Alright, I've got a stock cherry apple red 1996 Ibanez RG270 and I was planning on improving it. what should I do. Only thing i've done so far is add dunlop strap locks.

I'd like pickup suggestions, painting suggestions, tuners, bridges, different straplocks, etc.

I play mainly 70s classic rock and 80s heavy metal with a little bit of neoclassical shred thrown in if i can actually play it

EDIT: Feel free to photoshop or GIMP it to show me what you mean
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Mar 21, 2009,
u can get the white and silver like steve vai! add a whammy to it since i dont c it on but it does have the other parts
Floyd Rose possibly new pickups, I'm not a pickup afficianado so I don't know what to recommend or what those are. Or you could buy a different guitar but that seems fine for what you play.
It does have a single locking liscenced floyd rose on there. I don't really want to have to rout the body to replace it but if one would just drop right in i might. Assume i don't have a budget because i wanna hear all suggestions. Just dont go over $600 lets say.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
I've just looked at your sig and realized that you NEED a better amp

worry about that first
UG's Prodigal Son
Replace the pickups with Bareknuckles, let's say a set of Abraxas humbuckers with a Slow Hand single coil. That actually might be your entire budget... But I'd say its definitely worth it. Check out all of Bareknuckles stuff, you might prefer something other than that. http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/products.html
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by lunaticfringe93
I've just looked at your sig and realized that you NEED a better amp

worry about that first

alright well since i posted the stuff i play most at the top then got any amp suggestions? I'd prefer something with tubes because i want the next amp i get to serve me all i need for a few years. If its a valve amp the most i'll need will be 40watts. I was looking at spider VALVES (not spider iii)
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by lunaticfringe93
check out a used peavey classic 30 tube amp those are really good amps.

I thought those were mainly blues amps? And how much do they go for. I don't really think they woould be very good for 80s metal and shred....
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Xhale1
u can get the white and silver like steve vai! add a whammy to it since i dont c it on but it does have the other parts

...There's definitely a trem on there already...
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Quote by Polystant
I thought those were mainly blues amps? And how much do they go for. I don't really think they woould be very good for 80s metal and shred....

they're great for classic/hard rock too if you need some extra distortion throw in a V-stack that'll give you the boost you need. The V-stack really makes the amp sound convincingly like a Mesa or Marshall stack. I use the setup and couldn't be happier with the sound

EDIT: Also check out the fender super champ xd
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 21, 2009,
Unless there are major issues with the guitar, spend the money on a decent amp first. It will do a lot more for you than replacing okay pups with better ones.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Unless there are major issues with the guitar, spend the money on a decent amp first. It will do a lot more for you than replacing okay pups with better ones.

such as????
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
I agree with everyone else that a new amp first is more important, but I'll just recommend some pups anyways.

Bridge: Dimarzio Super Distortion (Pretty much the king of 80's metal and will do rock tones no prob as well).

Mid: Dimarzio HS-3 (Smooth and neutrally EQ'd, very versatile; good harmonics when overdriven. Hum-cancelling).

Neck: Dimario PAF Pro or Breed Neck (For your shred tones and everything else. The Breed is EQ'd to be louder and fatter than the PAF Pro so it's up to you).
Last edited by B. Jammin at Mar 21, 2009,