ok so i was given a Crestwood 12 string (not sure of the model) about a year ago and while it's nothing special i've always enjoyed playing it. For awhile i had been meaning to change the strings for the first time but i kept putting it off since i hate changing one string, let alone 12. Well i finally got around to it yesterday but i've run into a problem. I was able to string the lower 6 strings just fine but when i moved onto the high e (i hadn't strung the b and g strings) and began tightening it into tune i realized that the string was actually being "fretted" at the first fret. The lower strings were also buzzing more than i would've liked but i thought little of it until i ran into this.

Im the first to admit that i'm very inexperienced at repairing or even adjusting acoustic guitars so i'm really not sure how to go about identifying and fixing this problem. any help would be amazing.

oh and the new strings are a different gauge from the old ones. They are .10s and i believe the old ones were .12s
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Check the necks truss rod after you string it all up, and loosen it a little bit. This will cause the neck to bow a little making the strings higher off the fretboard. Do this with all strings on and be sure not to loosen the truss rod too much, it can permanently **** up your guitar...
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
What do you mean it's being fretted at the first fret? Are you saying it's got a massive amount of fret buzz?

If I were you I'd finish putting all the strings on, and then check for any neck and action problems.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
It may fix itself once you put all the strings on, so put the g and b strings on first before the high e.
and i dont know much either, but acoustics do have a truss rod in them you can access from the sound hole im pretty sure, but i dont know whether you tighten or loosen it.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by Dog454
What do you mean it's being fretted at the first fret? Are you saying it's got a massive amount of fret buzz?

If I were you I'd finish putting all the strings on, and then check for any neck and action problems.

yea thats a better way to put it

the first thing i was going to try was loosening the truss rod a bit but i wanted to check to make sure there wasn't something easier i was missing
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by RageAgainst...
yea thats a better way to put it

the first thing i was going to try was loosening the truss rod a bit but i wanted to check to make sure there wasn't something easier i was missing

Ignore the ignorant, don't touch your truss rod.

Take it to a guitar shop. If you mess around and get it wrong you've broken your guitar. It's fairly obvious none of the people who have posted in here so far have any idea what they're talking about.