Page 1 of 2
This is so obvious it's bound to have been done before, but I searched and did not find anything relevant.

I'm sure that wherever you folks are, you may have noticed that there are too many guitarists and not enough players of other instruments, which you need to form a band. If you think about it, guitar is a convenient instrument to learn, but when there's far too many people playing the same thing, what does that do for the whole band-forming process?

More guitarists per band?
Switch over to a new instrument?

S'pose you join a band that already has a guitarist who is way better than you. Would you sacrifice your guitaristness and play something else instead, provided you could?

Would you agree to give up guitar for, say, bass, playing simple riffs the whole time?
On one hand, the band would benefit from a bassist.
On the other hand, you'd probably want to act in your own interests and continue to be a guitarist.

What do you folks think of their being waaaay to many of us in relation to other potential band members?
Most people are egotistical wanktards. That probably includes you. I wouldn't worry about it.
always a shortage of bassists and too may stupid kids who think they can shred.. it's a shame
If I was in that situation and had to pick up bass, I sure as hell wouldn't be playing simple riffs. I'd make it my goal to shred just as hard and overshadow the guitar completely.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Where I live there happens to be a shortage of guitarists. We have a shtload of drummers instead.
I have the habit to never think about things that wouldn't occur anyway.
yeah it is a pain in the ass when you want to start a band and everyone only plays guitar, and you can't really get most guitarists to switch to bass because it's almost like learning a whole new instrument. I play both primarilly focusing on guitar but every time I'min a band I almost always end up playing bass. and this pisses me off to no end.

Quote by Gigatiran
If I was in that situation and had to pick up bass, I sure as hell wouldn't be playing simple riffs. I'd make it my goal to shred just as hard and overshadow the guitar completely.

This is exactly why you can't just have a guitarist switch over to bass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by smb
Most people are egotistical wanktards. That probably includes you. I wouldn't worry about it.

smb is right. smb is such a wanktard his penis is encrustulated with layers of cottage cheese.

your mother told me
I can play more than one instrument so this doesn't really apply to me. I get what you mean though, there seem to be hundreds of guitarists advertising where I live and barely any bassists or drummers.
I wouldn't give up what I love to do. If I can't make a band, then **** it, no band. I'll just jam out with the other guitarists.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

More guitarists = more choice of guitarists to form a band with = a band with a decent guitarist/selection of guitarists = a ''good'' band

But yes, I see your point. This does not concern me however, as I play other instruments which I love more than the guitar.
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by The_Casinator
Where I live there happens to be a shortage of guitarists. We have a shtload of drummers instead.
I have the habit to never think about things that wouldn't occur anyway.

Sounds like a great place to live.

At my school, out of the 100 people in our grade, there are...17 people who play guitar. 6 of them actually play regularly and know more than 4 open chords.

There is one drummer. There is one girl who can sing, but no-one knows she can, and 2 voluntary bassists, both of which also play the saxophone.

Is the ratio approximately the same where you guys live?
Quote by DegaMeth
smb is right. smb is such a wanktard his penis is encrustulated with layers of cottage cheese.

your mother told me
Don't lie...I know you watch me in the shower.
It's time to cull the herd. In every town all the guitarists should meet up where they will have a lottery. Whoever's name gets pulled out of the hat, the other guitarists have to beat him to death with their instruments.
depends on what's important to you.

playing in a band,or playing an instrument you like playing.

if you can do both then great, but if you're in a band making music you don't enjoy playing what's the point?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Mar 21, 2009,
if we get rid of youtube, we'll filter out the guitarists that just want attention, and we'll be left with the true musicians and lovers of the instrument
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
<- plays in a double bassist band.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
I'm a rhythm guitarist. I don't have this problem. Everyone is too caught up in leads.
Duncan.Hills.Duncan.Hills. COFFEE!!!

If a tree falls in the woods, and a man is there to hear it, but the tree crushes the man, does the man dying make a sound?
Quote by Trefellin
It's time to cull the herd. In every town all the guitarists should meet up where they will have a lottery. Whoever's name gets pulled out of the hat, the other guitarists have to beat him to death with their instruments.

Or they could just use natural selection, and the best ones are more likely to get into bands.

Provided the local drummers and singers don't all suck.
Quote by sashki

At my school, out of the 100 people in our grade, there are...17 people who play guitar. 6 of them actually play regularly and know more than 4 open chords.

There is one drummer. There is one girl who can sing, but no-one knows she can, and 2 voluntary bassists, both of which also play the saxophone.

It's not that great:P
Only few of the drummers and bassists can actually play in the right rythm..
And how the hell do you know the girl can sing if no-one knows? :O
Quote by smb

Epic win
Quote by sashki
Or they could just use natural selection, and the best ones are more likely to get into bands.

Provided the local drummers and singers don't all suck.

No! People must die.
Quote by Trefellin
No! People must die.

will it make you feel better if I let you in on a secret?

everybody dies.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Its kinda bad when you have to have 4 guitar players, like in the competition I was in we got stuck with 4 guitar players, and our drummer had to be in two bands...kinda sucks but meh we made it work
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Quote by sashki

we have probably 400 kids in my grade, probably 60 of them play guitar, i only know of about 12 who are good, 3 singers (2 are guys, the others a girl), 15 drummers (one who's amazing) and 3 bassists, only one of which is good.

these are just the people i know of, there mite be more but im pretty involved in knowing who plays what at my school.... need more bassists.
it's a good thing i can drum and play bass aswell otherwise i'd be ****ed
This is why I love being a bass player. I get to decide who I play with cause there aren't any others in my area. I can think of one other good bass player at my entire school (out of 1200+ kids), and as one of the only bassists around, I've played in 4-5 different bands in the last two years until I found one I actually enjoyed being in. It helps that I'm now playing with the guy who's miles ahead of everyone else on guitar.

Life is good when you're in high demand.
I wish I could find another good guitarist for my band.

But nooooo, they all suck
Check out my band Disturbed
Faced with the prospect of forming a really good band, I'd play pretty much anything. I would then try to make a transition to guitar if I could.

I know about 2 bassists, a 2-3 drummers, and a few guitarists that all play pretty much the same thing. I don't go to a very musically orientated high school.
Yeah theres too many guitarists, Thats why i play bass now
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
im totally fine with it, due to the massive shortage of bass players ive gotten to play in several bands with people that are miles ahead of me
Quote by bass-boy-garith
im totally fine with it, due to the massive shortage of bass players ive gotten to play in several bands with people that are miles ahead of me

If you're standing miles apart how can you here eachother ... Oh wait.
Quote by sashki
Would you agree to give up guitar for, say, bass, playing simple riffs the whole time?
Maybe if people stopped assuming that bass is a boring instrument that only serves to provide frequency balance more people would show an interest in it.

It's kind of a catch-22 when you think about it. So many guitarists are "suckered into" playing bass but they don't know the first thing about it, so they write boring bass lines that don't add anything to the song. Then other guitarists assume that's what bass is about.

I'm a guitarist but I love playing bass. It's not a boring instrument, and it's not true that being able to play guitar instantly makes you a good bass player. Aside from the fact that they're both string instruments, the two have nothing in common.
I'm in a band with my brother an two friends.

One of the friend's plays drums and plays percussion in our school's band. The other friend owns a nicer guitar than me, but wants to play bass, so he plays bass and sings a few songs.

My brother is in the school choir and plays guitar in his own time, so he plays rhythm guitar and sings.

I myself play lead guitar, since I take lessons and play more in my free time.

It's all about knowing who's better at what and knowing your role in the band. If my brother was an egotistic asshole, he would say he's better at guitar, but he's genuinely a humble guy. I myself know that I can't sing as well as our bassist or my brother, even though I want to. I want to play drums too, but my friend's loads better than I am, and he doesn't know how to play guitar anyway.

Again, it's all about knowing your place.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by sashki

You better watch yo mouth, boy. In fact that's what I did, and I find playing bass to be as challenging, fun, and rewarding as playing guitar.
I never officially "formed" a band but I jump around between other bands and I jam with friends a lot. I have a least a passing knowledge of drums and bass so I switch instruments around quite a bit, filling in where I'm needed.

However, most of the guitarists at are school are pretty mediocre (me included) and there's only one really good bassist. A friend of mine is sort of dedicated to learning bass, but meh.

And the only really good drummer who fits the style of music I like to play graduated last year. He was a jazz drummer and left with the rest of his band (all trained in jazz) to move to Bloomington and be a badass band.
Yeah, throw a needle anywhere around my school, and you'll pretty much always hit a guy that "plays" guitar. I used to be impressed by that. Then I learned guitar. There was one guy that said that he could play Sweet Child. I was really impressed just because he said that. Then I heard him play. I now know that I can't trust school-age guitarists (and he has a friggin GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM). And about maybe 3/4 of all the so-called 'guitarists' only know about three open chords. C, G, and H. I mean what? Sigh.
Page 1 of 2