I heard the ISP Decimator is the best noise gat on the market. But on uberproaudio.com I have not seen ONE band that uses it. They all use NS-2. Also, I've heard the MXR Smart Gate is up there with the ISP.

Which one is better in your opinion?

MXR Smart Gate
ISP Technologies Decimator
Boss NS-2
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
This is just my opinion, but I think you're better off spending the money on better gear. If you replace the DS-1 and Weapon with higher quality distortion (meaning analog and true bypass) you shouldn't have issues with noise. Just my two cents.

That being said, my friend has the ISP and likes it more than the NS-2 because it colors his tone less (so he claims). No experience with the MXR pedal.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
i use a the BOSS NS 2 through a peavey 6505plus and it works great, i just end up turning the treshold way up, and even at the high treshold level, there is almost no tone difference
Last edited by octopig at Mar 21, 2009,
I have only experience with the NS-2 I like it got it for 40 bucks I'm not complaining.
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
ns-2 does the job and 98% of pro's use it
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by handlerb
This is just my opinion, but I think you're better off spending the money on better gear. If you replace the DS-1 and Weapon with higher quality distortion (meaning analog and true bypass) you shouldn't have issues with noise. Just my two cents.

That being said, my friend has the ISP and likes it more than the NS-2 because it colors his tone less (so he claims). No experience with the MXR pedal.

Well I have actually recently sold the DS-1. But I have to say, the Digitech Weapon is one of the better distortions I have played. I am in love with it and do not plan on selling it (any time soon).
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
I bought the ISP a while ago. I was looking for a noise gate and I thought I would try the ISP first and return it if it didn't work right.

There was no reason to return it. The thing is like magic and I never looked back.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
ns-2 does the job and 98% of pro's use it

Where did you get this information? I find it very unlikely.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
I find the iSP is just more transparent than the NS-2.
And the NS-2 has more knobs and LED's than it really needs,
the iSP gets 'er done with one knob.

The NS-2 still did a better job than I originally thought it would though.

I think most pros use the NS-2 because iSP is more of an unknown company,
and unless you're connected with a whole community of gear-heads (like UG and HC) you probably won't know what the best to buy is.

Also, to be honest if I saw the box for the NS-2 at a store, and then saw the box for the Decimator at a store, I'd get the NS-2. Everybody will always judge on packaging/looks and convert that to how they think the product will actually perform.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Molsons Golden
Where did you get this information? I find it very unlikely.

I actually believe it. Look up any guitarist on Uberproaudio and I can guarantee you most of them will have NS-2's

So, the general concensus is a Decimator?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
The Decimator is the best for that price range - if you're looking a little more expensive, then the best is the G-String.

No question.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Faux~Affliction
I find the iSP is just more transparent than the NS-2.
And the NS-2 has more knobs and LED's than it really needs,
the iSP gets 'er done with one knob.

The NS-2 still did a better job than I originally thought it would though.

I think most pros use the NS-2 because iSP is more of an unknown company,
and unless you're connected with a whole community of gear-heads (like UG and HC) you probably won't know what the best to buy is.

Also, to be honest if I saw the box for the NS-2 at a store, and then saw the box for the Decimator at a store, I'd get the NS-2. Everybody will always judge on packaging/looks and convert that to how they think the product will actually perform.

As much as I like your avatar i highly disagree

ISP Technologies is a very well known company, and personally, i think the reason pro's use the NS-2 is because of an arrangement with BOSS, or because of the cost-benefit ratio.

I think that any pro musician knows about gear forums, in fact, I know they do, but I also know that they don't bother with places like HC and UG. They go to less known and smaller forums, the likes of HRI, due to the superior amount of knowledge, and few number of "spammers".
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
the NS-2 has an FX loop, and i think what you can do is set it up so that its in front of the amp as well as in the fx loop of the amp. this way, you dont need two gates. thats one reason i might take it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the NS-2 has an FX loop, and i think what you can do is set it up so that its in front of the amp as well as in the fx loop of the amp. this way, you dont need two gates. thats one reason i might take it

*Cough* G-String
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

You never need more that one gate...unless you are running more than one amplifier. The FX loop would allow for bypass depending on the FX....for example, you don't really want compression or gating of a Delay or Echo effect, however, with an overdrive you might.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
^well the thing is when you put the gate in front of the amp it takes care of pickup noise and in the fx loop takes care of noise from the preamp. so i assume you could do some sort of 4 cable method and set it up to gate both the front and loop of the amp. i really have no clue though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

False, I tried it out and it failed. Just mutes your entire rig, and if you turn it off you have No gate. The FX loop on the NS-2 is to reduce hum from noisey pedals, you put whatever you want in there really to help reduce noise, you can't incorporate it in your Amp's effects loop, the only pedal on the mark that's a stomp-box and does that is the Decimator G-string (I'm currently GASsing over ).
For example, Adam D from KsE has his Maxon OD808 in the effects loop of his NS-2, you can do whatever you want with it.
But to the TS, the Boss will suck your tone in quite a few cases, but for some it works fine (incuding myself). I have no tone loss, if anything it makes my tone tighter but cutting out the overtones a bit (a bad thing in some cases). I'm just looking into the ISP Decimator G-String because amp hum get's pretty annoying after a while, and I loved the sound I got from my old effects pedal cutting the hum from the amp in the loop (before I traded it). I'ver never had any experience with the MXR though, just heard mixed reviews on it.
I like to run a Decimator in front of my amp and a NS-2 in the loop. The ISP keeps everything quiet and clear sounding up front while the NS-2 get's rid of a small amount is hiss/noise that I used to hear after the preamp.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by bowen
False, I tried it out and it failed. Just mutes your entire rig, and if you turn it off you have No gate.

I thing you did it wrong.
If you want to run the NS-2 both in front of the amp and in the loop you do it like this:

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
^Wow, I'm not one to be trying stuff like that, especially after accidentally using the send as the output of the pedal and thinking it was broken once
I'm gonna try that, and edit to post my results, sounds interesting to me. May save me $230 too if I dig this.
EDIT: Works well, still a tiny bit of hum, but it's less than before!
Approval stamp to this *wack*
Last edited by bowen at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by bowen
^Wow, I'm not one to be trying stuff like that, especially after accidentally using the send as the output of the pedal and thinking it was broken once
I'm gonna try that, and edit to post my results, sounds interesting to me. May save me $230 too if I dig this.
EDIT: Works well, still a tiny bit of hum, but it's less than before!
Approval stamp to this *wack*

I know its a neet trick. I also believe that is how most pros use it.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
The only thing I face with it and having other pedals in the loop is my sustain is greatly suffering, but of course this is what one has to expect using a noise supressor. I think I'll keep messing around with it to see what I get.
The Absence uses the Decimator
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
The Absence uses the Decimator

Because they are endorsed by ISP.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Mar 21, 2009,
I hope you mean endorsed

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
I hope you mean endorsed

Sorry I use a spell check pluck-in in firefox to check my spelling and sometimes I'm a bit to fast on clicking and click the wrong one.

Fixed now.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
It's cool, I thought you were implying that you didn't like them, and that the company just endured them because of the exposure or something

Stupid name.