Hey UG,

So Im a regular guitarist, ive been playing for like 5 years now, I know a decent amount of theory, i memorized a couple scales, I know most chords, and I can read music at a toddlers level.

Im considering taking AP Music Theory for my junior year, I understand its a class for pianists and other classically trained musicians, but do you guys think Im going to get owned? or is it a good class to take?

Have any of you guys taken it? BTW I hear its one of the hardest AP tests =/

thanks, and <3
you really need to be good at reading music, so either buff up on it before next year, or don't bother
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
If you put the practice into it, you do fine. Just like any other class.

I suggest learning how to sight read (read sheet) before going into the class. 10-15 minutes a day for a week will help you memorize the notes. Then it's a matter of knowing where your notes are on your guitar without thinking about it. Which again, 10-15 minutes of practice for (a few) weeks, so long as you catch all your mistakes and practice efficiently.

And don't worry if you're "going to get owned" you're taking the class because you want to, not to worry about what others think of you.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Well I take AP music theory this year and let me tell you, it's easy. I never thought I knew a lot of theory. I've played guitar for 4-5 years so I know my way around the instrument. You would be surprised how much you really know, I say you should take the class, it's fun easy and you can still learn a lot from it. As for the AP exam, I missed the date for sign ups so I'm not taking it, but my friend in my class is in May I'll get back to you on how it went
Hey thanks, I feel a lot better,

Let me rephrase, I know like the notes on a staff, like FACE, and EGBDF or w/e im not that fast at recognizing notes though, is that bad?
Quote by speedylocs

Let me rephrase, I know like the notes on a staff, like FACE, and EGBDF or w/e im not that fast at recognizing notes though, is that bad?

No you'll be okay, at the beginning of the year you start off slow (First day of school for me was "What is a Bar line?" hahahah) You pick it up very quickly and it gets easier and faster as you go along
you guys are awesome =D

everybody at school has the rumor going that its ridiculously hard

thanks a lottt, i feel so stupid for listening to that crap
Quote by speedylocs

Probably know more then what they'll be teaching for the first month of the class.

Get out flash cards and practice. (back has answer, front has drawing)

I know FACE and EGBDF as well as slightly above and below. Just know its different for piano on the bass side, I can't remember that off the top of my head (my teacher only told me once)... something about A(ll) C(ows) E(at) G(rass) I think.... I could work it out from there xD

Just practice a little bit each day. Then you'll be far ahead and confidant when going into the class.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
I've had AP Music Theory for my senior year (this year) and most of it was review for me the first quarter. But then again I've worked with music theory for 3-4 years. Idk how the test is, although I'm signed up to take it next month. But because of this:

Quote by speedylocs
I know most chords, and I can read music at a toddlers level.

I would start with regular music theory so that you can form a basis for AP.

Unless by "most chords" you mean you understand how to use and develop chords such as a neapolitan or a b7b9
It will be hard if you can't read bass and treble clef well. Also learn all the keys signatures by memory and know how to construct rhythms and know about time signatures.
12 fret fury
Yeah i was in the same boat u were. I took it...good class....it will be a little difficult at first if u dont kno how to read music very well, but after a week or two you'll start catching on so dont worry.

Very well worth it, take it!!
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite