I had posted this in acoustic section but i beleive its the wrong one so i repost here, (mods can close the other one)

I'm looking to get myself an acoustic guitar by my luthier who already made me an electric guitar

The guitar is based on a Martin d28 i beleive (not sure, but i know its based on martin)

The top will be AAA spruce (epinette in french) back and sides either mahogany or rosewood ( little more expensive)

neck mahogany with i beleive either mahogany or the other commonly used wood (is all black)

sorry certain wood names run away from me today

any suggestions towards wood choices ?

pickup piezo i was thinking an L.R.Baggs or the like?

SUGGESTIONS, opinions or compliments:P
Last edited by ferguson911 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by CorduroyEW
What do you want the guitar to sound like?

deep rythm like, with the lead abilities also, a nice warm sound
jaw dropping nice lets say
I'd say mahogany back and sides with sitka spruce top. Simple, but by far one of the most versatile yet warmest tones. Neck would work mahogany.
If you want to go exotic, and have an awesome looking guitar, ziricote back and sides, with a Red Cedar top, and a mahogany neck, or if you can, ziricote (Don't know how good a neck it is though).
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
I'd say mahogany back and sides with sitka spruce top. Simple, but by far one of the most versatile yet warmest tones. Neck would work mahogany.
If you want to go exotic, and have an awesome looking guitar, ziricote back and sides, with a Red Cedar top, and a mahogany neck, or if you can, ziricote (Don't know how good a neck it is though).

koa for sides is MAGIC but probably out of my price range

it will cost me around 2000$ withouth piezo in it, thats spruce and mahogany
Koa is fantastic, but I prefer ziricote if we're going exotic. 2K just for mahogany and spruce? Dude, for 2K you could get loads of koa.
For the pickups I'd look around LR Baggs. They have really nice stuff.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Koa is fantastic, but I prefer ziricote if we're going exotic. 2K just for mahogany and spruce? Dude, for 2K you could get loads of koa.
For the pickups I'd look around LR Baggs. They have really nice stuff.

no i mean 2k is a finished guitar :P ready to play

what lkid of tone does koa give
Ah, that makes much more sense now.
About the koa, I'd take a visit to 'The Only Tone Wood Thread'. Though if you download Breedlove's 2009 Product Guide off their site, they have a very nice chart that I often use of top woods and side&backs that they use. From the guide:
KOA: Exotic Hawaiian tonewood.
Highest grades are
extremely rare. Warm
and woody. Koa’s voice
sweetens and deepens
over time.
it's all coming back