I'm planning on going to a local pawn shop soon and spending around $150 to $200 for some good name brand, used, electric guitars. They'd HAVE to be better than the First Act-Walmart guitar I have now .

So, I'm no expert on what models I should avoid for a second, decent guitar. I think I want an Ibanez, because I hear they're good for metal and hard rock type genres, though I lean more towards prog rock than metal. My jammin buddy has a custom model Ibanez Prestige, which is why I think I want one. I don't really want a Fender, but I don't hate them specifically.

So, in general, are there any models or brands that are just bad to buy as my second guitar?
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Squier is really bad.
As for the Ibanez prestige, you won't find one at that price range. Maybe a cheaper
Ibanez or something.
Make sure you try before you buy.
Make sure you test it thouroughly (all switch positions work, pots turn quietly.

Fenders are awesome for modding btw.

if you dont know much about guitars dont go to a pawn shop they'll rape you. you should look on craigslist then research guitars online you'll find better deals on craigslist for sure
Quote by Xeus
washburn are good

+2
And if ur not that sure just don't go or get someone who knows more things than you on choosing guitars with you.....
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Quote by drunkass
if you dont know much about guitars dont go to a pawn shop they'll rape you. you should look on craigslist then research guitars online you'll find better deals on craigslist for sure

+1. For the most part all pawn shops stock are absolute crap or models that have been discontinued for years, so if you don't know much about guitars you're likely to walk out with a turd you paid too much for.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Squier is really bad.
As for the Ibanez prestige, you won't find one at that price range. Maybe a cheaper
Ibanez or something.

opinion void. he might've found a really good old squier for about $50 and just ignored it because you said that, and missed out big time.

the older squiers such as the 1980s models made in japan are highly sought after collectible guitars which should have a lot of value in years to come. I played an '80s squier jazz bass which was about on par with my '78 Rickenbacker 4001 bass, and no, i'm not joking. as far as more recent models go, often the affinity and above can be good although mostly they are a bit crappy, which is why you try before you buy. squier has a wide range of stuff, and the higher end tends to crossover into low end fender territory or better, but at a lower price.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I got myself a banged up Epi Explorer for 60$ that had EMGs in it. The body was banged up but she plays great and the EMGs really shine. Not bad for 60$, but I tend to go by two or three times a week to see what new has come in. You can really find some good stuff if you look around.
Pawn shops can be good if you know what you are doing. The problem is they are generally full of over priced junk so be very careful. The problem with buying second hand is you need to know about guitars in general and how to tell if they are in good working order. Also you need to know about different brands and their prices so you don't get ripped off. Once you know that you can get some real bargains if you take your time.

Mid to high price Squiers are decent enough guitars but make sure you play the guitar before you pay for it as you need the right guitar for you.