I've been writing a lot of grunge-funk based songs in the past few days and I have been using the really cool and weird guitar noises that I have picked up over the past few years as I feel it gives a very original sense to the music if used well. However, I was wondering if anyone else knows some strange noises that are made by guitars; stuff you may have stumbled across accidentally or have found out via other means.

Mine are:
- Fretting around the pickups (fretting lightly, as if doing harmonics) and picking, it makes an odd techno-ish sound.

- Hitting the strings (and sliding) above the bridge with a slide or similar object will make an eery and creepy sound or a sound that sounds if it belongs in a game like Space Invaders or PacMan.

- Playing an open string then dive bomb with the tremelo arm, as soon as the tension is as slack as possible place a finger on a natural harmonic and pull up and vibrato quickly. Darrel Dimebag (R.I.P) was famous for this particular technique as well as his use of artificial harmonics.

So what are your sounds?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Last edited by GangsterLi at Mar 21, 2009,
I bend harmonics (Tap harmonic then bend)
Strum the headstock (Tom Morello style)
Bend strings off the neck for extra weird noise
Use tap delays for looping riffs upon eachother
Stuff like that ya know
Yeah bending off the neck adds some crazy noises to a solo...
also the rubbing the strings with a slide thing gets you some weird stuff, pretty well known...
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
thanks
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
For a very eery sound, I like to finger a very dissonant chord up around the 17th fret (Like m2 and b5) and then strum behind the chord on the neck. If you up the reverb to almost max if you want, and then add some delay you get a very, very dark, atmospheric sound.

If you wanted it to be more upbeat, change the chord to a major chord. I did that for one of my friends songs and it sounded really good.
With high gain, dragging a detached trem bar lightly up and down strings.
strumming headstock, pressing down on the strings after the nut with harmonics (vibrato natural harmonics)
whammy pedal on all the way, palm mute the top e string high up on the neck (frets 15-24). Mess around with some HO/POs, legato, bends, whatever. Sounds like R2D2. I do it at gigs sometimes. Always gets a good reaction out of the crowd.
on an acoustic, push the strings toward the sound hole. on an electric, you can just push down on the string right near the bottom of the neck. It's like tapping an open string and a place about 2 higher than the highest fret on the neck. it sounds awesome.
- pull strings off fretboard
- superimpose a string over the string lower (take the D string and pull it up and over the A string, crossing them) then fret both the strings while they're crossed and whack away at them. Works best at around the 7th fret, it sort of sounds like a snare drum with some distortion.
- touch the end of your guitar cable to your tongue
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed