Right I've taken out my EMG's from my Epiphone Futura and I have a few questions.
First off, if i'm no longer using the Floyd Rose, i.e springs aren't installed anymore do i still need the grounding wire?
Secondly, do all pick ups use plug in using the 3 pronged plug (pics available if you don't know what i mean)
Thirdly, to put some passives in what do I change? Volume & tone pots & switch?
aand finally, I need more room in the guitar I'm putting them into (Dean Evo) so far do you think I'll be able to extend the control cavity without encountering massive problems?

pics of Dean:

EDIT: sorry about pic size!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by SimplyBen

First off, if i'm no longer using the Floyd Rose, i.e springs aren't installed anymore do i still need the grounding wire?
Secondly, do all pick ups use plug in using the 3 pronged plug (pics available if you don't know what i mean)
Thirdly, to put some passives in what do I change? Volume & tone pots & switch?
aand finally, I need more room in the guitar I'm putting them into (Dean Evo) so far do you think I'll be able to extend the control cavity without encountering massive problems?

1. yes you need a ground wire unless you want heaps of buzz.
2. no, only EMGs. duncan blackouts are compatible with it though.
3. pots and jack need to be replaced but you can reuse the switch.
4. shouldn't be too hard if you know your way around a router.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
ah, where would I put the ground wire in the Dean? That's where the EMG's are going.
Will I need the ground wire with passive pickups?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

no ground wire from the bridge needed with EMG's. passives, yes.
right, so what would happen if i remove the claws & screws for the floyd rose, would that still need a grounding wire when I put in the p/ups?
'cos I'm gunna swap the pots etc. over from my Dean so theoretically if I wire stuff up the same it will work fine right?

dadudeguy: I'm not buying new p/up's as I can't afford at the moment, but the dean is my practice guitar and i play it in a few drop tunings so I'd quite like to put the EMG's in there and have a decent pair of passives (eventually) in my futura.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
right, so what would happen if i remove the claws & screws for the floyd rose, would that still need a grounding wire when I put in the p/ups?
'cos I'm gunna swap the pots etc. over from my Dean so theoretically if I wire stuff up the same it will work fine right?

how is the bridge gunna stay level with no claw or springs ?
oh sorry forgot to say, it's blocked off so it's permanently level.
that would probably have been an important bit of info
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

yeah.

this whole time i was scratching my head, picturing your bridge pointing towards the ceiling.

you'll still need some sort of ground from the bridge regardless whether the springs and claw are there or not. for sake of ease i'd just keep the claw and springs back there if possible. if that's not an option you're gunna have to solder a wire straight to the under side of the bridge somehow.
sorry dude just realized I never said it was blocked.
right so I'll leave the claw n stuff in and then just re-solder the ground wire to
the passive pots?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

yup, that'd be the easiest way of going about it.
thanks for the help Mikey.
How would I find out what type of pots are in my Dean so I can get another volume pot?
Also would there be a problem wiring the EMG's to one volume and one tone rather than 2 V & 1 T? Or could I remove the tone pot and have it set to full? and have 2 volume pots on my Dean?

Sorry if these are really obvious questions i'm new to this
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

no problem

since your dean's got humbuckers it probably has 500k pots. when you take them out it should say on the top of it somewhere.

wiring it up for 2V/1T won't be a problem.

if you want to make it just 2V that won't be a problem either. i actually prefer the sound of EMGs without tone pots.
hey guys hope one of you could point me in the right direction here :P

ive recently baught emgs 81 and 85 .. WIRED EVERYTHING UP .. ALL GOOD TO GO .. HAD A SCHALLER 3 WAY SWITCH with only 7 tags on .. not like in the diagram, all the connections are quick connect stuff really .. the neck and bridge postion on the switch sound exactly the same and the middle postion with "both" pups in sounds awful .... think i might have to get an 8 tag on like shown in diagram, also ... the jack socket ... i have to have my lead half way in to get ...ANY sound at all .. put it all the way in and nothing ...

please help guys, BTW all volume and tone controls perfect
Quote by greemo
hey guys hope one of you could point me in the right direction here :P

ive recently baught emgs 81 and 85 .. WIRED EVERYTHING UP .. ALL GOOD TO GO .. HAD A SCHALLER 3 WAY SWITCH with only 7 tags on .. not like in the diagram, all the connections are quick connect stuff really .. the neck and bridge postion on the switch sound exactly the same and the middle postion with "both" pups in sounds awful .... think i might have to get an 8 tag on like shown in diagram, also ... the jack socket ... i have to have my lead half way in to get ...ANY sound at all .. put it all the way in and nothing ...

please help guys, BTW all volume and tone controls perfect

*reported* for spamming. You just asked this in another thread.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well sorry but no-one was getting back to me, and i need to see if anyone knows more to this situation .. how is it spamming, its not automated or anything, im just trying to get my guitar sorted