Poll: Can you tell guitarists apart by their sound?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you tell guitarists apart by their sound?
Yep, I recognise all my favourite guitarist's styles easily
303 65%
Sometimes, with difficulty
148 32%
Not at all
12 3%
Voters: 463.
Page 1 of 3
People are always talking about guitarist's unique style, and being able to recognise famous guitarists just by their vibrato or whatever. When listening to lead guitar duets, such as the Riding with the King album or the Santana/Clapton song, I can only use the sounds of the guitars (Clapton's Strat/BB's Lucille, etc.) to differentiate them.

Does this come with experience? I mean, I listen to Guns N Roses non-stop, but I couldn't blind-tell Slash's playing (actually, I could hum most GnR solos, so it would be hard to surprise me :P).

What about you guys?
Yes, more or less.
If you're familiar with a certain guitarist, you can tell its them even if you don't know they're playing.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm not such a guitarist man, but I easely recognise bands, vocalists and cowbellers

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Slash mostly, but besides from that no.
Oh Buckethead
Yamaha RGX-A2
Line 6 Spider
Need a new amp so much D:
Orange Stack or Marshall JCM 2000 Stack please.
Buckethead
Joe Satriani
Pete Townshend
Brian May (is that cheating?)
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Yah, guitarists I am familiar with definitely have their own sound. It's kind of like how each persons voice sounds differently.
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
I was listening to Riding with The King, and, like you, I could tell them apart by the tone. But that's only because I'm not familiar with either player.

Most of the guys that I listen to have a fairly distinctive style. Steve Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, Angus Young, Brian May...even if it's nothing groundbreaking and innovative, they still have their own style. It's like hearing someone's voice. It doesn't matter if they're saying something you've never heard before, you recognise their voice, accent and diction.
Same with guitarists.

I can't tell generic indie bands apart, though. Sorry. I jsut had to point that out as an exception that proves the rule.

EDIT: Madhampster beat me to the voice simile.
Paul Gilbert, EVH are the one si can always recognize. Vocalists i can almost 100% of the time but that's a bit easier.
you can tell easily by tom morello, but yeah if you are farmiliar with them yes.
Equiptment:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170
Amp: Fender Rumble 100
Pedal: Boss BOD-3 Bass overdrive pedal
i can tell more by a players unique tone more than their playing style but that also has a part.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Tom Morello is pretty easy to notice, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

The fella from Billy Talent seems to have a pretty individual style, but that might need the whole band dynamic to really come out, I'm not sure.
I'm good with a lot of old blues guys like BB and Clapton because my dad has been quizzing me on those since I was born.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i can easily tell the difference between Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance from A7X.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Dimebag is easy to spot as well. God I loved his style.

\m/ R.I.P. \m/

You can tell it's him from the silence

He dead!
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I can always recognise hammett. Even without the wah and santana too. Probably cause his tone is pretty unique.
Quote by jj1565
what type of music do you play?

if you play mostly bees in a box music then go wt the MG
if you play transformers, more than meets the eye, then Spider.

I can pretty much recognize most of my favorites. Well, except for Zakk Wylde and SRV.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
tom morello
dimebag
darran smith(funeral for a friend)
iain mahanty(kids in glass houses)

all have quite unmistakeable sounds
I can tell the difference between Page's solos and Bohman's solos :-P

I are done right?
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by randomhero93
i can easily tell the difference between Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance from A7X.

That's a little cheap, because their solos and rhythm parts are almost polar opposates. Listen to say, Second Heartbeat where there are about 3 interlude solos and a main solo and you can tell which is which easily. Zacky is more metalcore and Syn is more jazz and blues influenced rock.

I could easily guess most of my fave's styles, like Slash, Dime, Syn and Zacky, Zack Blair and Tim McIlrath, Matt Tuck and Padge, etc.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Well Slash's style isn't very unique. I could easily tell Johnny Marr's style though.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Eddie Van Halen is easy to spot.
Brian May is pretty unique as well.
Jimmy Page has a unique tone and style.
Eric Johnson is no different from above.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
Eddie Van Halen is easy to spot.
Brian May is pretty unique as well.
Jimmy Page has a unique tone and style.
Eric Johnson is no different from above.

He's unique. Just like everyone else.
The ones I can recognize :
Joe Satriani
Zakk Wylde
Kirk Hammett
Kiko Loureiro, absolutely unique
Buckethead
John Petrucci
John 5
Steve Vai
Michael Angelo Batio
Michael Romeo
Yngwie Malmsteen

but really, all of the above are very easy to recognize
Who can not recognize the repetitive molestation of the wah pedal, also known as Kirk Hammet?
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
SRV is very unique just in his solos alone, though it helps that I know almost every song of his back to front by humming. Clapton, too, has become very easy to spot during a solo for me. Robert Cray as well, but more for his amazing tone, almost like he's just amplified the original sound you would get if a Strat were unplugged, but it still sounds great.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
If I had an axe that could make well formed vaginas I would go out a lot less.
Johnny Thunders. I'd know his settings and tone a mile away I think.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by schmidty3000
SRV is very unique just in his solos alone, though it helps that I know almost every song of his back to front by humming. Clapton, too, has become very easy to spot during a solo for me. Robert Cray as well, but more for his amazing tone, almost like he's just amplified the original sound you would get if a Strat were unplugged, but it still sounds great.

Yay Robert Cray :P The guy doesn't get enough recognition, but he's a legend
I can easily recognise Joe Satriani, Slash, Steve Vai (the majority of the time), Santana, etc.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Kirk Hammett is quite possibly the easiest to recognize.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Only my favourite ones.
Derek Trucks for example has his own style which he incoporates even when he is a guest in other songs. I can't recognize palm muted riffing by metal bands nor can I tell the difference between pop rock songs. I can however, tell the difference between their vocals except for metal gutturals and pop rock singing.
Page 1 of 3