My church currently has the bass running into a DI-box into the desk, and it lacks any definition, so a nice amp is needed to make it as crisp as possible alongside the keyboard, acoustic, electric and drums.

Also, I've been toying with building a rig for myself as well, my 15w Peavey doesn't stand a chance next to my my mate's amp and a drummer, especially if he throws on some thick fuzz/distortion (I play metal usually, a tiny bit different from worship music xD). My church seems to be unwilling to invest in a new amp ATM, whatever I pick will have to serve both purposes, so also good post-EQ DI-output is a must. I don't mind if it's lightweight, provided it's luggable. My cab will be used for band practice (maybe small gigs eventually), so doesn't need to be as versatile. Should I go for a 4x10 or a 1x15?

Price range: £600-800
Main Bass: Fernandes 4x (Passive J-Style Pickups)

Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75524
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vx-410/12949

I use the head with a 115 cab, and it is amazing so I can definitely vouch for it. I've heard good things about this cab, and this setup will easily be enough for your playing needs, especially if you're using a PA system. Plus, its underbudget!
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.

I use the head with a 115 cab, and it is amazing so I can definitely vouch for it. I've heard good things about this cab, and this setup will easily be enough for your playing needs, especially if you're using a PA system. Plus, its underbudget!

+1

that amp is genius!

whoever it is Pre-eq. A 4x10 cab will have more emphasis on the highs, whereas a 1x15 will have more emphasis on the lows, so its down to personal taste really. ide get a 4x10 personally
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Last edited by lorrythebassguy at Mar 21, 2009,
agree with the above.

also look at the WorkingPro stuff from SWR, I have recently become a large fan of their sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ScottB.

I was looking at the LH500 before, but unfortunately it's not post pre-amp/EQ, so I don't see how it would be a much better from our current set up (we use in-ear monitors). If you can prove me wrong, please say so.

Yeah, I was edging towards 4x10 anyway, if I want more low-end later down the line, I could just get a 1x15 to pair with it.

What about the Ashdown MAG-300H? I like the vintage sound, and I'd have enough money to pair it with a nice Ampeg 4x10 (B-Series, maybe SVT), or would I be better off getting a higher range amp?
Last edited by RatzaChewy at Mar 22, 2009,
Ashdown are okay, but theyre unreliable at times. But saying that, i havent had an issue with mine. What about something like an Ampeg 2x10 combo? And yeah the WorkingPro series by SWR are good too. make sure whatever you get, that you have room for expansion at a later date. Laney RB4's are also worth checking out, you get good value for money with them, and they have all the features you would need.

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by RatzaChewy
I was looking at the LH500 before, but unfortunately it's not post pre-amp/EQ, so I don't see how it would be a much better from our current set up (we use in-ear monitors). If you can prove me wrong, please say so.

I dont understand what yu mean in relation to it being used with in ear monitors
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
I dont understand what yu mean in relation to it being used with in ear monitors

It's mostly the preamp and EQ that I'd use it for, as I wouldn't be able to hear the cab while using in ear monitors and the majority of the sound is controlled through the desk, so the cab probably wouldn't be used at a high volume.
Scott B - i need to upgrade my amp too... was the LH500 a good purchase? i havent had a chance to test one out yet, i was just abit worried abit the limited eq and Pre-eq DI. What do you think of them?

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
well is everyone else still going some form of direct as in PODs etc for guitars? if there is already a few amps up there getting an accual bass amp would be great, if they on the otherhand are all going direct too, a bass type floor processor might be best because you would be the only one up there with an amp. i played guitar in my church and i refused to use a POD until i finally got tired of being the only one producing alot of stage volume...and ya know churches are picky on stage volume.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
well is everyone else still going some form of direct as in PODs etc for guitars? if there is already a few amps up there getting an accual bass amp would be great, if they on the otherhand are all going direct too, a bass type floor processor might be best because you would be the only one up there with an amp. i played guitar in my church and i refused to use a POD until i finally got tired of being the only one producing alot of stage volume...and ya know churches are picky on stage volume.

Too right. There are two guitar amps, but both are played at a pretty low volume and mic'd up. The acoustic, piano and drums are all being amplified through the desk (the drums are in a soundproofed box).

So yeah, the more I think of it, the less of a benefit it would be to have a full rig for the church (at the moment at least, we're in the process of moving to a much bigger location).

So, SansAmp or POD?
Quote by lorrythebassguy
Scott B - i need to upgrade my amp too... was the LH500 a good purchase? i havent had a chance to test one out yet, i was just abit worried abit the limited eq and Pre-eq DI. What do you think of them?

I'd definitely recommend it, if you're worried about the EQ being limited, it really isnt. It's not a normal EQ system, instead of being active(ie what your ashdown and nearly all modern amps are(cut/boost)) it is passive. This means that you can only boost. You can get some really great sounds from it, and its quite hard to get a tone that sounds very bad.

It is hard to find a flat EQ sound with this head, as when all the EQ nobs are at 12, instead of being flat, it is supposed to be the "signature Hartke tone" which is apparently mids cut and lows boosted a little.

Another thing about the EQ is that it forces you to use your ears instead of your eyes, like a graphic EQ would(I find).

On the DI, I have never used it, but if it is pre-EQ it would probably be a much better solution to mic it up, as if you're playing in a live mix you might not like the scooped tone. But that said, with 350 watts at 8 ohm, you may not even need to use it, especially with a 410.

TS: If you are worried about the DI being pre-eq, use the rest of your budget on an EQ pedal, or even better, a rack and a rackmounted eq unit
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 23, 2009,
well usually i'd recommend a PODx3 or something for just going direct but PODs quality seems to have gone down sense i had to fix mine out of the box lol. well you could just get a smaller rig and look for one with a directout XLR on it so the bass amp could just double as a stage monitor.
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallien!
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallien!

Krueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegerrrrrrrrrrrrrr !