, they're set with the gain at 3 o'clock, so there's a lot more to go!

The problem I seem to be having when it comes to these clips because they don't play with the settings like I would like to. The closest one would be this one, the first one:

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=amp&value=Framus%20Cobra&offset=10&display=10

I use a lot of palm muting and galloping and I play fast, so I like it to be tight but powerful. People seem to like it really saturated with tone, but kinda weak in the heaviness department.

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
The clips on the peters site, i would agree with you, those are not the best representation of what his amps can do. I feel that the clips on netmusicians are a better representation, and that is only the gryphon. The Chimera is a newer model, and is based on a tighter, heavier agressiveness while still keeping that Peters signature sound. They palm mute like a beast. In fact, some people do compare them to be a step above the Framus Cobra, in that it's voiced that way, but peters blows it out of the water for versatility among other things.
Quote by SuperFlyinMonke
Maybe I'll just get both the framus and the splawn in stereo.

I used to do that Except I had a Quickrod and a Dragon. Sold it all for a Vetta II and Schecter Custom Shop.

BostonRocks... Splawns probabably have twice as much gain on tap than every Mesa except for the Mark III, IV, and V.

As far as the tones you're asking about, amonst a Nitro, Framus Cobra, ENGL, and Bogner Uberschall, you're coming upon 4 completely different amps.

The Bogner is typically referred to as Master of Puppets in a headshell. Big low end, tracks extremely well, and has good lead tones. Weak clean channel.

ENGL's have the traditional german flavor. Very big low end, sizzly high end, with all of the focus being on the lower and upper mids but an extremely weak mids. The EQ is kind of like a sharp V being in the very center of the EQ, and everything else being boosted. If you like the tones of Nevermore, or Tool ENGL will satisfy you well. ENGL's have their own flavor of cleans, extremely dark, but nice and sparkly at the same time.

The Nitro has 2 different tube varients... EL-34, and KT-88. Get the EL34 one so you can mod it to be KT-88 and reverse it. The other way around is not possible. They have an assload of low end, extremely loud, tons of mid punch, and are very aggressive. Extremely well built, great price. The clean channel IMO is better than the Bogner's but not an ENGL.

The Framus Cobra is voiced somewhere between British and American. It has the raw crunch of a Recto with the low end and midrange force of a Marshall JCM800(or varients). The cleans on Framus' trumps just about every high end high gain amp on the market.

With all of them being different flavors it's going to be hard for me to say to choose one over the others. I would gladly take another Framus Dragon/Cobra, Splawn Nitro, Uberschall or XTC, or ENGL Invader, Powerball, Fireball, or E670.

I would also look into:
Brunetti
VHT
Mesa Mark V
Peters
Fractal AxeFX
Randall RM4
Meteoro
Hughes and Kettner Triamp
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Mar 22, 2009,
Well that's good news. The Splawn seems to lack that aggressiveness, but still a very wonderfully sounding tone. I found a clip that I liked with the nitro, but still not quite tight enough for what I'm after. I can't seem to find anything useful about the Hydra. Is it basically a Chimera with an overdrive switch that mimics more of a Gryphon sound? I couldn't quite gather what he was getting at.

The clips for the Chimera on netmusicians are by Jamespeters, in case no one noticed.

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Quote by SuperFlyinMonke
Well that's good news. The Splawn seems to lack that aggressiveness, but still a very wonderfully sounding tone. I found a clip that I liked with the nitro, but still not quite tight enough for what I'm after. I can't seem to find anything useful about the Hydra. Is it basically a Chimera with an overdrive switch that mimics more of a Gryphon sound? I couldn't quite gather what he was getting at.

The clips for the Chimera on netmusicians are by James Peters, in case no one noticed.

The clips of the chimera, again don't do it justice. I was speaking with James last night about the Hydra since it's what I play on buying. It is not a Chimera nor a Gryphon, but more an in between. I has the same aggressive deep nature of the chimera, while keeping the same peters flavor. It also has more of a mid range sweep vs the chimera, more reminiscent of the Gryphon.

it is neither really, and thus why a new model was needed. I am going to play one in May, my stuff got jacked last week while I was in Winnipeg, so I couldn't get over to James', however May long I will be there.
Quote by kayman121

Peters amps are amazing amps. Nice to see them discussed here. My ultimate metal rig is my Cobra and a Chimera in stereo. I think that should sufficiently shake the planet. If only more people knew/heard of Peters amps. They ARE truely awesome.
They are getting bigger and bigger on here as they are being purchased. Have you owned one Esupremacy?
I personally didn't like the clip of the Chimera, but loved the clips of the Gryphon. I thought the Chimera had too much gain. Maybe I'll like the Hydra better
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I personally didn't like the clip of the Chimera, but loved the clips of the Gryphon. I thought the Chimera had too much gain. Maybe I'll like the Hydra better

I'll say it again.

The Chimera clips do not do the amp justice, you really have to either hear the amp in person, or hear it being played in the style of music that you play. Some of the clips on James' site were submitted by bands or whatever, so however they choose to record it etc....there are so many factors with recording that...you really never know what you are going to get.......

I can't wait to try out the Hydra though....May long weekend...hurry up and come sooner!
Oh, I kept that in mind I've heard plenty of ****ty recordings of amazing amps myself, so I'd like to hear one in person. I just preferred the clips of the Gryphon, and it's general voicing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Me as well, but I love the agressiveness of the Chimera...so I have hopes for the Hydra....can't wait!
Brendan, you're saying you get a chance to play one coming up? That's sweet. I might just have to talk to James and get him to record some heavier riffing clips to upload onto his page to help me with my decision myself. It's looking like a choice amongst the 3 Peters now. I really like that last clip I heard of the Splawn though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig&feature=player_embedded

So where do you consider the middle of nowhere? I'm in Red Deer myself.

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Last edited by SuperFlyinMonke at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by SuperFlyinMonke
Brendan, you're saying you get a chance to play one coming up? That's sweet. I might just have to talk to James and get him to record some heavier riffing clips to upload onto his page to help me with my decision myself. It's looking like a choice amongst the 3 Peters now. I really like that last clip I heard of the Splawn though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig&feature=player_embedded

So where do you consider the middle of nowhere? I'm in Red Deer myself.

Yeah man, luckily I know James and am heading over to his place in Winnipeg in May to play a 100 watt hydra and James' personal 100 watt Chimera. I think if you hear either one playing a style of music that you play, you will not be let down. To be honest, I was looking at Splawn before I heard of Peters, and then I heard the clips, and then I started talking to James, and a few other guys about what I was looking for in an amp, and Peters sounded perfect. I heard more clips, and after speaking with James more and more, I was sold. I really think that his amps have his own flavour and Scott's have his own, so it's really a personal preference. I live in Sioux Lookout, Ontario....its DEFINITELY in the middle of nowhere!
I just got back from the shop and played an SG much like my own through an ENGL Savage. Needless to say, it kicked a lot of ass. They had an Invader 100 there too, but I knew I wasn't going to buy anything today, so I didn't feel like making the guy at the shop move everything around again. In case anyone has been to Avenue Guitars in Edmonton, it's super squished in there. They don't have an amp-practice room either, but a lot of super nice stuff I want to turn up much louder than desired. I was really impressed with the amount of gain on tap with it and it is definitely powerful and tight on the low end like I've always wanted!! The only thing is that the difference between the crunch and lead channels wasn't very much at all and it has 2 tubes for 4 channels... I will definitely try the Invader when I've got another chance. I think that I really only found 2 sounds that I would use on the Savage, so the search continues.

Why do ENGL cabs have to cost so much!! I mean 1500 for a 4x12 with greenbacks is pretty steep...

Gear:
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Page 1 of 2